Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flexible solar panels

All of the images I see for flexiable solar panels shows them flexing only in the length wise axis. I need panels that will bend cross wise, on the short axis. I don't care about length wise flexing in this application. The cross wise bend would be a short radius, like 2-3" radius bend.

Any ideas?

Another idea would be to buy individual cells and assemble my own panels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2023, 09:19 PM   #2

I doubt any of the current ones can bend a 3" radius in either direction.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:44 PM   #3

The flexible solar panels can arch to fit a slightly curved roof but none I know of can be rolled up.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the comments. You are saying what I expected from my own research. Guess I was hoping someone knew a little more than me about flexiable panels.

The RV roof has an "S" bend on both sides of the RV. It is a one piece layed up fiberglass body, no seams anywhere. The lengthwise bend is for stiffness in the fiberglass roof.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #5

although none of them seem to bend in a 3 inch radius, a quick search for "flexible solar panel" returned many results showing pictures of panels, some bent on verticle and some bent on horizontal axis.
Surf the web a bit more.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #6

If being flexible is the only criteria, these fit the need.

SCOrigin flexible Solar

They come with a huge disadvantage, LOW power output. Their largest panel is 12" X 73" but the amperage is 1.2A or 18W...
Parafango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it can not make a 3" radius bend it would of no use to me. I already researched the typical flexible panels that bend along their long axis.

This is why I turned to a larger group who might have knowledge of such a panel.

My objective is to get 400-600 watts on the roof of a Coach House Class C. I could and still may just use rigid panels and perhaps make some custom mounts. I went that route on our 5th Wheeler to clear the drain vents on the roof top. I have hoping not have such a high mount to clear the "S" radius bend in the roof.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #8

Read where early adopters to flexible panels degraded quickly compared to raised ridgid panel due to heat as well as top clear layer clouding. As well as hot panels loose efficiency . Later they found out really had to use plastic hollow core board under to allow air under for cooling. Part of problem is laying them over insulated roof. When they first came out you seen a lot of them used and tested on RVers channels. A couple years later seemed to have quietly removed the panels that probably had gotten free for reviews. I hardly see any new installs of flexible panels anymore or really much interest in flex panels at all lately.
Bourge RV sells thin solar film at about $3 20 a watt still only show it bending long way/lengthwise. Also far less than than what you are describing. It appears to need twice to roof space per watt.
I really don't like to discourage anyone on their ideas or projects . You have already found a real challenge already in designing them to work out
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:11 PM   #9

I do not recommend flexible panels. I had five "120-watt" panels taped with Eternabond to the fiberglass roof of my RV with a 1/2" air gap. Two of them shorted out after four years. The coatings on all of them was cloudy. When I removed them, the roof was discolored due to the heat they generated. I threw them all away and bought two ridged 190-watt panels. flexible panels never put out even close to the stated watts, probably due in part to the heat buildup underneath them. Am going to coat the roof within the next year or so.

They do flex on both the long and short axis. How much they flex would be different for each manufacture. You would also need to figure out how to mount them with an air gap more than what I did.
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #10

Something like this might work...

BougeRV Yuma 200W CIGS Thin-Film Flexible Solar Panel, The Most Flexible Solar Panel with Pre-Punched Holes for Easy Installation* https://a.co/d/cfffoko
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:19 PM   #11

CIGS or other flexible type panels typically have much less wattage psf and last only a few years. Even if they made one that bent that much it'll be a major degradation in output. Panels require similar sun input so if it's bent some parts will get much more than others which is even worse than having all less sun.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm having a difficult time imagining where you have a 3" radius bend. The only place I can think of is where the roof joins the sidewall, and rolling a solar panel from roof to sidewall doesn't make any solar sense to me. Obviously I'm missing something. Just curious...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:59 PM   #13

If I'm understanding your question....Just do a Google on your exact question.... 'How do I mount solar panels on a curved RV roof' and many sites will appear along with many YouTube videos. Here is one:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mo...ed-roof.51881/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels