Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Flood Damage

Flash flood damage to our Newmar Dutch Star June 23 2017. Happened in Grayson, Kentucky which is 120 miles from home.
We were in four and half foot of water so all bays were under water. One side of rv sunk in mud.... so the slide on that side, was opend about 2 inches by the water current and the carpet and bottom of the wall along that slide was soaked. There is water in the transmission and all electrical components were under water.
We are with Good Sam Club's National General Insurance and they have decided they want to repair it. We said OK but we want Spartan to repair the chasis and Newmar to repair the coach. Spartan was willing to tow the rv to their place within the week. Insurance company however said they wanted Camping World to do the repairs. Our rv sat for fifty days in an open field of the towing business that had towed our rv out of the flooded fairgrounds where we were camped. It was finally towed to Camping World in Richmand, Indiana. It has been there for over three weeks and nothing done to it yet.
This seems like a unacceptable long time to us (74 days). Insurance company doesn't call us back and now Camping World is not returning our calls.
We are so frustrated and starting to wonder if we will ever get our rv back and in what condition.
An interesting fact we learned while searching the internet for information on our insurance company and Camping World, is.... that they are both owned by the same company, now how is this right?
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a claim like this or if anyone has any advice on how we can make sure we are being treated fairly.
RanKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would contact the state insurance commission and find out what your rights are. In most states you have the right to have insurance repairs done at a company of your choice. I would not let Camping World do the work they suck. They will do the least amount that needs to be done. If I were you I would demand to have it totaled. It will never be the same. Water damage is like cancer it will slowly eat at you coach. Not to mention the mold that has started to form. Get yourself an attorney who specializes in damage claims and hold fast with the insurance company.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Get a lawyer. You are going to need a good one. Sorry.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

I wouldn't be satisfied until the coach was totaled. From your description it already is.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know for a fact our local CW doesn't do anything with the chassis. They will work on the coach only. With it having sat so long now, other damage is certainly in progress. Mainly mold and mildew, and corrosion of any electrical parts and components. I also think you need to find a good lawyer ASAP and force their hand. Unless there is some crazy verbage otherwise in your policy, you should be able to have repairs completed anywhere you chose. Lawyer up!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Stop talking to the insurance company. Let them talk to your lawyer. I wont let Camping World change my oil....There are time constraints for the insurance co to settle your claim. Sounds like it should be totaled. Insurance in bed with the repair facility...no way!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #7

Flood Damage

As much water damage as it sounds like you have, then it sat in this heat, closed up for this long, there is no way to make that coach livable again . Regardless of what they do, it will never be right, never have any trade in/resale value. My goodness, I hope you can find a resolution to this. It sounds like the time for patience has passed. Please let us know how this goes for you.
Fulltime and loving it!
lsw9658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

The Camping World located in Richmond, In. is actually a good facility.

However, I would recommend that your attorney speak to Good Sam on your behalf as mentioned above.

Not to pile on but, your batteries are now toast. Black mold is a given. Corrosion of electrical connectors is starting. Any controllers that went under water and have circuit boards will also have condensation and be prone to failing. Along with the transmission, front hubs, rear diff is also going to have water. And by now the metal springs around the seals are corroded & swelling.
The waiting game was the sad part.
Had the fluids been changed, the unit plugged in, lived in with the doors opened and fans placed to dry out everything. I would not be concerned.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
lawyer up...............yes camping world and good sam are the same company............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sure sorry to hear about your situation! Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #11

You're going to get the double whammy. As stated above, Camping World and Good Sam are one in the same. So of course Good Sam is going to insist that the repairs be done by their company, so they can half-a** the repairs (if and when they ever get around to it). You need to be on the phone with the Insurance Commission and an attorney and get that RV declared a total loss. Then never do business with either company again.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #12

Sorry to pile on, believe you choose the wrong insurance company, just a bad life lesson.

Ony way that could have been saved, is if the coach was immediately put in a paint booth oven. Then cooked till humidity was 15%.

Lawer up, or and find a good adjuster on commision.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #13

can`t make this stuff up

If the insurance co. (Camping World) and Camping World are so confident the unit can be repaired to what you had before why don`t you ask about a trade in for a new unit after it`s fixed, now before it`s repaired. Watch how they run from that. You`ll never get what it was worth and that should tell you something.
Good luck fella hope it all works out for you.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #14

Check to see if your state allows for public adjusters. If they do see if they will work with something like this. They are a lot better than an attorney as insurance is ALL they do. Attorneys have to be versed in too many areas unless you can get one that does exclusive insurance work. In which case it is best to get one that used to work "for" the insurance companies and no longer does. It's all about what to say, how to say it but more so what not to say.

And as others have said check to see if your state laws mandate you can chose your own repair shop. Most do. They should not be able to force who does the repair.

Regards
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote