Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 10:56 PM   #1

Florida Domicile - Impossible to Get DMV Appointment

Has anyone figured out a county where getting a DMV appointment is actually possible with, well, any mail service in the state? It looks like every appointment everywhere is full. Any ideas?
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 12:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don’t know how it works in Fl but I do know it’s not as bad as Ca and here you can just walk in to a DMV without an apt and get your business done. Best in a small town though. In Ca if you live in a big city, you are better off driving 45 min to some smaller municipality where friendly people are waiting to help. Beats waiting in line for several hours to be told you have the wrong form or whatever. Good luck....Covid is the new great excuse for not meeting basic obligations...
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

We changed our state of domicile from Alaska to Florida this past August. We use St. Brendan's Isle in Clay County Florida for our mail service. That is our mailing address and we are technically Clay County, FL residents. If you set up your mail service with SBI and become a Clay County resident you do not need an appointment with the DMV in Green Cove Springs. We had all our paperwork with us (make sure you have clear titles on your vehicles/rv or lien release paperwork prior to going to DMV) and walked out with new DL's and vehicle plates. New Florida titles were mailed to us a couple weeks later.
blueglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
We changed our state of domicile from Alaska to Florida this past August. We use St. Brendan's Isle in Clay County Florida for our mail service. That is our mailing address and we are technically Clay County, FL residents. If you set up your mail service with SBI and become a Clay County resident you do not need an appointment with the DMV in Green Cove Springs. We had all our paperwork with us (make sure you have clear titles on your vehicles/rv or lien release paperwork prior to going to DMV) and walked out with new DL's and vehicle plates. New Florida titles were mailed to us a couple weeks later.
Thanks. I was going to pull the trigger on their service but you need to own an RV first. My state has high sales taxes and stupidly high poorly calculated registration fees.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've always found the Marion County offices to be very accommodating. It's run by the Marion Tax Collector's office and they are big on friendly and helpful customer service. However, if you need a road test appointment, those are limited to county residents at this time (Covid restriction). Most things can be done online but walk-ins are welcome at the offices.

https://www.mariontax.com/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

In Michigan it's appointment only and you can't get one so you just drive. Police aren't writing tickets because the state will get sued.
Just received my plate reup in the mail and what a mess all new forms. Easy but more paper.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaclassc View Post
Thanks. I was going to pull the trigger on their service but you need to own an RV first. My state has high sales taxes and stupidly high poorly calculated registration fees.
Do you not own a vehicle? If you have a SBI residency, get a FL driver's license. Do you intend to get a Florida DL, register your vehicles here and still reside in your present state? Fl sales tax is not all that low. The main draw, I believe is no state income tax. I don't see why you cannot walk into a Fl DMV, SBI residency in hand, current driver's license in hand and walk out with a FL driver's license.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We live in Central Florida. Orange County is really bad for DMV wait times. We live in Seminole County and have always received A+ service in the DMV/Tax Collector's office. You wouldn't believe how friendly and helpful they are! You wouldn't know that you were in a government facility. Look around...many places in Florida are great.

BTW - never used an appointment, but then again, never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes either.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Do you not own a vehicle? If you have a SBI residency, get a FL driver's license. Do you intend to get a Florida DL, register your vehicles here and still reside in your present state? Fl sales tax is not all that low. The main draw, I believe is no state income tax. I don't see why you cannot walk into a Fl DMV, SBI residency in hand, current driver's license in hand and walk out with a FL driver's license.
I live in a no income tax state with higher sales tax already and stupidly high (and inaccurate in big government's favor).

I intend to get a license and change my domescile and get an RV.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We also used St .Brendan's Isle for our mail servicre as well as DL, and voter reg.

We just walked into DMV there with no appointment and walked out 30 min later wiht our new FL diver's lic., walked accross the street and got our voter registration done.

Very easy and we have use them now for 4 years withno problems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We also used St .Brendan's Isle for our mail servicre as well as DL, and voter reg.

We just walked into DMV there with no appointment and walked out 30 min later wiht our new FL diver's lic., walked accross the street and got our voter registration done.

Very easy and we have use them now for 4 years withno problems.
Those were pre-COVID times.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaclassc View Post
Those were pre-COVID times.
As I stated in my earlier post if you use SBI it makes you a Clay County resident and no appointments are necessary for county residents. We did this just 2 months ago. However, if you don't have an RV and aren't going full time in one I'm not sure the point of your original intent to change your state of domicile and utilizing a mail forwarding service. I'm missing something?!?!
Old 10-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #13

I've read that normally Clay County uses the license tag numbers for SBI customers, as in 123456, Green Cove Springs, Fl, 32043, rather than the SBI address. If you don't have a registered vehicle there's nothing to provide a "residential" address. That is, you register your vehicle using the SBI address, then that registration provides your d/l address. Things may of course be different now.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I've read that normally Clay County uses the license tag numbers for SBI customers, as in 123456, Green Cove Springs, Fl, 32043, rather than the SBI address. If you don't have a registered vehicle there's nothing to provide a "residential" address. That is, you register your vehicle using the SBI address, then that registration provides your d/l address. Things may of course be different now.
You are correct but they use the plate for your RV as your residential address not your tow vehicle or a toad.

Tags
florida