Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for info. Fellow at local CB shop at home said a home base antenna is the way to go. That was $200 install. (DH wasn't convinced!)

Dave...till.

We're in Forest City, IA., right now to get our list of 'fixit' items done on the new coach.

We're hooking up a Winnebago caravan in Moab, UT., this time next month. We just got the itinerary 2 days before we left, finding out we had to have a working CB and external antenna for communications. DH did search the 'net and found Firestik (14 NGP). No time for 'shopping/buying/shipping'. However, we did luck out and stopped at Walcott CB in Davenport, IA., on our way by and got their last one. Install guy was off on Wednesdays...so 'MY' install guy (DH) brought his tool shed to install later when we are parked for a few days.

We spent all our time last week/weekend getting ready for family reunion. Had 24 at our house Saturday...and 88 were at picnic at my cousin's on Sunday. Pack for a trip?! Shop for CB antenna?! Leave on trip?! Drive 400 miles in 97 degree heat where coach A/C can barely blow cool air?! Yup...somehow we did it without killing each other!! Now it's a cool 88 deg forecast! We can relax now...maybe.

We'll update when we get installed and working -- but it'll be a while!

Rose
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club

Well, the deed is done. Before he drilled any holes, he put the antenna on a small piece of wood, hooked everything up, and got antenna up on the roof (radio still in coach, of course) to test different areas for the best SWR reading.

He had read up on how to get into the ceiling. (Keep in mind, we just went from gasser to DP.) We have a (real) wood piece that goes across close to TV that has nubs every so often--where the nubs come out and expose screws. Take all that off (carefully!) and pull down on liner a bit and there it is: the upper 'guts' between ceiling and roof.

At the lower (right) back corner of the cabinet above the passenger seat, he drilled a small hole to feed coax up and across to the upper (left) back corner of the cabinet where he poked a hole with a phillips screwdriver to feed the coax up into the ceiling -- to connect to antenna. The coax comes down from the cabinet along the edge of the curtain (unseen) to where we'll hang the mike/radio. The coax in the cabinet is hidden by the books/cds etc.

When dish was in down position, we tested SWR. About 1.5 for channels 1 and 40..so looks like we're good to go. Guess I'll 'owe' him $200 for the install?!

Rose
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ya did good. Sometimes it is better to buy your way out of a problem. It sounds like you chose a shop that knew what they were doing. Now you have something you can be proud of and don't have to worry about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #18

Would someone please tell me where to go? (easy now!) I would like to post on any site but cannot figure it out..I am registered and promise I will never do this again.I am a retired rocket scientist..Thank you
Arlo Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Arlo, what is the problem with posting. Under a forum heading, you can select to add a new topic by clicking on the New tab. A pop up window will appear to put your message into. If you do not get the pop up window, you will need to go into the browser (IE) settings and allow pop ups for this site.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #20

It's like the old "out-side your car window mount" type antenna. Mine came on the MH when purchased but the reception was not the greatest. I went back to dealer and they installed the 30"+ "trucker type" antenna and much better on the side of the MH. I would not wait in line for this Firestix antenna....