Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flooring recommendation?

Some of you may have seen my post "A Casualty of the Polar Vortex". http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/a-cas...ex-431730.html

I am researching materials and methods to replace the floor. The only requirements I have are that it be able to handle extreme temperature swings, from 100ºF to -30ºF. Weight is an issue also, as we have a Class C which inherently has CCC issues.
Some have recommended Allure, but the manufacturer clearly states it not be used in an uncontrolled temperature environment. I'd like to use Pergo, but am concerned about moisture and product moisture absorption.
What have you used IN AN EXTREME TEMPERATURE ENVIRONMENT? As much as I dislike the situation, this motorhome is stored outdoors in northern Illinois and during the winter it can get extremely cold for extended periods.
No offense but if you installed something in your RV but it never sees extreme temps, that information will not be helpful.
Thanks for any real world advice you can offer!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

I installed vinyl plank in our MH. Our temp extremes are not as bad as yours but it has frozen and gets well over 100 in summer in north fl. No issues and with the rubber backing is quiet. would do it again but is a lot of work. Putting flooring in a MH is not like putting it is a house where you can lay a lot of square foot without cutting. Lots of cutting and fitting in a small space.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

I installed a vinyl product called "lifeproof" from Home Depot. A floating click together flooring. About 1/4 inch in thickness. Has a cushion backing. Since it is NOT glued down it combats issues with expansion and contraction. As mentioned above lots of cutting to get around objects . Colors are all wood grain . I'm loving ours.
Thinking about the minus temperatures, think about all the other PLASTIC items you have in your RV, how do they handle those minus temperatures.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I do not live in the extreme temps you do but IMHO a snap/click together type floating floor might be the best option. It does float so it should expand/contract together. The biggest issue will be thresholds between two rooms, might be wise to add an expansion type joint here.

I put a floating floor in my current coach and the Class C I owned before this one.

I want to make sure the floor did not shift so what I did put down about 1/2 the floor and then in the center of the room I used a liberal portion of Gorilla type glue and then continued to lay the floor across it. I then weighted the area down with a heavy tool box until it dried. I figured this would keep the floor centered and prevent it from shifting too much.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar problem in my coach last year, the floor tore from the bathroom corner to the sink during a cold snap. (Cold by Vermont standards anyway)

After speaking with Winnie this spring, I went with a heavy duty vinyl tile I picked up from Lowe’s. They were applied in Aug during a pretty warm spell, and have survived our winter with no peeling. Happy with the results.

(Apologies, whenever I post from my iPad it always rotates the pic!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C08F248-FEF5-4B1C-9AB4-F12C8CE00CC4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	235763  
Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

We used Pergo on our Summer Lake house in Northern Michigan. We do not heat this home in winter and we are located near Pellston, MI whose nickname is "Ice Box of the Nation". Have no clue how cold this house gets in winter.

The Pergo was installed in 1999 and has been problem free with the exception of a loose nail or two on some of the trim pieces.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

We used the Allure planking in our fifth wheel, but since we live in it full time, it does not get exposed to extreme temperatures.
My theory/opinion is that if you use a floating floor that the square footage is so small there should not be much expansion or contraction happening. The floating floor would not use any glue that would restrict the floor movement which may cause cracking issues. The other contributing factor is that the RV will also expand and contract with the same temp swings to work with the flooring movement, unlike a solid S&B house that would not flex.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

I doubt that any residential floor manufacturer is going to warranty their product in an RV environment. There are just too many variables.

I second the recommendation for vinyl (actually "luxury vinyl") planking. You'll need to make sure you have adequate expansion space around the perimeter. I'd go with that specified by the manufacturer. Although they're wider than required by the overall size of your flooring, your temperature swings will be more than that encountered in a residential installation.

You don't want to use laminate like Pergo since, even the newer, so-called waterproof laminates are only waterproof for about 24 hours which isn't long enough in an RV with an unattended leak.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

I used a product called Coretex Lvp, this would be the 3rd winter, 1st two no problems, 26 below FAIL, now they said it would survives normal winter but that's not what we had in. Nw indiana. I glued it down worried that the slide might grasp it and shift, in hind sight I don't think glueing in these conditions is suitable, gluing was recommended but not necessarily from the manufacture. I now have one split seam. And will see what the summer brings. The wife and I loved the floor durable but not to hard, the cork back gives a nice cusion, not like are hard laminate at home. Don't know if VonTobels is in Illinois, but that's were we got it at
Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our ORV fifth wheel has sheet vinyl flooring installed over plywood.

Trouble free. They build their rigs for extreme temps and use.

The stuff has a nice wood grain pattern and color. Easy to care for. I increased the shine with a coating of Rejuvenate. Looks great!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

You might want to investigate commercial sheet products.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
You don't want to use laminate like Pergo since, even the newer, so-called waterproof laminates are only waterproof for about 24 hours which isn't long enough in an RV with an unattended leak.
If you have an unattended water leak for 24 hours, the flooring will probably be the least of your worries.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
If you have an unattended water leak for 24 hours, the flooring will probably be the least of your worries.
X2! Water + OSB = mush
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. It appears there is no product that will hold up to those temperature swings, other than carpet. However, the LVP floating floor seems to be the best alternative option. I am looking at various brands and will probably go with a click/lock type floor and hope for the best.
Thanks again!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring