RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
IC2

Flooring material other then carpet

The low end carpeting that RV manufacturers use is strating to look pretty shabby after 5-1/2 summer seasons' use and probably over 450 nights.

I've searched the site as well as the internet, trying to find some sort of solid flooring. Most say not for temperature extremes which our 5er sees. Has anyone come up with a brand or type that wont buckle, shrink or expand excessively? Wood seems to be the worst material,

Or, I could just buy some good level carpet or vinyl floor covering and be done with my search - though that's not really how we want to go if there is a good alternat flooring.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #2

Go to your local flooring store and see what they have. If you are looking for the "wood" look there is a material that lays down in strips but is a vinyl type material and is very durable. A friend put this down in his home and for 1/2 a year I thought it was wood but also notice the quietness when walking on the floor.
lrgomez1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced carpeting in both the Class C we had and the Class A we currently own. I went with a snap lock laminate flooring which floats, it requires you to leave a small gap around the perimeter for expansion that I covered with a small quarter round. In both cases it has held up well.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
Go to your local flooring store and see what they have. If you are looking for the "wood" look there is a material that lays down in strips but is a vinyl type material and is very durable. A friend put this down in his home and for 1/2 a year I thought it was wood but also notice the quietness when walking on the floor.
An RV has a different set of requirement - temperature extremes, humiduty and motion which a home will never see. I've already looked at several store brands that will not guarantee use in an RV.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I replaced carpeting in both the Class C we had and the Class A we currently own. I went with a snap lock laminate flooring which floats, it requires you to leave a small gap around the perimeter for expansion that I covered with a small quarter round. In both cases it has held up well.
Do you recall wher bought and brand?
Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #6

We went with Audacity laminate click flooring. https://audacityflooring.com/

A bit expensive, but looks and works great. Several of the custom builders use this product.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #7

I replaced the carpet in my MH in 2008 with Pergo snap-together planks. Left the 1/4" gap all around and have not had a single problem with buckling or separating. In that time the temps here in Pa have been well below freezing to over 100 degrees in the MH. Highly recommend!
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I put Cherry solid wood in previous coach. Instillation was tough because my wife wanted it diagional. It still looked good when we sold coach. We put tile in current coach. It looks great and is easy to clean. I put tile in another coach for a friend.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #9

I have put Vinyl plank in both of our MH's. I have been in Wis. in sub 0 and in Fl. at 100. Let it float and leave space at edges. Most people thought it was wood and a damp mop and it clean. It is a PITA to put in MH because so much cutting and fitting. 37 ft. took two full days. The one I put down had a rubber pad attached to the back so it is quite. We would not go any other way. JMO
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #10

About 6 years ago, I replaced the carpet in our fifth wheel with Pergo laminate flooring from Home Depot. It has held up good as a full time camper. My experience was to not use any glue and no gaps. I even wedged the panels tight to the walls and only used 1/4 round to cover bad cuts. The theory is that the floor space is so small that it won't expand/shrink like in a large room. Also, the RV will itself expand/shrink to temperature swings along with the floor, whereas a house won't adjust while the floor will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	282661  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
We are on our 4th year with engineered hardwood flooring, glued down with urethane adhesive.
Coach originally had ceramic tile from the factory with carpet. At some point a PO removed the tile and put in vinyl tile.
This is what it looked like prior to switching to full hardwood through out.

Name:	3JDJg7C-1%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	282663
And what it looks like now. It has held up well. If water were a concern for me I would be much more worried about other items. Scratches pop up occasionally but a quick touch up with a stain pen and they are gone.

Name:	v3zBfKq-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	282664

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
IC2

You folks are convincing me that some sort of plank flooring, probably a composite can be used. Our weather extremes are -10F to 100F with humidity from teens to a shower in place.

I looked at the Audacity web site but the only dealers nearby only handle the sheet flooring. I did find that it is an Armstong Flooring product but not widely sold in the US. Or at least the Northeast

When we are comfotable wandering the local stores, we will look at the Pergo. With a 5th wheel, it needs to be more flexible so would be hesitant to glue it down.

Good ideas folks, thanks

Tags
carpet, floor, flooring