Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #1

Fixed Costs and depreciation over 5 year period

I need some help with the above and advice from those of you that have been doing this a long time

I am trying to finalize, best guesstimate of my costs over am ownership period of 5 years

Situation

We are non US residents so we be flying in and staying as long the visa we have been given. These could be 3 to 6 months per year

I am trying to work out what the " losses " over this period will be on :

Vehicle deprecation
Insurance Costs
Service Costs
Storage Costs

At this point I am excluding sales tax and registration fees as I don't know where I will be purchasing from. I can see these numbers vary massively as well

I think I know most of these numbers but looking for clarification or to be pointed in the right direction. I am deliberately not including camp sites/food etc. as these are massive variables depending on the individual

Starting Point

Purchase a new coach $ 400,000

Am I right on think depreciation is in the region of 10 % pa

Insurance Costs $ 3000 pa

I am stuck on this one as waiting for quotes, proving difficult as not a US resident. Does this sound about correct ?

Service Costs $2500

Assuming service every 10k, Can someone give me a rough cost on this. At 20k per year I am assuming 1 major & 1 minor service

Storage $ 3000

I am assuming if I want a home base to store the coach( indoor & temp controlled) this number is about right

Are there any other " fixed" costs I have missed off

Thanks in advance
jasondxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 AM   #2

I think you are close. Although I personally have no experience on a $400,000 purchase.

Here is what I think will actually happen:

You will spend your money, drive off the lot, enjoy your time here, and when it is time to sell... your going to have a tough time finding a buyer. So, you are correct assuming that you might get $200,000.

Camping, eating and driving (fuel) when you are over here is also a fixed cost.

You can expect to have a wonderful experience. Much to see here, 75% of our country is calm and beautiful.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Do a search...
There is a post w a good depreciation table.
It starts high and declines w age. I gave tested it a few times w sale & purchase of used MHs and it was pretty close to realistic prices.
From what I've read ithink I wouldtalk to NIRV about possibilty of a package deal...I believe they not only sell and service but also do storage. W 3 location across US ir might be worth a check. I also read their sales & service reviews are excellent.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote