Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #15

"We" the consumer get grifted all the time. The grocery store is a prime example, ever buy the "special" which is placarded to catch your attention right on the shelf above or below the product only later to look at the receipt to find you got charged full boat? These are not mere mistakes, they are calculated attempts at fraud which succeed every single day.

I have had it happen at the fuel pump too, and it's all these ridiculous "Customer Rewards Cards" making us mice furtively run their maze to get the reduced price cheese that may or may not be at the end. And it makes for fat George Costanza wallets....."hmmmm, ok, let me find my card" as a dozen of them spill out.

We have a Gas station here that requires you to give them your bank account info to receive their "Rewards Card" ....nope, not now not ever. Funny thing, I used to buy gas there all the time before they started the rewards program simply because they had low prices. Now I shop someplace else, so at least for me their marketing is a 'fail' .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
"We" the consumer get grifted all the time. The grocery store is a prime example, ever buy the "special" which is placarded to catch your attention right on the shelf above or below the product only later to look at the receipt to find you got charged full boat? These are not mere mistakes, they are calculated attempts at fraud which succeed every single day.

I have had it happen at the fuel pump too, and it's all these ridiculous "Customer Rewards Cards" making us mice furtively run their maze to get the reduced price cheese that may or may not be at the end. And it makes for fat George Costanza wallets....."hmmmm, ok, let me find my card" as a dozen of them spill out.

We have a Gas station here that requires you to give them your bank account info to receive their "Rewards Card" ....nope, not now not ever. Funny thing, I used to buy gas there all the time before they started the rewards program simply because they had low prices. Now I shop someplace else, so at least for me their marketing is a 'fail' .

I hate to tell you but 99% of the time there's not someone out to get you. As a business owner I'm just trying to make a living. Sometimes you make mistakes and you're not deliberately out to get someone. If you have proof that businesses are colluding to do that, I'd like to see it. Trying to turn a profit and increase sales is not being out to get someone. Yes, labeling something with one price and charging another is wrong. No business would do that deliberately and expect to stay in business.

As for the rewards cards I completely agree. I don't know why these companies can't get together and offer a single card. Remember when every store had it's own charge card? Now it's just the majors. So yeah, why should we have to carry so many cards?

You should also know that if you use a debit card to buy something that you're basically giving your bank account info to the store. The reason some stores offer discounts with their card tied to your bank account is that they save 3-5% in transaction fees by doing a direct withdrawal, just like using your debit card.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Been on the first 1500 miles of what should be about 8000 this year--won't buy from FJ/Pilot unless there is no alternative. Nothing about flags/fraud, but just outlandish pricing--on this trip, have consistently found them to be at least 30cents higher than nearby options. Here in St. George, FJ is $3.49, filled at a Texaco for $3.09. Thats a lot of difference...
That is because they are trying to recoup the millions they have to pay back to the trucking industry and for the legal fee from defending the CEO.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I was referring to the flag incident. I didn't see any video. I will stop in and check things out for myself. I'm pretty touchy when it comes to our flag. Thanks for setting things right
The flag incident has a "Grain" of truth. but. Read on,
The story is phoney as a 4.00 dollar bill but the facts are

Flag poles wear out rust out and fall down.. A driver noticed the store not flying the flag (the grain of truth) Due to such an event while awaiting a new flag pole it seems.

Same thing happened at a Moose Lodge I belong to but for the Special Event we had a temporary flag pole.. Said pole is about 10 feet to my right as I type (It's mine) But the primary pole rusted out and was brought down safely before someone got hurt.

Flying J does fly the flag.. Unless there is a reason not to.

Something if you are touchy abou the flag

FLying at night Light it up
DO NOT WRAP YORUSELF IN THE FLAG, Do not use it for advertising, Do not wear it as clothing or as a decoration on yoru clothing (Exception for a patch on a military or Public Safety Uniform) and many other things that many people who like to show off how patratioc they are and how much they love the flag do not realize are very very very very disrespectful. LIke the performor who cut a hole in the middle and wore a flag as a poncho If the flag code was an enforcable law he'd be in jail .

TOTAL disrespect for the flag he claims to support.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
I hate to tell you but 99% of the time there's not someone out to get you. As a business owner I'm just trying to make a living. Sometimes you make mistakes and you're not deliberately out to get someone. If you have proof that businesses are colluding to do that, I'd like to see it. Trying to turn a profit and increase sales is not being out to get someone. Yes, labeling something with one price and charging another is wrong. No business would do that deliberately and expect to stay in business.

As for the rewards cards I completely agree. I don't know why these companies can't get together and offer a single card. Remember when every store had it's own charge card? Now it's just the majors. So yeah, why should we have to carry so many cards?

You should also know that if you use a debit card to buy something that you're basically giving your bank account info to the store. The reason some stores offer discounts with their card tied to your bank account is that they save 3-5% in transaction fees by doing a direct withdrawal, just like using your debit card.
I do not carry nor use a debit card....credit card only. Years ago we used to use debit cards and had our account was compromised three times in one year so we dropped the DC and since then have not had any security issues.

I disagree with you on the sale items because it happens with way too much frequency and I don't believe in coincidences. It never happens in reverse.... I can't name one time an item rang up at the till CHEAPER than advertised.

The point I am trying to make is it is rather easy for high volume business to steal just a little wee little bit at a time because it can go noticed by many.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I do not carry nor use a debit card....credit card only. Years ago we used to use debit cards and had our account was compromised three times in one year so we dropped the DC and since then have not had any security issues.

I disagree with you on the sale items because it happens with way too much frequency and I don't believe in coincidences. It never happens in reverse.... I can't name one time an item rang up at the till CHEAPER than advertised.

The point I am trying to make is it is rather easy for high volume business to steal just a little wee little bit at a time because it can go noticed by many.

Never? I know this is from 10 years ago but stuff like this happens all the time:

Gas Station Owner Makes Price Mistake, Regular Customers Exploit

Your basis is that businesses deliberately over charge customers but customers will deliberately take advantage of businesses as well. It's a two way street.

I think the reason it happens is that retail stores need to update so many places when they change the price of an item and with the number of changes and how frequently they change them, it makes sense that you're gonna have mistakes as opposed to some diabolical plan to get customers to pay more.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #21

MK, I was speaking of [my]personal experience. And btw, I have arrived home and found an item that was not on the receipt.....yep I always return and pay for it on my next trip to town so no taking of advantage here.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Please quit using the Flying J's so I don't have to wait in line when I get there,for my good Sam 8¢ discount and 3% visa card discount on top of that.

Did I say I also like the AARP 15% discount at their Denny's also.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #23

I used FlyingJ exclusively from their beginning until I retired in 2008, that is about the time that Pilot bought them out of Bankruptcy because they got caught up in the $200 a barrel of oil deal. Pilot did the fraud deal before they bought FlyingJ. Now I will continue to use them, If you are concerned about something that will just cause me less wait time in the full line.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #24

I have the worst luck at flying J.
Card readers not working , pumps not working , blocking parked cars who need to leave while I’m waiting to get propane .
The one in Midland, TX was the worst
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #25

we have had good luck with flying J, pilot, love's and any others.
we love truck stops
It would take ALOT for us not to use any of the above. So far there has not been that 'suepr big alot of issues' to make us stop using any of the truck stops.
Their convenience, availability of locations while traveling and one stop shop and more is just a wonderful perk to us when traveling. Truck stop fans here
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #26

Reason I don't use them any more is their diesel prices. Seems like all the truck stops have the highest diesel prices around. $.25 to $.45 cents higher then other stations around. When needing 100 gallons that makes a big difference in my budget.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I almost exclusively use the big truck stops. Pilot/Flying J, Loves, TA and Petro. If you shop them right you'll know which one to get the best price at. Maybe a little more expensive, however I've never been stuck behind someone who after fueling decides that now is a good time to go inside for 15 minutes without moving their car. I know the fuel is fresh and the large nozzles allow me to fuel in 1/4 of the time. I always find something I need inside the stores too. Just a good experience.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Stark raving mad?? No, but as a Marine, I don’t like to see skivies, hankies, do rags(tied around someone’s greasy hair) or any use for OUR Colors other than in a respectful, well earned manner.....WHOOYA......
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote