Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The difference between FJ and PP s usually cents per gallon. The ease of getting in and out of a PP makes it worth the extra cost to me.
HMMmmm - diesel discount for us, as posted further above, runs nearly 50 cents a gallon, compared to the street price posted by the same Shell station that also manages the PP pumps across the street - gas discount is about 25 cents per gallon - considerably more than "a few cents", especially in 50-80 gallon batches!

Perhaps the discount is different due to station locations - ours WILL vary somewhat from one PP station to another, as we see on our PP fuel bills.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #30
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The pump start feature is for the truck lanes. The RV and auto lanes already start the pump with a CC payment method. Until 500 gallons are pumped, one will need to go into the store to get the truck pump turned on.

Unlike many who have posted, I will get through the 500 gallons all to quickly.
Thanks, that answered my main question. I have a gasser, so I use the RV lanes.

All summer, while they were getting their pumps reprogrammed, I had to send DW inside to start the pumps and then wait inside for me to get done pumping to pay. Last time I stopped with the RV, my credit card worked to start the pumps, but I was afraid they were going to go backwards and make us go inside again. Pumps still shut off at $75, but at least I won't have to go inside.

If I had to go inside to start the pumps indefinitely, I wold either use the auto lanes (the RV and toad usually fit) or go elsewhere.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #31
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Speaking of Flying J's,,,I am also disgusted with the stations, I recently drove to Florida and back in early December and found that after exiting I-95 for fuel at least half the stations that were marked FlyingJ/Pilot were not rv friendly I drove right back onto the interstate I preferred not to fuel up at the truck pumps I found other diesel stations along the route. When I got home I called the stations and the company to ask about the changes in the station layouts the answer I got was " well,,,,I don't know whats going on".
Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #32
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Speaking of Flying J's,,,I am also disgusted with the stations, I recently drove to Florida and back in early December and found that after exiting I-95 for fuel at least half the stations that were marked FlyingJ/Pilot were not rv friendly.
What do you mean by "not rv friendly"? I have not noticed any change in layout for the RV lanes or spaces to park/overnight at the Flying J stations. Pilot never was as good as Flying J for RV's though.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Having read most of the posts. I come up with this thought;;If I charge $3.00 Per minute. IF that is my rate; . I am not begging you to come to my shop, I say GO alswere, May be that is the thinking Of Flying J , or what ever it is. Personaly I do not have the time to let those little things Bother Me;;
Old 12-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somehow I don't have the feeling that FJ, Petro, or any other business that tries something to attract customers even if it does not work to everyone's satisfaction is trying to tell those very same customers to go elsewhere.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #35
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Speaking of Flying J's,,,I am also disgusted with the stations, I recently drove to Florida and back in early December and found that after exiting I-95 for fuel at least half the stations that were marked FlyingJ/Pilot were not rv friendly I drove right back onto the interstate I preferred not to fuel up at the truck pumps I found other diesel stations along the route. When I got home I called the stations and the company to ask about the changes in the station layouts the answer I got was " well,,,,I don't know whats going on".
Most of the old Flying J stations (they are still marked Flying J even after the merge with Pilot) have special RV lanes. The RV lanes may sometimes be overcrowded, and they may be a little tight for some of the largest diesel motorhomes towing something like an enclosed trailer, but you can't get much more RV friendly than having special lanes.

Pilot stations, to my knowledge, never had RV lanes. I haven't gone to many Pilot stations, so I don't know if I could fit our 37' motorhome (gas) through the auto lanes. Therefore, I can't comment on the RV friendliness of Pilot.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
II have been in Pilots and they were filthy so I stopped going. The FJs were usually pretty clean, even in the truck lanes where I go. Now that they have been bought, I find the dirty lanes have migrated from Pilot to FJ. Another reason to use Pacific Pride.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
II have been in Pilots and they were filthy so I stopped going. The FJs were usually pretty clean, even in the truck lanes where I go. Now that they have been bought, I find the dirty lanes have migrated from Pilot to FJ. Another reason to use Pacific Pride.
Exactly the point some of us made when the change of ownership was first announced - it would be foolish and contrary to usual real-world experience to expect such a merger/ownership change would UPGRADE the quality of service nationwide - it is far more usual for the quality level to DROP to that of the lowest participating owner, than the other way around...

Exceptions? SURE, in isolated locations - but on the broader, nationwide scale, and over several years time?

Dream on...
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
I am wondering the status of those Flying J stations that had RV specific lanes/pumps (that were closed after the merger), which now are under new management, if they are utilizing the RV specific lanes/pumps? Station that comes to mind off the top of my head is the use to be Flying J in Corning CA. Anyone been to one of these stations that is under new management, are the RV lanes still being used?

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 12-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #39

I know that part of the merger required Pilot to sell off some of their stations and Love's bought a majority of them. Love's is suppose to be RV friendly, but have never used them so I don't know for sure. As to the change in layout of some of the former Flying J's, we saw some where the pumps and lanes had been rotated 90 degrees making it very difficult if not impossible to get to with a big rig.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #40

I was on a trip to Va Beach last weekend and tried at two different FJ/Pilot stations to use the RV Real Value Member card. In the past you were supposed to insert the RV card in the slot first. AT one station it responded with "See Cashier". I abandon that idea and plugged in a credit card. It then asked for my RV card so I plugged it in. Then it asked for a Zip code so I keyed it in and did not notice the keypad had misfired so it came back with "See Cashier". My DW took the card inside and asked about the RV card. They told her those were no good anymore but did not explain we could exchange it for the RV Frequent Fueler card. The cashier also told her they were only giving discounts on diesel for RVs anyway. They do have problems with training and sharing information.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #41
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolsom View Post
...My DW took the card inside and asked about the RV card. They told her those were no good anymore but did not explain we could exchange it for the RV Frequent Fueler card...
Our RV card did not work all summer at FJ, but it is working now. No need for a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolsom View Post
...The cashier also told her they were only giving discounts on diesel for RVs anyway...
Our RV card works for gasoline at the RV laves and at the auto lanes. I just used it yesterday for the toad at the FJ near Wytheville, VA. For gasoline, it gets us 2¢ off for up to 100 gallons per month.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you register your card you won't have the 100 gal limit per month you'll just have to buy a minimum of 25 gal to get the huge discount.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Closed Thread