Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First Big Trip!

I'm finally letting go of the work world for retirement in March. Have layed out a trip to Ocean Lakes RV park for a stay then on to visit friends in TN and back to Michigan sometime in April. A little apprehensive about the weather around the 10th of March but we will play it by ear. My fiancé and I have made short trips last summer but this will be the first big one and hope for many more.

Any suggestions or what watch out for leaving at the time of year? I've planned routes using a trip planner. Reservations made and checked. New dolly to tow the car with hoping to get some practice with it as soon as some of the snow to melts. Concerned about tire pressures going from most likely cold to warmer weather. I know I'm kind of rambling now but I'm looking forward to and sweating the details for this trip. Words of encouragement and advice are always helpful.
mihiggie62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
If you intend to dolly, three things: Make sure the tires on the dolly are inflated properly; make sure you have a spare for the dolly; learn to put the toad on and off the dolly, pulling it up all the way against the stop up front and tightening the straps as tight as you can pull them. Drive ten miles or so and then tighten again.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

Good for you. Keep us updated, and, pictures.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nate......a couple of issues....first, you won't get that ahhhh feeling for about 5-6 months until after you retire when the realization that you're retired sets in and you begin to relax. Sooooo.....this first trip will still be a little chaotic.

Second, the Bounder is a nice coach, well built and will perform well.....so relax. Tires can go back and forth from cold to warm weather without issue. Not to offend anyone, but I read posts where people take their tire pressure every morning before they hit the road. If I had to do that, I would just shoot myself!

I've been RVing for over 40 years and have never had a blowout or a flat on the road.....knock on wood. With that said, I check my tires about every three or four months. Even then, they are only off about 1-3 pounds. You can visually look at your tires when travelling and know they're good.

Congratulations and enjoy your retirement, it's wonderful!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

A TST TPMS allows me to check my tires before every move. I added air after a year; about 4lbs.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

The major concern with leaving in March is will my water freeze... Suggest you do not fill water lines until far enough South. Bring bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth, and a few gallons for flushing commode. , Your return trip should be alright. BUT there is always the sudden winter storm that pops up. Keen an eye on the weather reports. Then all that's left is to enjoy the adventure...
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote