Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2022, 01:51 PM   #1

Flies, Gnats, Field Mice and more

I searched for possible threads and didn't see anybody talking about this.
Recently we had a birds next up inside our engine compartment that I had to get out. We have squirrels that I don't think cause problems but we have little chipmunks that I heard can cause havoc on electrical wires?

Also have lots of Gnats and other outside small pests flying around the rig. I do have a trashcan bungie corded to the front wheel for high winds by the lake with a lid on it but could that be the only issue? Any ideas of doing more than just MOTH BALLS?

Thanks,

Marshall
WeRMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #2

Where are you camping? Perhaps move?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where are you camping? Perhaps move?
Sorry about that, we're camping outside friends house on their RV pad with full hookups until we purchase land and build. We could move but trying to see if there is another solution to pest control around rigs, maybe spraying the rig and outside to a perimeter around the rig? Not sure if spray like that should be on paint jobs on rigs
Old 05-31-2022, 02:21 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've had good success using a product like Cutter backyard bug control. Hooks up to the hose and then you spray. Doesn't leave much of an insect spray smell and lasts quite awhile. Worst case, we sprayed twice in a couple of days and it took care of all the little pests. There are other products out there that do the same. I wouldn't spray your rig or anything else with it but the ground and plants around you.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #5

Turn on lights in your storage areas and at night look under your RV to see if any light is shining through. Get some foam and spray it in all openings. Your electric hose area & water/sewage bay area make a very good entry point for the critters no matter how small. For your engine compartment empty a box of mothballs into a mesh bag and hang it. Leave your hood up and put a utility light or holiday lights in it.

Gnats/fruit flies: set out a small bowl of cider vinegar; cover with foil & poke a tiny hole in it. They'll go in and not come out.

Flies: Flypaper or yard spray

Move the trash can far away from your RV. Bungee it to a tree. Walking is good for you!

Good luck! It's not easy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
About 10 years ago we camped in SMNP in October it snowed one night.

When heading home we had all type of noise when the dash fan was on. I figured the fan bit the dust and shut it off. When I got home I removed the fan and there on the hamster fan wheel was a dead field mouse. No joke the poor little thing tried to keep up with the circulation fan for a little while, but after a mile or so lost the challenge.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Where I live field mice can have a field day in your cars and coaches. Best success I’ve had is with using a rope light or other perimeter lights under the coach. It doesn’t hurt to have an outdoor cat either.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:26 AM   #8

As for engine nest builders, if you are in a fixed place, a regular inspection and eviction is your best bet. Don't let them build a nest. Set bait stations under the rig and keep them loaded. As for the rig #1 step is seal it up and monitor with traps or sticky boards inside. While they may look cute, chipmunks and squirrels are rodents - rats with fluffy tails. Rat sized snap traps in your engine compartment may help with squirrels.

It certainly won't hurt to do things like leave the hood open and try some lights. The problem with simple deterrents is animals are smarter than people give them credit for. They constantly evaluate their environment for hazards and it doesn't take them long before they figure out something doesn't pose any danger. The deterrent becomes background. Mice and rats invade all kinds of well lit, noisy and smelly facilities. Bait and traps are the industry standard. Whatever you chose to do, it's important to monitor. Don't assume what you do works, or will continue to work. The enemy never sleeps. Check regularly.

Gnats and flying insects are very difficult to do anything about. Inside is one thing, outside is another, it all depends on the environment. You might be able to spray or fog locally but that won't stop others from flying into your area. You can try traps and fly paper traps but it's a crap shoot. Be aware fly traps have an attractant that smells like rotten meat so if you hang a couple in your site, you may get a snoot full if the breeze shifts. Things like apple cider vinegar traps can work for some species, but may not reduce the population enough to make a difference outdoors, but they are cheap and simple to make and are worth a try. Don't forget to add a drop of dish detergent to the liquid to break surface tension, and remember, you are setting out an attractant so don't place it too close to where you are sitting.

Keep an eye on those chipmunks and squirrels, they can cause the same kind of damage as mice - worse in the case of squirrels.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #9

Bugs :
Othro Home Defense
Spectricide Bug Stop
Spray tires, under carriagem inside & out 2X per year & after heavy rain (outside)

Ants:
AMDRO Ant Block
Only kills ants and only uses a few granuales at a time. A pet would have to eat it by the pound to be harmful to them.I pour this in a bottle small enough to fit in my pocket and carry it with me when walking my dog. I see an ant bed, I sprinkle a few grains on the ant nest or in an active ant track (some of our ants will clear a track for them to travel in) and it takes out the whole nest, usually overnight, sometimes I have to sprinkle a second time.

Mice:
Bucket Mouse Traps | Five Gallon Ideas
For rats: use a trash can

You can't stop a house wren from making a nest. If birds target you for nest building, then you just have to keep checking daily (or 2X daily) and tearing down the nest-in-progress.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #10

Thank you

Thank you to all who have replied, all of them are great advice, forwarding your replies to my wife so we can take action and prevent any damage and critters inside the rig.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated!

~ Marshall
Old 06-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #11

peppermint oil works well with mice, but since you're living in it, it might be too strong for you. Depends on how much of it you use, if you go heavy you probably won't like it either.
I use a pipette and put a few drops in areas where I believe mice might attempt to enter. Camper smells good when you walk past it.

Boric acid (aka borax) and sugar will take care of any ants.

Or the amdro as suggested, I like the granulated bait myself.

Gnats - probably need to dose your drains with some bleach.
Flies will not land on a surface that has been wiped down with pine sol.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice