Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

First Trip Must-Haves

I'm sure that there must be plenty of existing threads on this, but I couldn't find one when I searched.

So, what do you experienced RVers think is necessary to have with you on a short first trip? We'll be on the road for four days. Our Dynaquest comes with a "kit", but I don't know what's in it. Do you think that the bedding package comes with sheets? Other than the special toilet paper, what else is mandatory?

Thank you for all your help and advice. I believe in learning from other's experience!
Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #2

Sorry to burst the bubble, but special TP is not necessary. Don't over think it, Wal-Mart is everywhere.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #3

We bought our first MH last year, so are still learning also. Beyond the basic basic items for housekeeping and utility connections, the most important thing you need is a good sense of humor. Things will go wrong and you will make mistakes, just learn from them and have fun. Anything else you find you might need are easy to find, Walmart and Dollar General are everywhere.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know your travel plans but one thing we did on our first trip was to bring the obvious, stuff to clean your body, stuff to eat easily, and stuff to sleep on and bourbon to drink. We started a must have, would like to have lists and went from there.

We bought our coach in Phoenix, our first coach, camper, tent, etc, and drove it back to Ky. In our 6 or 7 day trip we stopped at Walmarts along the way occasionally to get "stuff" from our list.

I agree that the biggest thing to get, or bring, is good attitudes and a sense of humor. Life for us has never been better since we picked up our rig.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #5

Here are some lists for RVs which will give you ideas. For your first short trip pick & choose what you think you'd use and add as you take more trips. You don't need special toilet paper. The 'kit' probably won't include sheets. Go to WalMart... you don't need special ones and don't buy the kind with deep pockets. Your mattress won't be thick. The 'kit' probably includes a cheapie sewer hose (buy a heavy duty one later on) and perhaps a water hose and they always toss in some toilet additive. Use plenty of water when flushing & you won't have to use additives.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...sts-printable/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 AM   #6

One of my favorite authors came up with a great idea for packing for a trip. He said to make a list of anything and everything you may possibly need, want or desire for the trip. Then separate into must have, nice to have and "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND" lists. Repeat as many times as necessary!
Traildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Miller hit i right when he said "sense of humor". We have been RVing for 12 years and things still go wrong, but we never let it spoil our trip. I think a must have is a mobile hot spot and a computer. With those you have access to a U-tube video that tells you how to fix just about any problem that you may have.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #8

Write a list of must-haves before your first trip, by your second trip half of that list youll realize isnt a must-have item. If truly camping very little is NEEDED. If glamping then a little more is WANTED.
justfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most dealers give you a starter kit that comes with a sewer hose, water hose, tank chemicals. There are three must have on my list:

1. Water pressure regulator since some campgrounds can have pressures as high as 100 psi.

2. Electric protection and at the minium a surge protector but that doesn't protect from the low voltage which is just as destructive as a power surge. I would recommend a good EMS that protects against both surges and low voltage and EMS are not cheap but a lot less than what it would cost for even one appliance replacement.

3. Also, I wouldn't travel without tire sensors like the TST or similar to detect tire pressures and temps in the tires.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our Dynaquest comes with a "kit", but I don't know what's in it. Do you think that the bedding package comes with sheets?
No sheets or anything like that, but the bed will probably have bedspread & pillow shams. The kit is probably a sewer hose and water hose, maybe a roll of RV TP.

You don't need special TP and probably no tank chemicals either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wheel chocks.
Rubber gloves for black tank dumping.
Cooking stuff! Maybe plan the menus and visualize the utensils you will need to cook/eat everything.
We're still in the "adjust the checklist" phase...

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Most dealers give you a starter kit that comes with a sewer hose, water hose, tank chemicals. There are three must have on my list:

1. Water pressure regulator since some campgrounds can have pressures as high as 100 psi.

2. Electric protection and at the minium a surge protector but that doesn't protect from the low voltage which is just as destructive as a power surge. I would recommend a good EMS that protects against both surges and low voltage and EMS are not cheap but a lot less than what it would cost for even one appliance replacement.

3. Also, I wouldn't travel without tire sensors like the TST or similar to detect tire pressures and temps in the tires.
Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
It seems pretty simple, however, a relative joined us on their first trip. He didn’t even bring a hose.....dahhh. Somethings are pretty obvious. White Teflon hose, pressure regulator is a good idea. Chemical for the black tank is pretty important. Power cord adapters depending on your rig electrical sizing. The rest is up to you: you like to “ rough it “ or you prefer a good hotel.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseat View Post
I'm sure that there must be plenty of existing threads on this, but I couldn't find one when I searched.

So, what do you experienced RVers think is necessary to have with you on a short first trip? We'll be on the road for four days. Our Dynaquest comes with a "kit", but I don't know what's in it. Do you think that the bedding package comes with sheets? Other than the special toilet paper, what else is mandatory?

Thank you for all your help and advice. I believe in learning from other's experience!
Here is a pretty comprehensive list I put together that also helps me remember things setting up / breaking down camp. I leave a lot of this in the trailer to make trips quick and easy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camping Checklist.pdf (124.5 KB, 43 views)
modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote