Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The cheapest air curtain I can find is $235.

Ok, Arizona natives - when do these @#*%,! flies leave for the winter? They weren’t here last year when we arrived in mid November.
Well.... it's almost November. We're in Arizona and have no flies. I know for a fact there are certain types of flies that travel in packs and just pass through. We volunteered in Michigan giving lighthouse tours and there was once a one-week period where the flies were horrendous and the next morning they were gone. Other years during the same time period there were none. Lucky you! Sounds like the sticky fly paper is your best bet. At least it's working.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #16

We camped in Alberta last summer and there was lot of flies. We went to a hardware store and bought a couple of flybags for about $6 each.
The flies were mostly at the front of the motorhome where all the dead bugs were stuck to the grill.
I hung the flybag on the grill and in a couple days the bag was filling up.
These were just plastic bags with a plastic thing on top that allows flies to get in easy, but they can't find there way out. They come with a small puck like thing inside that looks like sawdust that dissolves in the water. You just add water up to the line and hang it up and soon you can just sit and watch them going in.

Here is a picture of ours after 2 days. The flies were almost 3 inches deep in the bag floating on the water. It's he best thing I've tried yet.

Here is a similar one at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/RESCUE-FTD-Non...sable+fly+trap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flybag.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	223618  
Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Flies are driving me insane

Check around your slide rollers and the seal around the slides for openings. Look around your seals on your bay doors too. I had a similar problem must have killed over 300 flies. Brought a bunch home in my bays. Others next to me had similar issues. I used the fly strips but didn’t work real good unless you hang a little weight on them to get them to straighten out. Some lived thru the winter in the coach. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	223620 Zoom in on this photo these survived the trip home until I found them.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:57 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisName View Post
Where's that thread on the salt shooting guns? They were having a blast shooting flies...
They're called bug a salt guns buy them direct from the manufacturer on ebay. Ooh the fun of killing flies with a gun.also makes for a good salt shaker when grilling. Okay maybe not but it was fun trying.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
They're called bug a salt guns buy them direct from the manufacturer on ebay. Ooh the fun of killing flies with a gun.also makes for a good salt shaker when grilling. Okay maybe not but it was fun trying.
Pink salt is suposed to work better than regular salt, i reloaded mine with it have not had any use yet, the white salt used to take a few shots.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
The cheapest air curtain I can find is $235.
Fan over the door. Bureaucrat might shop for a "air curtain". I might be a redneck, but I think about how to hang up the fan I got...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #21

Several people in our party ordered steaks at a restaurant in the Caribbean. We were seated outdoors. When the food arrived, a swarm of flies descended on our table. The waitress just smiled, placed a cocktail napkin on each corner of the table and sprinkled a few drops of Tabasco sauce on each. Problem solved.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Ok guys! Why and how does this work? Or does it just give people the impression that you're trying???
I don't know how it works. But for years there was a hole in the wall Cafe in my town that had 2 clear plastic bags with water and one penny in each bag. They were hanging in the open door way (on top) from the kitchen to outside. They swore by it. There was still a fly or 2 in the restaurant but it would have been a lot worse without them.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a story about one of my fly challenges. Sena is my 21 year old monkey/daughter - the one that didn’t leave home after high school.

To say living that with Sena is a new adventure everyday is an understatement. We have been besieged by flies here. During daylight hours they are numerous and a constant annoyance.

It so happens that Sena likes to eat flies and can catch them right out of the air. There are more flies in the RV than she has the patience to catch, so I put out some fly paper to catch them. Of course, she is responsible for letting most of them inside the RV.

She likes the windows and screens open so that she can be inside or out. If I close the screen, she'll look at me as if she's saying, "but I want it open" and promptly slide the screen aside and go outside. Try as I have for years, I can not convince her to close them.

Today I was working on a project outside. Sena was coming out to inspect and then bounding back inside. At one point I heard an unfamiliar crashing sound and walked over to look inside. Sena was sitting on the counter delicately plucking a stuck but not yet dead fly off the sticky ribbon of flypaper that moments before had been hanging from the ceiling.

I ask, "what are you doing?" And she looks up quickly and returns to eating. Once that one was consumed she looks up again and chatters at me in a very non challant manner as if she's thanking me for the all you can eat fly buffet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote