Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 AM   #15

Here is what this site says.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-78054.html

Expert Reply:

You just need to pack the bearings on hub and drum assembly*# 8-276-5. There's no such thing as too much grease for bearings! If it is an EZ lube hub with a grease zerk fitting at the end of the spindle you will know there is enough grease once it starts oozing out.

The hubs on My tow dolly are full of grease and haven't overheated.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #16

"Filling the hubs with grease causes the bearings and hubs to run hotter as the grease does not allow the heat to dissipate. They are all shipped that way now and as long as the bearing is filled no more grease is needed."

Surely you don't believe this....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ugh now you’re making me want to pull my wheels...

But if I did that, I’d have to put on disc brakes... the part that makes me the most nervous there is the wiring into the plug because I don’t know where all mine is routed exactly just yet..and how do i know which actuator will work perfectly with my on board brake controller... time to go back to bed.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #18

Don't think i saw it mentioned but if you don't know what the original grease is, then it's probably not a good idea to just add from another tub. Some are not compatible with others so it's a good idea to clean the bearings of the old grease before repacking with new. You don't want to mix different greases, especially one with a different base.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I thought trailer lug nuts were supposed to be torqued before each trip?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritDoc View Post
Haven't been able to find a dealer for them up here. I'm still looking.
Try Les Schwab they have them.
Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry an IR gun and shoot my tires/wheels every time I stop.

Suggest you do the same, can't hurt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I thought trailer lug nuts were supposed to be torqued before each trip?

Fred
You retorque them once, after having them off at 50 to 100 miles.

The OPs lugs didn't fall off. The bolts holding the brake backing plate did.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
"Filling the hubs with grease causes the bearings and hubs to run hotter as the grease does not allow the heat to dissipate. They are all shipped that way now and as long as the bearing is filled no more grease is needed."

Surely you don't believe this....

I can see it now, in the back page ads of RV mags, "Hub radiators to keep all that hot grease cool"

Comes in sets of 4 or 6 for all of your trailering needs.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #24

Your first post was about a trailer and a truck. I was not clear which you had problems with. My comment about a wet axle was for the truck.

Trailer hubs are completely different and should be well packed with grease to the point the grease pushes out when greased. The art of putting together a trailer hub is in working the grease into the bearing AND tightening the nut just right. The nut needs to be snugged up first with an extra 1/4 turn , rotate the drum, feel the resistance then back off about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Feel the resistance change and if you got just a discernible amount of play, that's it. Done right and it should last forever. Oh yeah can't have the brakes dragging that will mess up the feel.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Ugh now you’re making me want to pull my wheels...

But if I did that, I’d have to put on disc brakes... the part that makes me the most nervous there is the wiring into the plug because I don’t know where all mine is routed exactly just yet..and how do i know which actuator will work perfectly with my on board brake controller... time to go back to bed.
Your fine. If you believe all the worry worts on here you would never go camping. Repack the bearings every 1-2 years depending on how many miles you drive each season. When I pulled mine after owning the trailer for a year, and having put over 5000 miles on it they looked brand new and the grease and brakes were just fine. With your truck you won’t need disc brakes either. They are nice but not necessary.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
First real OMG!

This happened to our family many years ago but it was the boat we were towing that lost a wheel! My father was a labor leader and the union was in the midst of combatting a wildcat strike! The boat trailer had been tampered with while parked in front of our house in preparation for the trip! We had already had to put our pick up in the shop because it had been stolen and messed up pretty badly. We were on our way to Mexico for a weeks vacation and made it about 15 miles short of the border when the wheel went sailing by and, those of us in the Cabover felt the thunk of the trailer dropping to the ground. My dad managed to keep everything upright and got us stopped, but the boat trailer was a mess! My dad dropped the trailer by the road but had to go back into Tucson to get a new leaf spring, U bolts for the leaf spring and assorted other parts necessary to repair the trailer. (I will never forget the gouges that the u bolts left in the asphalt where the trailer had been dragged and how much, or little, of the u bolts were left after the abuse!) Dad got back to the boat and trailer, put everything back together only to discover that a very important lock nut had been left sitting in a can of solvent back at the garage!

We crept slowly into Nogales until my dad located a junk yard. It was now well after dark, and they were closed, so my dad pointed the truck lights into the junk yard and lo and behold, here came a pack of dogs hell bent on earning their keep! So, from somewhere in the trip supplies, my dad hauled out food he could throw to the dogs while my kid brother jumped the fence to locate and steal (what a bunch of damned rednecks we were!) a lock nut!

It took us 8 hours to make 65 mile trip! One never to be forgotten!