Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
First long trip, my thoughts.

We just returned from a 7 day 1500 mile trip and I have a few thought.

Truck stops are for trucks. I am 40ft long, so I got fuel at both loves and pilot and got attitude at both places. Sad

Walmarts that offer overnight offer it to everyone. Big rigs will park feet from you and run their engine all night. Ear plugs required. Stay in a RV park worth the money for a good night's rest.

Rush hour in big cities (seattle) can last all day and drain you. Plan for it.

The most stressful part of any trip is the DW until she gets behind the wheel and sees the road from the drivers seat.

What have you learned from your first trip?
webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your negative experiences. I have over 8,000 miles logged this year so far, am currently in Anchorage Alaska. I am traveling in a 36 ft pusher with a Jeep toad and will be traveling back to Minnesota started next week after 6 weeks on the road. I prefer truck stops for fuel, for access alone. I have never had any issues with anyone.
Yes WallMarts can be noisier with larger MH's and Trucks running their engines. I try to be careful in how I place my rig to help minimize those problems.
Give it some time, it will get better. Good Lucki!
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 AM   #3

I learned its alot of work packing and unpacking all the time and its not a cheap way to live in spite of what others say. It may be cheaper but its not cheap.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
After + 20 years of RV'ing we've learned not to set hard schedules so we can pick and choose where we stop so if we see something interesting we can take the time to go see it.

We also outfittted the coach so most everything stays in it so we don't have pack/unpack.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
IC2

Some of the joys. We have 'experienced' most of those as well. I especially like those elderly trucks with diesels that were originally built so every moving part can be easily distinguished and heard. And is parked next to me and blows off air every 5 minutes or so to enlighten the experience further.

Since we pull a 5er, have experienced even more of an attitude from truck stops. Suck it up mister truck driver, my fuel purchases are just as important to me as yours plus I wont camp at the pump for 30-40 minutes.

We don't/wont do Walmart. We aren't that cheap that a CG will break our bank and don't need to save 40 or so bucks for that next RV payment. Walmarts are NOT conducive to a restful trip with their constant noise and bustle.

Big cities - never fun but a necessary Interstate travel evil. Hit Chicago, St Louis or Hotlanta at the wrong time .......

My wife just will not drive the TV and 5er even on desolate stretches of highway. In the past 2 years have hauled about 15,000 miles, 100% with yours truly behind the wheel.

Don't let it get you down. This is still a fun way to travel and see the country. Schedule your days and may of these nasties will, if not go away, be easier to handle
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

We fuel up at truck stops. Never ever got attitude. Maybe it is something you are doing?

Trucks even on the road have been very good to us. Always let us in, but I let them in too. They have waved or flashed their lights many time.

We don't travel late at night to need a wal mart, but if it is a problem then can't you park somewhere that would be difficult for them to park near you?

We are full timers so we travel at non-rush hour times. I know that that isn't always possible for others.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #7

With our fiver, I usually go to exits with multiple fuel choices so I can find an easy access. We do truck stops occasionally to exercise our RV Plus card, but fuel is much more expensive there. We've never had an issue with truck drivers and had a couple of them do a great job to save us from my mistakes a couple of times. I will always give them a break to move over and let them in.
Can't say we've had bad experiences at WalMart either as we try for the frontier of the parking lot. We use a 12v fan for white noise to mute outside noise.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

We've only done WalMart a couple of times without a problem. The nice part of finding one that you can overnight at is that there usually around restaurants and other shops that you may need to pick something up, if not WM itself. The OP should get an app on his/her phone such as RVParky that'll point out other options to overnight, such as Cracker Barrel or almost any plaza parking lot. We have had good luck at interstate rest stops. On some, if not crowded, we will park in the cars section all the way at the end to get away from the trucks. Never been an issue. Our rig with toad on a dolly is over 50 feet and we can't back up like the tow behind RV'ers can and fueling up, gas class A, really isn't anything I worry about. I have used Love's, Flying J etc. but when pulling off the interstate I look for an exit that has several gas stations, such as Marathon, that will have parallel pumps to the road for easy entry and exit. The OP at 40 ft. shouldn't have a problem either at these types of places. Yeah rush hour can suck just about any decent size city, but I have found if you are patient and courteous and use your turn signal well in advance of your move, people will let you make lane changes and merges more readily. Just returned ourselves from a 1500 mile trip to the Michigan U.P. cutting across Ontario, Canada from Hamilton and hit bumper to bumper stand still traffic on the way home. Though sitting in traffic can be annoying, the courteous folks that let me in to navigate several lane changes put a smile on my face while commenting to the DW what a nice person the car behind us was for each time someone pull back to let us cut in. OP, don't despair it'll all come to you with more trips and tips learned each time out.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
After + 20 years of RV'ing we've learned not to set hard schedules so we can pick and choose where we stop so if we see something interesting we can take the time to go see it.

We also outfittted the coach so most everything stays in it so we don't have pack/unpack.
+1 to this. I'll add that if I can't avoid rush hour I try to plan my route that avoids the worst of the traffic even if it adds some miles. I often try to find roads that bypass cities all together during these times but some times you have no choice so finding a place to stop for a break helps as well so that when you get back on the road the worst is over.

And our RV's have their own set of house items so all we are packing is food, water, and clothes when it comes time to load up for a trip. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have stayed at rest stops, truck parking spots, Walmart, Church parking lot, Pilot, anywhere I can get a few hours sleep. Getting there is NOT half the fun for us at this point (Not Retired) so 3-5 hours and I am back at the road. Just completed a Florida trip and drove 12-15 hour days so we could maximize our vacation time at WDWFW.
IF I was retired that would be much different. I would find an RV park or state park/camping ground and stay there. Since I would be looking for rest I would not care about hook ups, and just a quiet spot to relax for a night or so. Electric would be nice in summer but not necessary. I wouldn't be worried about tanks or water as I carry enough for trip use.

there is a great app I use for parking US Rest Stops and Truck parking USA both available in the APP store.
Safe travels
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used to do 700 mile 1 day trips in a car for 40+ years. Always wanted to slow down. Retired, if we do 200 miles a day in the MH that's too far. No rush, we drive 55-60. Only once a day do I pass someone.
So "Buy my gas, I'll go your speed"
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post

What have you learned from your first trip?
Our very first trip was in 2013 in our then 19 year old HR. We did a little over 6000 miles out west and back. Mostly what I learned is that my love of the road trip is totally justified.

We have taken 2 additional cross country treks in our old rig. Last year was 7500 miles to the pacific coast and back to PA. This year was a week touring New Mexico, and then a week in Tucson at a total of around 5500 miles or so.

Walmarts are our friend. We try to cover large distances every day to get past all the scenery that looks just like home and out to where the sky opens up. Overnighting at walmarts helps make that doable as it really doesn't matter what time you get in. I am personally a fan of white noise... big rigs and generators running at night actually kind of lull me to sleep. There was a massive freight train that ripped me from my sleep at the carlsbad NM walmart...twice... I could have done without that...

We overnight in rest areas too... never had a problem.

Rush hour traffic is just another test in life. I find that if you pick the center lane and run a little slower than the rest of traffic, you'll be just fine. If you miss an exit, the world doesn't end... you just drive around a little more.

Not sure I've ever gotten any guff from the truckers... I do not refuel in the truck areas though. At 35' we can maneuver most any gas station, so I just refuel with the cars and pickup trucks. Sometimes... they give me a look. But it's probably because they're afraid we're the Griswalds.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

Sounds to me like a pretty normal day in the big city.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #14

Last time I pulled into a truck stop with my little D250 and Toy Hauler some professional decided to have a massive fuel leak at the pumps while he was inside the store sitting the whole place down. I didn't really need fuel anyways as i only had 150 miles to go so just left.

Concur on Walmarts not being the best for overnight but will say Cracker Barrels if you can find one are usualy quite quiet.