Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Flying J/Pilot gas card to pay at the pump

I tried searching threads on this, but could not find anything on this. The FlyingJ/Pilot card appears to only be available if you are a Good Sam member. If you let that membership expire can you still use the card going forward or do you need to renew your Good Sam membership?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #2

Have you asked this on the GS owned forum? I am sure that a moderator would be along shortly to get you to send them a PM so the question can die on the board.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
I tried searching threads on this, but could not find anything on this. The FlyingJ/Pilot card appears to only be available if you are a Good Sam member. If you let that membership expire can you still use the card going forward or do you need to renew your Good Sam membership?
I've got the RV Plus card for FJ/Pilot. I can't answer your question, but get 6 cents/gal off when used properly. Properly? Yes, you don't get the discount at the big rig pumps, only at the auto/RV diesel pumps. And if the card reader is broken at the auto/RV pump, you don't get the discount if you take the card to the register.
That said, I only use FJ/Pilot when convenient as they charge more than normal fuel stations.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #4

Flying J/Pilot gas card to pay at the pump

I also have the RV Plus card and get 7 cents a gallon off gasoline. We have a Flying J about 10 miles up I-95 at Exit 305 from Palm Coast, so anytime I pass by that way I stop in and fill up my 36 gallon tank. After reading several posts in threads here about Flying J prices being well above other stations I started comparing this particular Flying J’s to our local stations (Kangeroo, Shell, etc.) here in Palm Coast and I found the list prices on the pump to almost always be the same even before the 7 cents off at Flying J. From what other folks have said I guess this comparable pricing is not the same in other places.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
I have the RV Charge card and use it all the time when I am traveling. Reading the terms and conditions posted on the FlyingJ/Pilot website it doesn't say that have to be a member all it says you will be provided the discount negotiated with Good Sam, however when you go to apply online you need a Good Sam Membership number and all the program details say that upon receipt of the card you will be placed in the appropriate tier (member $.05, life member $.06, and elite member $.07 off/gallon) No where does it say you must maintain membership in GS. Obviously to give you the right discount they have to verify you membership and as they don't ask for an expiration date I don't think they check again. Rather than checking with GS I would check FlyingJ/Pilot it is their card. As far as prices go I also don't see the difference (before discount) between Flying J and the other local stations. You may find cheaper gas at another locations where FlyingJ/Pilot are not located. Even if the station next door was a few cents cheaper considering I usually put in about 60 gallons each stop the convenience of the RV Lanes are worth a couple of dollar more.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Well, Now I know why we never get the GS discount at FJ. We always use the truck island, or I have gone in to the desk to run the card. Have to try winding our way thru the auto RV lanes next time. Last time we bought diesel at FJ was when we were in Kamloops Canada. FJ was 20 cents higher than the next truck stop down the road. Nice stations, but the price out here in the west can be steep!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I've got the RV Plus card for FJ/Pilot. I can't answer your question, but get 6 cents/gal off when used properly. Properly? Yes, you don't get the discount at the big rig pumps, only at the auto/RV diesel pumps. And if the card reader is broken at the auto/RV pump, you don't get the discount if you take the card to the register.
That said, I only use FJ/Pilot when convenient as they charge more than normal fuel stations.
Not all the Pilot/FJ stations have RV pumps. And it certainly isn't shown on their road signs - you gotta go to the Pilot/FJ website and look up the station to see if they have them. And the ones that have RV pumps (that I have used) aren't always that easy to get in/out especially with a toad. I sure wish they gave the discount at the "big" pumps. It would make using them a lot easier for me.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 01-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Pilot/FJ credit card can be used at the pumps. I get 8 cents a gallon off at both the RV and truck lanes.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #9

Rv Card here. Always get a discount at the truck lanes.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I guess it's shame on me but I didn't know that my GS card gets me .05 discount at the pump on gasoline. I discovered that while attending the Tampa RV show last week.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
The Pilot/FJ credit card can be used at the pumps. I get 8 cents a gallon off at both the RV and truck lanes.
About a week ago I went through Eloy, AZ. FJ diesel was posted at 3.159. Ten miles down the road in Casa Grande I paid 2.439.

A whole 8 cents, what a discount! And only God knows if it's going to work at that station.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I get the discount at the truck pumps. Not sure why you aren’t . Other than that truck / commercial prices ....taxes ... are higher in Az than the “ car” pumps.
Yes I pay more than shopping around but I get cents off the “cash “price not credit. The convenience is worth it to me.
I’ve also found that cheap diesel out west normally means a high bio content ! I think dealers get a big tax credit for using it pilot/ fj uses bio also but only up to 20% which my kitty can drink.
I maintain my Gs membership so I can’t help with that
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I get the discount at the truck pumps. Not sure why you aren’t . Other than that truck / commercial prices ....taxes ... are higher in Az than the “ car” pumps.
Yes I pay more than shopping around but I get cents off the “cash “price not credit. The convenience is worth it to me.
I’ve also found that cheap diesel out west normally means a high bio content ! I think dealers get a big tax credit for using it pilot/ fj uses bio also but only up to 20% which my kitty can drink.
I maintain my Gs membership so I can’t help with that
What is the difference cash price vs credit? You are still using the card correct?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Flying J/Pilot gas card to pay at the pump

The pilot “credit card “ charges me and I pay monthly the entire balance . But I get the cash price less my discount.
If I went to joe blow station and used a credit card even with % kickback I’d still pay credit prices up front. The pilot fj card is a monthly debit card only good at their stations.
The difference at most stations I find credit to cash is 7-10 cents

Tags
gas