Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Smile First time on this forum and have a ?

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and am new to the RV world. I just aquired a nice 1990 Western RV 5th wheel. This company I cannot find a webpage for. I need the manual for it to find out how to do basic stuff. Like make the nice big fridge work. Does anyone know where I could buy the users book for these RVs?

Thanks
Jay
Vancouver Wa
Wanderingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

The Western RV I know made Alpine Coaches and Alpenlite 5ers and slide-ins. If yours is an Alpenlite, that Western is out of business by a few years (2008 or 2009 I believe).
However, there is a forum dedicated to Alpine Coaches that has some info for Alpenlite 5ers.

I suggest you go to the main page of the iRV2 site, go down to 'The Owner's Corner Forums' and start a new thread making sure you include Alpenlite in the subject line.

Can't hurt.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #3

The maker may no longer be around, possible gone pre-web, can you post fridge, make and model. Better chance that someone has those manuals as multi makers used the fridges.
Note the fridge will require a good 12volt power source to activate the control panel.
Once again welcome, and Safe Travels.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

The domain name for Western RV is now for sale, so I think they are gone or changed names. This used to be the info on them:
509-457-4133
3401 W. Washington Ave.
Yakima, Washington 98903 , USA

I find most RV manufacturer manuals not too informative. Mostly 'cover your a--' legalese and so general they cover multiple models and don't give real specific information. To find out about the systems in your RV, google the companies that made the components. If it's your refrigerator, look for a manual on their website. I made a list of brand and model # of all the equipment in my MH and looked on line for each item. I found and downloaded all the manuals and have it on my laptop and iPad for reference.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #5

Wow. This must be an active forum. Thanks so much everyone with your quick responses to my thread. Much appreciated.

I got a smokin deal on this 5th wheel from my uncle and am haveing a blast doing some tlc to spruce it up. Its in great shape. He bought it in 2006 and just parked it in his backyard and covered it up. He refreshed all the dryzair containers every few months and I cannot find anywhere where it may have leaked. I see where the awning arm attatches to the lower part of the side there is some dryrot and it has broken. The front door near the bottom has some dryrot also but for 800 bucks not bad at all. Tha electric jacks work as well as the airconditioner and microwave.

The propane cylinders are full (old style valves) today I want to fire up the stove and furnace to see if they work. Is there anything I need to know about doing this? Can I just turn the valve open to allow propane in the lines then just try to light the stove? Or is there more to it than that? I dont want to blow anything up.

Thanks everyone
Jay
Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingman View Post
Wow. This must be an active forum. Thanks so much everyone with your quick responses to my thread. Much appreciated.

I got a smokin deal on this 5th wheel from my uncle and am haveing a blast doing some tlc to spruce it up. Its in great shape. He bought it in 2006 and just parked it in his backyard and covered it up. He refreshed all the dryzair containers every few months and I cannot find anywhere where it may have leaked. I see where the awning arm attatches to the lower part of the side there is some dryrot and it has broken. The front door near the bottom has some dryrot also but for 800 bucks not bad at all. Tha electric jacks work as well as the airconditioner and microwave.

The propane cylinders are full (old style valves) today I want to fire up the stove and furnace to see if they work. Is there anything I need to know about doing this? Can I just turn the valve open to allow propane in the lines then just try to light the stove? Or is there more to it than that? I dont want to blow anything up.

Thanks everyone
Jay
HOOORRAAAYYYY!!!

Ive found all the users manuals to all the gear in my trailer. This will be a huge help...
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Check with a marine store. There's a product called GitRot that would work to fix the rot at the awning legs.
As far as the propane, if its been sitting for long, take the time to make some soapy water solution and check the fittings for leaks. It will take a bit of time for the propane to reach the stove before it lights.
good luck with it.
Bill
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=Wanderingman

Thanks everyone
Jay[/QUOTE]

Yes, use the soapy solution to check your connections as much as possible, then provide for good ventilation before turning on an appliance (open door or windows with ceiling vent open and fan running) so you don't accumulate propane inside while trying to light anything. LP is heavier than air, so it likes to hang around in lower areas.

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun! Welcome to the forum!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingman View Post
HOOORRAAAYYYY!!!

Ive found all the users manuals to all the gear in my trailer. This will be a huge help...
Yippee!! Welcome to the forum. Post up some pics of your RV.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two different manual sets for any RV.. one is specific to the RV and covers very little, Walls, Floor, and perhaps (not always) the entry door and that's about it. It may, if you are lucky, give the location of Fuses, Circuit breakers and Switches.

A motor home also has a Chassis manual, Like a car manual, much the same info but it only applies to the VEHICLE side of the motor home.

Fridge, Water heater, Air conditioners, Water pump, Waste tanks, Toilet, Vent fans, And yes, often the door, are all made by 3rd party companies. And most all of these you can find the company name and the model on a sticker or plate SOMEWHERE (may take some searching) and google: Company Model Manual

And a few clicks later there is a PDF on your hard drive.

And these are the manuals (Plural) you want.

I have my Television, Dash and House radios, Microwave, Air Conditioners, even my Toilets have downloadable owner's manuals. All the appliances and fixtures.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you found the manuals.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Glad you found the group. As you can see there's alot of information here. Enjoy and good luck with your project.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site and your new to you 5er. Looks like you've gotten some advice on finding a manual already. Hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you got a screaming deal. A little TLC and she should be ready to head out on the road. Make sure you check the tires, sitting is hard on tires. They dry rot, might look good but have gone bad just by sitting, hit the road and they blow like popcorn popping. Just a suggestion you can do as you wish but you do know some of the history on this unit as you know the previous owner, your uncle I'm sure will shoot you straight. Good luck and many safe travels. Jim

Tags
forum