Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
We just got back from a trip through AZ and NM. We left via I-10 and returned via I-40. Throughout the entire trip, all of the Flying J's, Pilots, T/A's and some other truck stops were displaying their prices via the large digital signs. In EVERY instance, not just a few, but EVERY instance, the prices at these facilities were a minimum of .09 - .12 cents a gallon more than the local stations.

I just don't get the lure of these large stations. We used the Gas Buddy App set to diesel fuel and found fuel much cheaper at the next off ramp or a mile down the turnoff. In New Mexico, it was the Safeway stores that had huge islands and access that were the cheapest and offered .03 cents off if you had a Safeway or Vons card (phone number worked).

We use only the Pentagon Federal credit card (available to everyone) for our fuel ups. They give 5% off of fuel ALL the time with the only restriction being that you pay at the pump.

I just don't understand why so many are mesmerized by these truck stops that are sooooo much more expensive. I hear people say because they have large islands. I find that to be false at a lot of them. They put the pump so close to the store that you can't get out. As much as we love RVing and other RVers, the big truck stops seem to draw in the dumb ones. The ones who park in a fuel lane and go shopping while other RV's are lined up in the street waiting to get in.

We saved between .25 -.30 cents a gallon using our PenFed card and GAs Buddy APP and staying away from the truck stops.
That's kind of what I figured. We're headed to Phoenix in a few so we'll take the card along. Will probably use the AMEX card as much as possible but also have a couple MC and VISA too, just in case.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hardly ever use the big truck stops. It is sometimes a driving experience when using a local station but I too have found prices better there. To each their own.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
We just got back from a trip through AZ and NM. We left via I-10 and returned via I-40. Throughout the entire trip, all of the Flying J's, Pilots, T/A's and some other truck stops were displaying their prices via the large digital signs. In EVERY instance, not just a few, but EVERY instance, the prices at these facilities were a minimum of .09 - .12 cents a gallon more than the local stations.
That isn't the case in this area. 99% of the time, Flying J is a few cents lower than everyone else. When the prices do increase, FJ is usually the first to up their price. That makes sense, since they go through a lot more fuel than anyone else. Once the rest of the stations raise their prices, FJ ends up being lower priced than they are.

I used my RV Plus card this morning and it was nice to see the 8 cent discount!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Diplomat Don,

You are exactly right! I use Gas Buddy or Gas Prices-MSN and beat FJ everytime add the use of PenFed Card and I'm $40 a tank cheaper.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #33

After all the wait for the card, I found it was hard to use and had too low a credit limit without letting them draft your checking account. I told them to cancel them. What a lot of hype for nothing.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
I recently signed up with PenFed for the credit card and found they were very liberal with the credit limit. They can not draft from my checking or savings account. I have not yet had the opportunity to use the card so have to ask how was it hard to use?
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
For those of you that have received the RV Plus card and have setup an online account to activate your card, here is something I have learned about navigating their site.

In the email and letter I received it said I would be able to change my control number (PIN), among other things. However when logged into the default screen, RV Home, and selecting the Profile link, I didn't see any direct option to do that.

While on the Profile page I went to the User Landing Page box and changed the selection to View/Update Cards and clicked Update. I then logged out and logged back in, at which point I was on the View/Update Cards page. I was then able to change the control number and a couple of other options.

When I was done I reversed the process so that my subsequent logins would put me on the RV Home page. HTH

Thanks, BobGed!!!
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I recently signed up with PenFed for the credit card and found they were very liberal with the credit limit. They can not draft from my checking or savings account. I have not yet had the opportunity to use the card so have to ask how was it hard to use?
Safe Travels
Bob
Hard to use because of a separate pin number for each card. Now I have to keep that number with the card because my brain doesn't have enough room for any more pins or passwords. As I said, I just cancelled it.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
padre44....Are you talking about the Flying J or PenFed card. The PenFed card has no pin for fuel use and I haven't had any issues with limits. I only use the card for fuel and ran up a $1200.00 bill on this last trip. No problems.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
In reference to the Arizona truck stop fuel prices being higher vs local stations, there is an $0.08 tax difference in truck vs auto fuel price. The old Flying J would credit my RV fill up, the $0.08 difference, when I paid for the fuel. That perk was lost with the merge.