Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
MY-MyY- I just KNEW "walmart" was going to creep into this thread.
Safe Journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #114

I'm certainly happier to see them charge than to shut them down...

...obviously, I'd prefer it to be free, but for someone like me that isn't retired, convenience is king.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #115

Quote:
A short spot-check of the FJ RV dump price increase supporters posting in this thread, shows that MANY so willing and eager to pay MORE at FJ, are the SAME vocal ones in the Walmart threads proudly carefully taking advantage of that "Walmart courtesy" - and other similar "freebee RV camping" - to SAVE a few bucks...
Sort of a double standard in regards to actual, real-life "liberality" and generosity?
No double standard at all, just someone unfairly comparing apples and oranges. If Wal-Mart provided any kind of a service you might be able to compare it to the service that FJ offers but that's simply not the case. OK, maybe the RV creates some wear and tear on their parking lot but as of today Wal-Mart is not charging $5 to overnight since they are also not offering dump or fill or anything else.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #116

We Spend $1500+ a month for diesel fuel, and always made it a point to patronize Flying J's since they were RV friendly. I can and will take my business to TA, Wilco, or any number of other Truck Stops...where the fuel is cheaper. I always figured the cost of 200+ gallons a fill-up would offset the dumping "cost."

We race from Texas to New England, and South Florida to Canada stopping almost exclusively at Flying J's. The timing of a stop was for dumping on the way to/from a race. Now given the time for an "extra" stop, the price fuel will be factored in to where we stop (bypassing flying J's of course).

I believe the way for businesses to survive in this economy will through customer service a sunk cost...not raising prices.
WBGrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The FJ in Wytheville, VA has just about cured me on using FJ period! The last two time s I've used them was a nightmare. The pumps wouldn't take the cards (FJ card or CC) so someone had to go inside to the front desk. Then they only had 1 person working that so a very long line was backing up. The fuel pumps would cut off at $50.00 and you had to go back in side and of course get in line to get the pumps turned back on for another $50.00 of diesel. So after $200 worth of headaches I told them to stick it and I went down the road to the Citgo and finished filling up, fuel was cheaper there too!

Three couples were outside waiting to buy propane during the 74 minutes that I was there trying to fill up at the FJ, they had to just sit there twirling their thumbs while the desk clerk was trying to find someone to take care of them.

The good news was that their dump station didn't have a lock (or lid for that matter) so if anybody wanted to they could have dumped for free.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #118

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw a TV show recently where they were interviewing a man that had been in a submarine that was the target of depth charges. He spoke of the sheer terror of that experience. Nowhere to go, and knowing instantanious death would be the result if one of those charges hit the target.

He said he promised himself if he made it through that alive, he was never going to worry about the small stuff ever again for the rest of his life. Personally, for me this qualifies as small stuff. If a $5 charge for such a convienience is such a big deal to you, then perhaps you should sell the RV and stay home. Life is short folks.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #119

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
[QUOTE=cb5300;647256]The FJ in Wytheville, VA has just about cured me on using FJ period! The last two time s I've used them was a nightmare. The pumps wouldn't take the cards (FJ card or CC) so someone had to go inside to the front desk. Then they only had 1 person working that so a very long line was backing up. The fuel pumps would cut off at $50.00 and you had to go back in side and of course get in line to get the pumps turned back on for another $50.00 of diesel. So after $200 worth of headaches I told them to stick it and I went down the road to the Citgo and finished filling up, fuel was cheaper there too! ........ QUOTE]

Don't want to jump on any bandwagon or start a new subject, but the owner of Citgo is not too friendly either. Citgo doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
I would be happy if dump stations were re-opened at our rest stops and would be happy to pay for the convience. Flying J is a complete pit stop and if they need $5 to keep that service open for us then I will pay.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #121

I am copying a post from BigSkyBob
$3.00 to dump sounds even better:

To continue providing waste dump station services, Flying J is instituting a $10 fee to customers using this service. This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:
  • Maintenance - escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
  • Municipalities - rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
  • Regulatory - increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities
Frequent Fueler Card Member Benefits
As a Flying J Frequent Fueler member, a $7.00 dump station coupon will be added to your card based on fuel purchases. You must present your card to the cashier at the point of purchase to receive the discount.
Exclusive Flying J Loyalty Online Offer
Sign up for Loyalty Online and you will receive 1 FREE waste dump (a $10 value) on your next visit.*

If you are already a Flying J Loyalty Online member, a complimentary coupon for 1 FREE waste dump (a $10 value) has been added to your loyalty card to use on your next visit to Flying J.

Flying J appreciates your business and looks forward to continuing to offer the best services and facilities in the industry.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #122

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See this thread.. The lead post says it quite well... We can still dump at the J, once a day
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/memo-from-flying-j-69153.html

NO CHARGE
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
See this thread.. The lead post says it quite well... We can still dump at the J, once a day
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/memo-from-flying-j-69153.html

NO CHARGE
Link seems to be broken
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I am copying a post from BigSkyBob
$3.00 to dump sounds even better:

To continue providing waste dump station services, Flying J is instituting a $10 fee to customers using this service. This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:
  • Maintenance - escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
  • Municipalities - rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
  • Regulatory - increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities
Frequent Fueler Card Member Benefits
As a Flying J Frequent Fueler member, a $7.00 dump station coupon will be added to your card based on fuel purchases. You must present your card to the cashier at the point of purchase to receive the discount.
Exclusive Flying J Loyalty Online Offer
Sign up for Loyalty Online and you will receive 1 FREE waste dump (a $10 value) on your next visit.*

If you are already a Flying J Loyalty Online member, a complimentary coupon for 1 FREE waste dump (a $10 value) has been added to your loyalty card to use on your next visit to Flying J.

Flying J appreciates your business and looks forward to continuing to offer the best services and facilities in the industry.
Looks to me like those are one-time, one shot PR courtesy offers, and perhaps made specifically to an INDIVIDUAL (BigSkyBob) , who had sent a letter of inquiry/protest at the new charges - NOT an across-the-board, unlimited offer to ALL FJ RV customers...

"$3 to dump" from now on for all "frequent fueler" customers (whatever that involves!) - I seriously doubt it...

A working pointer to an actual FJ source would be helpful...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Looks to me like those are one-time, one shot PR courtesy offers, and perhaps made specifically to an INDIVIDUAL (BigSkyBob) , who had sent a letter of inquiry/protest at the new charges - NOT an across-the-board, unlimited offer to ALL FJ RV customers...

"$3 to dump" from now on for all "frequent fueler" customers (whatever that involves!) - I seriously doubt it...

A working pointer to an actual FJ source would be helpful...
Interesting. I didn't see it that way at all. I signed up online and I was given my free coupon which is good for the next 3 months and (while it doesn't say how much) it appears I will have additional coupons added if I fuel there. Since I usually take between 100 and 150 each time I fuel and I fuel 1-3 times per month I suspect that I will have no problem getting coupons.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #126

BILL - where did you "sign up online"?

If true, could be a good deal for the FJ faithful...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote