Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

Flying cockroaches in TT!

I've been down in Texas for two weeks now, near South Padre Island and just in the last 3-4 days I've killed a half dozen little flying cockroaches inside my brand new TT (and one king size roach in my shower)!!

Where would they be coming in from and what's the best/safest way to keep them out of my TT? The heat index has been above 105 for the last week, so all windows/door have been closed since I got here.

Getting woken in the middle of the night when one lands on me is quite the rude awakening, to say the least.

Anyone else experience something similar?

Any explanation and solution is greatly appreciated.
EdNope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #2

Sorta, I saw one roach while camped at a lake in southwest Arkansas. I think he climbed in from the slides seals.

I panicked, he panicked, I left and we never saw each other again.

At my S&B parking in Indiana spiders are the problem. I'm sure they are getting in past the slide seals. I hate spiders.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Sorta, I saw one roach while camped at a lake in southwest Arkansas. I think he climbed in from the slides seals.

I panicked, he panicked, I left and we never saw each other again.

At my S&B parking in Indiana spiders are the problem. I'm sure they are getting in past the slide seals. I hate spiders.

Thankfully, the spiders here are only building their webs on the outside of my TT, but I've squashed another half dozen little roaches overnight - including one more in my bed! I guess it's time to relocate.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We've save some links around that area for future ventures. Where you currently located?
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

I'm currently about 25 miles north of South Padre Island, staying at our family ranch.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Flying cockroaches in TT!

Since you are on your own property, get a hose mounted BugbGone and spray out around the rig in a big circle. Kills the little buggers in the area and keeps them away from the rig. Next get a Black Flag Fumigator and bomb the rig. Presto, bugs gone in a day. Won't be back for a while.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #7

I lived in New Orleans for 13 years. The flying roaches are "Palmetto bugs." They live in scrub and not your house.
Nothing chills me more than the buzz of a roach flying while I am tucked away in my bed. Bug spray will kill them if you spray the bug, not if they arrive after treatment.
To control Palmetto bugs our "Bug Man" would spray under our house once a year. To control them in your trailer a firm rolled up newspaper or a shoe in hand will do the job.
MollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Since you are on your own property, get a hose mounted BugbGone and spray out around the rig in a big circle. Kills the little buggers in the area and keeps them away from the rig. Next get a Black Flag Fumigator and bomb the rig. Presto, bugs gone in a day. Won't be back for a while.

Thanks for the tips - headed to Tractor Supply Co now.
Those little bugggers are in for a surprise!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyB View Post
I lived in New Orleans for 13 years. The flying roaches are "Palmetto bugs." They live in scrub and not your house.

Nothing chills me more than the buzz of a roach flying while I am tucked away in my bed. Bug spray will kill them if you spray the bug, not if they arrive after treatment.

To control Palmetto bugs our "Bug Man" would spray under our house once a year. To control them in your trailer a firm rolled up newspaper or a shoe in hand will do the job.

Nothing wakes me up faster than one of those little critters landing on my face while I'm trying to sleep!

I have insomnia anyway, but those little guys really keep me up at night.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdNope View Post
Thanks for the tips - headed to Tractor Supply Co now.
Those little bugggers are in for a surprise!

Roaches an endemic to where I live. I have to spray around the house and my shop at least two times s year. Keeps them out of the S&B.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We get Palmetto bugs in FL, but I never saw flying ones. They look like giant pet cockroaches. Not nearly as fast as the little ones. Hardly ever see them moving unless to try to smack them.

The technical common name of the Palmetto bug is, believe it or not, the American Cockroach, they grow to between 1" and 1.5" long.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, fancy name for a roach.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Roaches seem to fly once or twice a year, possibly a mating season thing. We get the huge "Palmetto bugs" in Florida, living in trees and shrubs everywhere. Roach panic is a northern thing, probably learned from your mother. Southerners give then names and assign rooms!

I gotta admit that the sound of a big roach flapping huge papery wings is startling, though. Our cat loves to chase them!

Spraying the area helps keep the population under control. In the house, use roach bait traps or, better yet, a roach control paste applied behind light switches and outlets and where water pipes run up through the floor. Those are the roach raceways.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Back in 'the day' our city had city heat. The steel mills pumped the heat produced from steel making through an elaborate duct system to the city businesses, great source of free heat. The downside was the fact that all the basements were connected so we also all shared 'critters'!! Though the days of the free heat are long gone the pipes all still exist and every once in a while one of the huge, blind. flying cockroaches would end up in our office basement. I knew it was there because one of my staff would head to the restroom and scream bloody murder...since the roaches were blind they followed the noise or vibrations.....as the gal ran away the roach followed her.......
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote