Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #57

Is there a brand of TPMS that anyone recommends? Several I looked at on Amazon update only every five minutes. I am also curious as to the quality.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
Is there a brand of TPMS that anyone recommends? Several I looked at on Amazon update only every five minutes. I am also curious as to the quality.
I have this one and really like it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You had a TPMS but didn't turn it on for obviously a few thousand miles. It looks like that decision cost you a tire, TPM sensor and some lost time.

In my blog I have pointed out that if you use any valve stem extender and have a TPMS sensor on the end it is imperative that the outer end be firmly tied down. A rubber donut just isn't going to do the job properly.
We all know, or should know, that rubber ages and as it ages its looses its elasticity. it would be the elasticity that holds the "donut" in place in the wheel holes. If you choose to run these items then I suggest you replace them every three years.

and of course run a TPMS, turned on all the time.
Not a few thousand miles...a few thousand turns of the wheel.

And how would you tie it down
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, most have been wasting their time!
Trucker magazine set up a truck with various pressures and had drivers "thump" the tires. Of the 50 drivers only 2 got a 20% low tire correct consistantly and none got 10% low ones.
How many got the 50% low ones?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #61

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
How many got the 50% low ones?
If you can't get the 20% low ones 100% of the time you are damaging tires by running on them when they are considered "flat" for warranty purposes.

Still don't know how "Thumping" at a fuel or rest stop and discovering you have a tire that is very low is a good plan given that you probably just cost yourself a tire. If the "trucker" is driving a company truck it isn't money out of his pocket.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
I used that method for close to forty years and it was pretty accurate. Yes I did loose the odd tire but considering the number of tires I wore out without problems I'd say it worked pretty darn good.
Tire pressure monitors were unheard of back then and yes they are a great invention. You can get by without them if you pay attention to things.
A trucker that does not care about a company tire is a trucker that will lose time waiting for a replacement tire to be put on. Time is money.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #63

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Not a few thousand miles...a few thousand turns of the wheel.

And how would you tie it down
With tires rotating 500 - 700 rev per mile are you saying you didn't have the TPMS turned on for only 3 to 5 miles and the damage to the stem was done that quickly?

RE how to tie down the outer end of the extension hose. I provided a link in post # 50 and a picture in link # 56 for those that didn't bother to look at the info in the link. This method has worked on two RVs for over 50,000 miles with no extension hose or valve or TPMS sensor leaks or other problems.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
I have used the TST brand for over 9 years and have been very happy with them. I appreciate being able to talk to someone in Georgia when I have a question. It saved a tire on my tow vehicle, even though I wasn't towing at the time. We picked up a piece of metal in one tire. The TST tpms sent an alarm. The factory installed system did nothing. We were able to slow down and get back to our MH so we could put enough air in to get to a service station.
rvpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #65

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpeg View Post
I have used the TST brand for over 9 years and have been very happy with them. I appreciate being able to talk to someone in Georgia when I have a question. It saved a tire on my tow vehicle, even though I wasn't towing at the time. We picked up a piece of metal in one tire. The TST tpms sent an alarm. The factory installed system did nothing. We were able to slow down and get back to our MH so we could put enough air in to get to a service station.

Maybe you need to do a check of the "Factory" system when you have the time and access to air.
I would simply slightly unscrew a sensor and note the pressure when each system gave an alarm. The "Factory" system may be set to warn only after 25% of the pressure is lost. This is too low IMO as tire damage may be happening if you are driving at that point.

The system I personally bought is from Tire Traker. I like it because it has an "early warning" level that warns when pressure drops a few pounds from the "hot" running pressure. I also set my TrakerLow warning level to a bit above the minimum needed to support the load.
HERE is a blog post on How I set my TPMS.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Maybe you need to do a check of the "Factory" system when you have the time and access to air.
I would simply slightly unscrew a sensor and note the pressure when each system gave an alarm. The "Factory" system may be set to warn only after 25% of the pressure is lost. This is too low IMO as tire damage may be happening if you are driving at that point.

The system I personally bought is from Tire Traker. I like it because it has an "early warning" level that warns when pressure drops a few pounds from the "hot" running pressure. I also set my TrakerLow warning level to a bit above the minimum needed to support the load.
HERE is a blog post on How I set my TPMS.

My TST System does the same. I set my low pressure alarm at 10% below what I normally keep in the tire (cold pressure). I also have a fast leak alert, which was the one I got. I don’t even think about the factory system, I just use the TST system.
rvpeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires