Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #15

I live in province Quebec and have lot familly in NY state...belive me it's more easy to come in Canada then to go in Us and that is for Canadien or Us citizen

Whenever you are in the world if they ask you ID take off sunglass to have a better look on your magnificient face and put it back when formality are done!!!!

Dont know exactly the law about fire arms but here you really dont need it for your safety....here fire arms are for hunting only and it's pain in the (...) to have one for it.

At Canadian border they refuse and are prohibed ALL kind of firework....so can you imagine fire arms and amunition !!!!!!!

Hope it's help you !!!!
shrekchatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #16

I always get a laugh when I read the posts about bringing guns into Canada.
I don't care if your have permit, don't care if you won't go anywhere that doesn't permit guns, don't care if you have always carried or it's allowed in your State.
We are a country with laws, no different then our southern neighbours.
We spend a lot of time travelling in the US and we respect your laws, and do not look for excuses and loopholes to get around these laws.
Now that marijuana has been legalized in Canada (effective October 17, 2018), it doesn't mean we should be allowed to bring it into the US?
I can't imagine anyone would even ask the question.
For all those who have never been to Canada, and those who have, we welcome you to come up and have a wonderful vacation, enjoy our scenery and our culture, you shouldn't have to leave your camping gear behind as the original poster asked, just leave your weapons at home.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes crossing an international border there are some things you don't want to carry why go into secondary inspection if you don't have too some vehicle can get held for hours and as far as sun glasses the inspection both is always under a canopy in the shade its important to make eye contact with the BSO, Border Security Officer as a Canadian we just don't have the same need for guns when you carry them they must be empty trigger lock on and secure as a few have said unless it hunting season just don't bring them and if you ever have a chance watch the TV show Border Security and see what happens when you bring firearms in from the US to folks that don't know the rules
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
The Winchester pump barrel is exactly 18".
Not sure but I think if you measure the barrel it is actually 18.5 inches long. I think Canada requires a 470 mm barrel.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
I don't care if your have permit, don't care if you won't go anywhere that doesn't permit guns, don't care if you have always carried or it's allowed in your State.
We spend a lot of time travelling in the US and we respect your laws, and do not look for excuses and loopholes to get around these laws.
Now that marijuana has been legalized in Canada (effective October 17, 2018), it doesn't mean we should be allowed to bring it into the US?
For all those who have never been to Canada, and those who have, we welcome you to come up and have a wonderful vacation, enjoy our scenery and our culture, you shouldn't have to leave your camping gear behind as the original poster asked, just leave your weapons at home.
I think the conversation here is from folks who trying to adhere to the laws of Canada.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Very well said. Oh Ruuuuby, Don't Take yer guns to Town. Er, Canada......
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
I can tell you of the "fun" I had going into Canada from Washington a few years ago. It was a whitewater kayaking trip wih kayaks inside my Sprinter van. I am also a retired LEO but seldom if ever carry. It was a sunny day and I wear prescription glasses. One pair are sunglasses. Well I was wearing those when we pulled up. The agent didn't like me wearing them and told me to take them off. Now I can't read anything. He then asked me about guns. Parts of guns. Cleaning gear. You name it. I told him no (I know better, we had nothing). Well after several minutes he sent us to be searched. We had to go inside and I forgot I was still wearing my sunglasses. They didn't like that. More of the same questions. More no answers. Finally after a search and 30 minutes we were on our way.

I learned a few things.
1. I think my passport shows my LEO career.
2. Canada REALLY doesn't want guns coming in.
3. Canada really hates sunglasses.
FYI,

US customs does not like sunglasses or your back windows rolled up.

Your passport or other iD’s do not have you wearing sun glasses.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #22

Quote:
The Winchester pump barrel is exactly 18".

You might want to measure it the way Canada says to—close the action and stick a measuring rod down until it contacts the breach face and then see what the length is from the closed breach face to the end of the barrel. The shotgun I took was a Remington 870 Tactical Express. It has a 18 1/2” barrel. The CBP asked me how I was transporting it and I told them truthfully that it had a cable lock through the action, inside a case and was stowed under a bench seat in my locked trailer. He said I was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #23

Quote:
We plan to cross into Canada in a few weeks ourselves for the first time and I am still confused about the firearms part. I have read many posts here that provide links to the rules and laws.

Several posters say no hand guns period. Others say that if you fill out the proper forms, pay the fees and declare a hand gun that it is possible if the hand gun is not on the prohibited list.

I have a S&W Airweight 38...a very common pistol with no outside hammer that I would like to legally take across. I have a Florida Concealed Carry permit,

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what is the real deal on this without showing me any more links or admonishing me not to do it for whatever reason? If it is not legal I simply will not take it.

Thanks
I have the same revolver... NO on handguns in Canada...leave them behind! What does an enclosed hammer and a Florida CCW permit have to do with anything?...you're in a foreign country and are under their rules! You are asking for trouble if you are one who would debate the issue at the border....their country..their rules!

Also, I'd stay away from further firearms conversations here as Irv2 rules prohibit it.

Your call.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #24

Well I have some good info about crossing the border into Canada. You may bring up to 24 bottles or cans of American Beer.....
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Everything you need to know about Firearms is found here:
Visitors / Non-Residents - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Everything about crossing the border is found here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. After weeding out the firearms discussion, which I clearly stated I'm not taking, it sounds like it will be a smooth event. It is our first time to cross the border out of the country and I am just a little anxious. I just want to avoid spending hours having my vehicle search because I have a set of fingernail clippers in my console lol.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have talked about traveling into Canada next summer crossing from Montana and heading up to Banff. I don't prefer to travel across the US without my handgun but understand I cannot take it or any ammo into Canada. I have heard that some folks secure their firearm/s in the US before crossing....lockers maybe, or paying a US based firearms dealer to store it?

Anyone shed any light on those options?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Crossing north is pretty easy. Done it a few times in the coach with fresh fruit and vegetables, dogs, tobacco, milk, beer, spirits,,,. No problems, searches or confiscations and everything declared as necessary. Just follow the directs of the customs officer, answer their questions truthfully and don't answer the question that wasn't asked. Yes or no is always best.

While you're enjoying the hospitality of our northern neighbor keep a brief list of the trinkets and other items you acquire as tokens of the adventure. It will help speed your progress once you turn south and head for home which can be a bit more difficult then the trip north.