Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Flexible 50amp power cord

I am tired of fighting a stiff 50amp power cord, we call it the "Black Mamba" as it will surly beat you up. Any experiences with power cords that will allow you to store it with any resemblance of order. Our current cord mostly has to be stored in the shape it was on the ground.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Fine strand SOOW cord is so much easier to handle. You can buy it at electrical supply houses and put your own ends on it. That stiff RV cable is for the birds.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

My power supply cord outer cover started to shrink away from the plug. That cord was stiff, especially in cold weather. So I replaced the cord with this one and it has been great improvement, especially when we go snow skiing and use the coach as our home away from home.

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-5.../dp/B00LH2HP4E

NOTE: the picture shows a plug in w=each end of the cord, however, the description indicates "male". When I received the cord, it only had a male plug the other end was just wires stripped and ready to install in the motorhome junction box.

I have pictures if you need them.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mine is from surge guard

came from their site, really flexible
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Fine strand SOOW cord is so much easier to handle. You can buy it at electrical supply houses and put your own ends on it. That stiff RV cable is for the birds.

This!!
I have a 40' SOOW 50 amp cable 6/4 cable. It all coils and fits in a 3 gal. bucket.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a suggestion....make yourself a short cord. Often people mess with these 30' - 40' cords when often all hey need is 10'. Have a 10' for the majority of your camping and then only deal with the long one when necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #7

Best I have found for a pre-made cord is the Park Power by Marinco. Not cheap though, so be prepared to pay. Work well for me in cold weather, and it's much more flexible than my less-expensive Camco.

Making one yourself is a good idea if you have the skills. The problem I have found though is weatherproofing the connectors on the end. Anyone found a way to solve that part of the problem?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:08 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The problem I have found though is weatherproofing the connectors on the end. Anyone found a way to solve that part of the problem?

Never had an issue with it. I always turn the power off before plugging and unplugging and have never seen any corrosion issues due to water. The only time it is really exposed is if plugged into an extension as one end is inside the electrical bay and the other is mostly covered by the pedestal cover. If you were plugged into an extension just put the connection on a rock or something so it isn't laying in a puddle.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Never had an issue with it. I always turn the power off before plugging and unplugging and have never seen any corrosion issues due to water. The only time it is really exposed is if plugged into an extension as one end is inside the electrical bay and the other is mostly covered by the pedestal cover. If you were plugged into an extension just put the connection on a rock or something so it isn't laying in a puddle.
That's good to hear. My cord plugs in on the exterior, so one end is always exposed.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #10

Mine has never been an issue. I learned a long time ago if you coil it in the electrical bay in an figure 8 format you eliminate the kinks.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Mine has never been an issue. I learned a long time ago if you coil it in the electrical bay in an figure 8 format you eliminate the kinks.

A more compact way is called "over-under". Used a lot in the entertainment industry where cords and cables must lay flat for safety and/or video director's OCD. Over-under is a variation of the figure 8, twice as tall but half the foot print. There are several YooToob vids of various roadies demonstrating the technique (none are me).

To add to Hohenwald's kink-free comment: both figure 8 and over-under keep the conductors and "fillers" from twisting inside the outer cable jacket and forming lumps and kinks. Spiral winding works okay if the same person does it, in the same direction, every time. At work I have cables that are 35 years old that look new and lay flat, and a couple of 6 month old cables that look like Porky Pig's tail and will never lay flat again... And winding cables over your arm? PLEASE... NEVER do that.

Edit PS: the cords that seem to have the best low temp handling are elastomer-jacketed. We've gone to SEOOW for multi-conductor power cables and I replaced the shore power cord on my Majestic with Southwire 8/3 SEOOW after handling their 4 and 5 conductor cables at work.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #12

You guys must have a lot more cord storage room than my coach has if you can 'figure eight' the cord and get it to fit inside the compartment. I have just enough room to coil the cord naturally.

I was watching a husband/wife team yelling at each other trying to break camp. Kind of like the fun watching people launch a boat! Well the husband took his thick electrical cord and jammed it into a compartment with it going every which way, then he yelled to his wife to get the TV cable and put it away. She proceeded to jam it into the same compartment kinking the heck out of the coax cable, then they proceeded to use their feet to jam a water hose into the same compartment. I wish I had gotten a picture of the results! Maybe it was their last day with a rental?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
You guys must have a lot more cord storage room than my coach has if you can 'figure eight' the cord and get it to fit inside the compartment. I have just enough room to coil the cord naturally.
Could be. I've never measured it but my electrical bay is probably 3.5 to 4 feet long and about 2 feet deep.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

As with many things, the better grades of shore cable are more flexible, with more flex in both the wire inside and the outer shield, but they cost more.

Here is an example, but you probably need the hardwired type for your Dolphin.

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-5.../dp/B00LH2E8SK
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power