Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #15

OK, the pumps have the credit card slots? Also if I want a receipt I have to go inside?
Do you recommend getting the receipt?

Correct??
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #16

Having had a fiver for many years--55' total length--have not used FJ much since Pilot took them over. At 50-80 gallons, it is easy to find fuel at a greater discount than they 8c that the so generously provide. GasBuddy is great for that--also the newer navs have fuel prices nearby if you opt for the TrafficLink with Sirius.
Access--can be a problem at FJs as mentioned above--I had an idiot with a pickup that stopped in an RV lane and went shopping inside--had to get a clerk to locate him and get him to move, but that can happen anywhere. Getting into the RV lanes is usually easy, but the turn out is most always hampered by cars parked at the front and/or delivery trucks.
Truck lanes--dislike the fast fill nozzles, Fords seem to be prone to popback from the fast flow--but thats my problem. You can find diesel spills anywhere but truck lanes are so busy its really bad there.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

I use he rv plus card and always get the 8 cent discount at either the truck lanes or the big truck lanes. I have the amount I use deducted right from my checking account. In 8 years I have never had a problem it. If I get to my limit I just go on their site and pay it and I am good to for another round.
For myself when pumping 150 gallons the truck lanes suit me better. I find it hard at times to get out of the RV lanes. I am total of 57 feet. I find it does not matter where I pump that fuel is always spilled on the ground. I find that truckers are turning their trucks off.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
OK, the pumps have the credit card slots? Also if I want a receipt I have to go inside?

Correct??
No. You do not have to go inside to get a receipt. And yes, the big boy pumps have a credit card slot. I have the FJ/PP credit card and there is no shut off limit

I have been using FJ/PP since '99 and have never had a problem with either a company store or a franchise. Always the same discount. Always use the big boy side because I don't want to play bumper pool with all the little cars on the other side
Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
At 35' pulling a Toad I have never had a problem at the Flying J RV Islands I use regularly. I don't see a problem if I was 5' longer either.

I only go to the Truck pumps if I see a back up at the RV Islands and that isn't very often.

Flying J's I use most often at RV Island. KY I65 exit 2, GA. I75 exits 320--201--2 and Pilot IL I57 exit 283 has a RV Island.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #20

Flying J RV Fuel Pumps?

My 42 MH plus toad can pull into just about any fuel station.
I truly enjoy beating the P/FJ prices by $20 to $50 per 100 gallons every time! Thank you, GasBuddy!
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that.
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!

When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
Yes, there is a toad behind me. Yes, I can also maneuver to the inside pumps. Yes, the incredible wheel cut is what makes it all happen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5867.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	176698
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #21

Quote:

Correct??
Most that I've been to don't accept personal Visa or other cards. They only take certain "approved" corporate cards.
Go inside to the fuel desk. Tell them what pump you're on and how many dollars you plan to spend. I always go comfortably over what I think I need but the actual charge will only be what you pumped. Let them know that you want DEF if you plan to pump it. They'll also explain how to use the DEF pump so you don't have to go back inside. My fuel fill is just behind the front wheel well and the DEF is behind the rear wheel well so I have to pull forward a bit to pump the DEF. One of these days my wife may even learn to pull forward for me but I don't see that happening for quite awhile!
Yes. I always pull forward and ask for the receipt. I just write the trip miles on it and calculate the mileage and cost per mile when I stopped somewhere for the night.
Some say the truckers get annoyed at the RV drivers but they really only get annoyed at the ones, truckers included, that don't follow the accepted routine. Don't spend excess time in the store while in the truck fuel lanes! Pull out and park if you need to do any business inside. I've actually seen two drivers in a fist fight because the one in front was apparently taking too much time before pulling out of the way. Some can be pretty rude and will spend way too much time filling out their log books or other unnecessary things before pulling out of the way.
I've found that striking up a conversation with the adjacent lane, asking them about their driving conditions, is enjoyable. Many have said they wish they could travel like us when they retire.
If you're still unsure about the truck lanes, take a break and just watch them for awhile. Truckers like to talk so ask one of them to tell you how they do it. Just be prepared for a long conversation because they lead a lonely life on the road.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
I just found out that if you use the Truck Lanes you DO NOT GET ANY DISCOUNT on fuel prices. I was told that if you get a receipt and call ( what a joke ) you might be gives something back but I have never seen anything yet. But I must say it is a lot easier to get fuel in the truck lanes. Just watch where you step. Drivers spill a lot of fuel on the ground.
I use Pilot/Flying J all the time and I use the truck pumps. I also get the discounts.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #23

My decision tomorrow will most likely not be made until I am at the FJ. If the truck lanes look very empty I may use them. If they are very active and the RV lanes are open I will use them. If I use the truck lanes I will head further away from everyone else if possible. I would think the truckers would want to use the one's closer to the store.

What is the opinion of going in the store for the receipt? I usually check my checking account each day for any activity to look for mistakes.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #24

Quote:
My decision tomorrow will most likely not be made until I am at the FJ. If the truck lanes look very empty I may use them. If they are very active and the RV lanes are open I will use them. If I use the truck lanes I will head further away from everyone else if possible. I would think the truckers would want to use the one's closer to the store.

What is the opinion of going in the store for the receipt? I usually check my checking account each day for any activity to look for mistakes.
I go in to get the receipt. If there's any issue I want to deal with it right then.
I also use the receipt to calculate mileage and CPM. All I have to do is write the trip miles on it. All the info, date, time, address, gallons, and cost is on the receipt.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I go in to get the receipt. If there's any issue I want to deal with it right then.
I also use the receipt to calculate mileage and CPM. All I have to do is write the trip miles on it. All the info, date, time, address, gallons, and cost is on the receipt.
Many years ago a man refueled his MH near Indianapolis, did not get a receipt from the pump, so jumped back in and hit the road, only to be stopped by police a few miles away. They had been informed he drove off without paying. With no receipt, it took him a few days to get a copy of his CC bill to prove he paid. Had the same thing happen to me in Ray, ND. on US 2. YES! I had a receipt.The LEO apologized for stopping me, even though he was merely following orders.

Back to the question; I have a 40'MH, tow a 21' Silverado pickup. Never have a problem with PFJ RV pumps, or truck pumps at any truck stop. A buddy has a 45'Essex tows a Ford Explorer, we have refueled at the same time at many PFJ RV pumps without exiting issues.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #26

So far have only used RV lanes but plan to check lines and consider truck lanes in future.
Are folks saying no receipt dispensed in truck lanes even when using the Good Sams PFJ card to pay at the pump?
If so thats an extra unnecessary step that may make me lean towards RV lanes
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #27

With our DP we always use truck lanes. I know I can get in and out using them. Sometimes a truck may take a bit and we wait but not really in a big hurry often anymore and gives wife time to walk the dogs. Also we need DEF about every second fuel stop. (One note last trip a truck broke down at pump so I had to switch lanes. Had just enough room to shift a lane without backing up which would have required toad disconnect since it had not yet straightened up.)
Got the Flying J/Pilot card so try to use them mostly. When I can not it means going inside as others mentioned.

Tom
Old 09-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #28

I stay out of the RV and Car lanes. Not worth saving a little while risking big bucks in damage.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump