Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

First timer, RVing. Need info.

Traveling from Missouri to Boise, Idaho. Pulling 27' ultra lite first BIG trip. How far should we travel each day? How about stopping overnight, should we get advanced reservations? Traveling highway 80 through Nebraska, and Wyoming. Highway 15 to 84 into Boise, ID. Any suggestions on how many miles to do per day and campgrounds along that route that would be good to stop at. Call in advance or call the day of stopping. Are there any good clubs to join that might save us some money at campgrounds etc. Thanks I will appreciate any and all feed back. Gary
garyrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Gary,

Welcome to IRV2 as it a great place to get info and learn about RVing.

First off I normally drive between 250 - 300 miles a day with rest stops in between to stretch legs. Also stop to have lunch.

I would recommend you join Good Sam Club and Passport America. I can email you and application to Passport America. They over 50% off certain Campgrounds and Good Sam offers 10% off Campgrounds.

There isn't anyway I can tell what campgrounds ro stay at on your trip to Boise however there are quite a few good ones as I recall but don't have that info at my fingertips. As far as reservations go we don't make reservations reason being that if you do and you don't like the campground you are stuck. Don't forget there are a lot of WalMarts, Flying J, and Cracker Barrel that you can stay overnight without camping.

Email me if you want the application for PA

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
WE are planning our first big trip to Yellowstone for July 17-24th . After hanging out here for a year, I decided the best way to plan it was to join Good Sam's. They have a trip planning tool that you can use and filters on for what you are looking for travel wise. They do list their campgrounds they give discounts at. I also then used app's on my tablet I downloaded. One was Allstays Camp and RV, another was Camp Finder. There's another one I didn't use much called RVParky. Anyway, these will fill in gaps on places to stay for the night. I made reservations at the places where I knew the timeline for sure, and are 'playing it by ear' for the other spots depending on how tired we are, how much some of those spots cost, and whether or not we are close to National Forest Lands and feel adventurous and want to dry camp overnight there 3 miles off a paved road. The nice thing about the apps are that they have phone numbers so you can call ahead a few hours of when you want to get there and see if they have spots open and how much they are. I know there are also books (like map atlases) you can purchase with that info in it also.
Sounds like you will be going the way we will be returning. Might cross paths! Wave if you see Honey. (Old green and yellow stripe 22 ft. RV)
Hard part for me is finding spots with airstrips close by in case weather is right and DH wants to fly... we are pulling our trailer with the powerchute in it.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi Gary,

Welcome to IRV2 as it a great place to get info and learn about RVing.

First off I normally drive between 250 - 300 miles a day with rest stops in between to stretch legs. Also stop to have lunch.

I would recommend you join Good Sam Club and Passport America. I can email you and application to Passport America. They over 50% off certain Campgrounds and Good Sam offers 10% off Campgrounds.

There isn't anyway I can tell what campgrounds ro stay at on your trip to Boise however there are quite a few good ones as I recall but don't have that info at my fingertips. As far as reservations go we don't make reservations reason being that if you do and you don't like the campground you are stuck. Don't forget there are a lot of WalMarts, Flying J, and Cracker Barrel that you can stay overnight without camping.

Email me if you want the application for PA

Good Luck!

My recommendations exactly!
Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you'll be on interstate nearly the entire way so probably no hidden problems to worry about. You might want to tell us a little more about yourself and how you plan to use your RV.

You'll get a lot of responses from retired/full time people like me who say we only drive about 250/300 miles per day. That might not fit your needs if you still work and only have a limited amount of time to get to Boise and back.

Drive as far as you feel comfortable. We almost never make reservations but rather call ahead when we feel we want to stop in an hour or so. It's rarely been a problem. We use a couple of different sites/apps to select a CG. I wouldn't worry about finding all the best CGs in route if you're only going to be there overnight. Get a pull thru, plug in and go to bed. On overnight stays there's not much in the way of amenities that you need.

As mentioned, many people when in "travel mode" just drive until they're tired and then pull into a WalMart (etc) to get some sleep and then hit the road again early the next morning.

As for clubs to join, it can really depend on how much travel you're planning to do. I generally think Good Sam and Passport America are no brainers... but if you're only going to be making one or two trips per year even they might not make sense.

Once you get to Boise, I've stayed at a fairly new CG in Meridian. We liked it.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks RickO,
It's great to get responses so quickly from RVers. We just retired last year and recently purchased a 27' ultra lite passport travel trailer. A trip to Boise to see son and family is definitely the longest trip we have ever made with any RV. Our little Silverado 1500, 2 wd, 4.8 liter v8, hopefully will get us there and back. We really appreciate the feed back. Gary, Rita and Minnie the Yorkie.
garyrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We start early in the morning - 7 a.m. or so and stop for the day about 3 or so. We don't use mileage, but time as a guide, (we may want to do something touristy). We have never had trouble finding a nice campground with room for us.

I typically do research for the route. We avoid the Interstate most of the time so we can really see something beside Jersey barriers and a blur of passing scenery. I do research the campgrounds on our path (there are several good websites showing free, nearly free, state, Federal, county parks as well as the privately owned parks) and have a few in mind we expect to be near at the end of our travel day.

A lot depends upon your reason for traveling, in this case, to Boise. If you have a deadline to meet, then you would adjust your distance and stops accordingly.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #9

Gary, I've made the trip from Omaha to Boise several times and for me it's all about getting there quick. I break the trip up into two days therefore, I find a point 10-12 hrs into the trip, and map out a rest stop, Walmart or whatever will work to get some shuteye and then finish up the trip the next day.
It basically boils down to how much time can you put behind the wheel without wearing yourself out. Another thing to consider might be the sites. This will add to your travel time however, I can assure you there is nothing to see on I-80 driving through Nebraska... very boring! Might need one of those 5 hr energy drinks just to get past the yawns. Something else to be aware of is weather. In Nebraska and Wyoming you could run into some strong cross winds. Sometimes it's best just to pull over and resume once they die down. Just depends on how your rig handles. Like others have stated, take breaks when needed and most off all, be safe.

Tags
rving