RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #29

I am 45' plus toad ... I use the truck pumps ... I pay cash (I know how much I need by the gauge, 3/4 full needs $100) Occasionally I'll run near 1/2 tank and need $200. I get a receipt. Occasionally I'll use a big gas station if it's obvious I can circle the building. I'm not interested in dinging the bus to save $.10/gal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Even with the discount Flying J / Pilot is way too expensive for diesel. And it is difficult trying to get into most fuel stations even without a TOAD. This had a significant impact on us moving to a 5th wheel and a P/U with aux fuel tank in the bed. Now I can go 600+ miles without fueling while towing a 38 footer.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never had a problem accessing the FJ RV Lanes. I've been to many FJ's from N. Mex to Florida and north through Wyoming and across through Ia, Mo, In, Il, Oh, Tn, Ky, and points beyond. Being I need 87 Octane gasoline, not diesel, I have no need to use the semi's fueling areas. I've always gotten my fuel discount and either go inside or do it all at the pump. The RV Lanes have always had a long pole windshield washer with clean water/soap solution. I can't vouch for diesel but gas prices are competitive if not lower where I have stopped and with the discount it's a real bargain. Every now and then I wait for another RV to pull out but I have not had the experience of being blocked in by others.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #32

Flying J RV Fuel Pumps?

A question.
How can a straight route through a truck or RV fueling lane be difficult to maneuver?

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A question.
How can a straight route through a truck or RV fueling lane be difficult to maneuver?
An answer: Not difficult at all.

Comment: Most RV lanes near me (Florida) do not have a straight path ... straight puts you in aisle #2 of the convenience store. That includes Flying J, Pilot, and Love's. It's worse at most "gas stations" .... they have the pumps perpendicular to the convenience store and parking in front of the store ... no lanes that are parallel to the store and many do not have exits at both ends of the station. Truck lanes are mostly straight.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A question.
It has been my experience Pilot/Flying J RV lanes are at the side of the station as you pull in - - which means you have to make a somewhat tight turn upon leaving - then you have the parked cars at the building that do not always park in a courteous way.

I have been to a Flying J that had a straight out exit - - it was great. But to get into the RV lanes you had to drive past the main station and make a fairly tight turn into the RV lanes....

Not really a problem - you just have to pay attention - or how I was taught to drive, "Defensively!"

Have a great weekend everyone!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
As Indy Glenn stated the RV lanes have all been on one side or the other and exiting requires a turn past the main entrance. Not a show stopper, just requires cautious driving like many state campgrounds and a lot of privates require.
The big truck lanes are typically easier but can take a different procedure to fill up. Also if you hit a busy one then there will be a lot of trucks to drive though. I have had to do that a couple times once by accident at night in the rain with poorly marked entrances, got lots of dirty looks from the truckers that time.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

Not really a problem - you just have to pay attention - or how I was taught to drive, "Defensively!"

Agreed. I had the Smith System Driving training.
It's why I can use regular fueling stations and save a lot of $
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6597.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	176808

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #37

Smith system...that doesn't come up often! I have been thru it and it is very useful. It would be very worthwhile for every driver of a large vehicle.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
Smith system...that doesn't come up often! I have been thru it and it is very useful. It would be very worthwhile for every driver of a large vehicle.
How does the Smith System differ from my training when I went through the 3 week school to get my Class A license?

I'm just at 65' towing the F-150 and can manage most, but not all regular stations. Some Murphy stations are really tight but if you can figure out what route the fuel trucks use they're doable. Sometimes you need to get out and walk the route to be sure since backing with the toad isn't easy or even recommended.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As commented, it depends. Some have the RV lane with the big truck pumps, others have RV lane separate or near the auto pumps.

I try to not use truck stops if possible. Elsewhere the price is cheaper and I can get my 5% discount via PENFED credit card if swiped at the pump. The high flow pump is not a big deal to me.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
I used the RV pumps at the FJ at Knoxville yesterday and it worked out great. This particular store had extra room at the front to turn to get out of the pumps.

I thought about using an Exxon further down the road which had the diesel cheaper. But by using google I could figure out which pump would be for diesel. I knew I had one shot to get to the correct pump.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost 6 years full timing and never had to wait for a car blocking us in the RV lane. Its cleaner there too. When we use the truck lanes we always get the discount at the pump.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you guys for this discussion. Having bought our first MH ('03 FW Pace Arrow 35G [for gasser I guess]), almost a year ago and having made several short/local shake-out cruises so far, we have wondered about benefits of FJ/Pilot - discount only.

We (as navigator, should read probably "I") never even considered what conditions might be encountered, such as lane configuration, 4-wheeler traffic, etc.

This discussion has been ever so helpful. Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump