Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Question Fire Marshal Inspection

Hi guys/gals

I dropped off my Southwind this morning to get glass repaired and while I was there I was told a fire marshal had to inspect the MH before I was able to get it registered.

first MH so I had no clue, is that with all MH's, the Fire Marshal inspection that is or just my state Kentucky.

Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First I ever heard of this type requirement. Sure you are not in California?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I know they inspect houses that are sold, but RV???? All they really look at are CO and smoke detectors. Sounds like Kentucky is trying to make $.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the dates on the LP & CO detector. If over 5 years old they will need replaced.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought ours from CW (used) and no state inspections
at all, as far ass I am aware.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilla View Post
Hi guys/gals

I dropped off my Southwind this morning to get glass repaired and while I was there I was told a fire marshal had to inspect the MH before I was able to get it registered.

first MH so I had no clue, is that with all MH's, the Fire Marshal inspection that is or just my state Kentucky.

Kentucky requires a vehicle inspection for roadworthiness and odometer reading by a certified inspector ... apparently the County Sheriff designates inspectors. May or may not be a fire marshal. It's not just motor homes. Apparently if the vehicle is new you don't need to do this (dealer does it).

http://transportation.ky.gov/organiz...c%2096-182.pdf
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Really ? I had no idea Kentucky was in such dire shape
Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

I bought a motorhome in 2009 that was registered out of state from Kentucky. The Fayette county clerk office said I needed a fire marshal inspection before they could issue a license. After being quoted around $150 by the local RV dealer, I contacted the state fire marshal office. They were happy to send an inspector to my home to review the coach, and the fee was around $50. Be sure to have smoke and propane detectors working, and a fire extinguisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilla View Post
Hi guys/gals

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #9

In Nebraska, a vehicle (any) brought in from out of state has to have a LEO inspection done to make sure VIN on vehicle matches on paperwork ($10) charge.

Kind of a pain getting MH into small parking area.

GL Arnold