Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #15

I just sent in the check cashing application and it was approved very quickly. Now I am heading out and need to know how to use it. Do I walk in with a blank check and get them to turn on the pump or will they do it by phone by the pump. They just told me how my check approval was listed, which is just my and my wifes name. They said I could write over up to $5. Does anyone here know how check writing works?

I also just got an account opened with Pacific Pride and have used it a couple of times which worked very easily. You just don't know what you paid until you see the invoice posted but it was very competetive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.:
I looked over FJ's new policy again re: getting the cash price for non-cash transactions in the truck lanes. It states:

"Our loyalty members may continue to receive the cash price at the commercial truck islands by paying with cash, a pre-approved check or one of Flying J's proprietary cards or Transportation Alliance Bank (TAB) Rewards Plus or RV Real Value Plus credit cards."

If you don't want to carry around one of their credit cards, you can apply here for pre-approved check writing privileges. I carry enough credit cards, so I think I'll submit the check writing app.

Craig

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #16

The cash price in the truck lanes isn't a big deal for me since I don't have a diesel and the most fuel I can ever buy at one time is 20 gallons. Plus I use my Amex card and get 3% cash back, which currently always works out to more back than paying cash.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The problem with Flying J, like some of the other gas companies is that each of the stations are not all the same. I've seen some that are very convenient as far as room an maneuvering are concerned. But I've seen some that the RV section was designed and built based on short rv's and not pulling toads. Most of these have very little, if any, turn around area. Cars park to close in front of you and you can't back up.

The biggest complaint I have with all the gas companies is they only allow you to pump so much then you have to re-insert your card to pump again, or worse, take your card inside so they can hold it. Many of them claim it's not them but your credit card company, which is not so, because I've had some that will pump $100, or $150, or even $200 or more without having to reset and start over. If it was the credit card company this could not take place.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #18

Actually not all credit cards have a limit at fuel islands, and it is the CC company, just some stations follow the rules others don't. My AMEX card has no limit on fuel island sales, where as my Visa does. I can go to the same station and my Visa will stop at $50, but my AMEX will just keep going til the tank is full.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Using the FJ card usually does not put a limit on my purchase. If it does, it's been around $400. Not a real inconvenience. I once filled up in the car lane by mistake and after it stopped the secod time at $75, the next fill I pressed the pay inside button and filled it up then just went inside.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Arizona has an added .08 cent per gallon tax on diesel for big trucks. If you use the big truck lanes or a fuel stop that doesn't have RV lanes you should ask for the tax to be removed. Some places will do this automatically others won't so always ask. Arizona is the only state that I know does this so save a few $$ and ask
Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #21

This is a great topic because my wife and I picked up a 40' diesel pusher about a month ago and had never owned a diesel vehicle, let a lone a big RV. We had to fly to Portland, OR to pick up and drive the coach home to Colorado, so upon our first fuel stop, we weren't sure which pumps to go to. We went to the truck pumps because it just seemed like a better fit, however, by the end of the trip we did both. I noticed at the truck pumps, they always asked if I was commercial or private and I think that had to do with tax surcharges for commercial operation. I also experienced the hassle described with the TA pumps not fitting in my fuel filler. As a newbie, it's good to have some validation on fueling experiences!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I just sent in an application for the J master card. I did get hit paying the higher price just last month when I filled at the trucker pumps and when DW paid inside they wouldnt give the cash price. First we had heard of their new rules. Oh Well, if you cant fight um join um. Sent for their card cause we sure enjoy filling up at the trucker pumps. Sooo much faster and usually no line to wait in. Its always my luck in the RV lanes to get behind someone who walks slowly into the store, slowly back to his rig, slowly fills up, then leaves his rig parked while he , you guessed it, walks slowly into the store, signs for his fuel, then decides he needs to shop and has forgotten he has the lane all blocked. Trucker pumps for me.... Don
Sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #23

I stick with the truck lanes. RV lanes are to slow, if near empty I can do all my windows, check air in tires, check water, oil and walk the dog before the tank is filled.
Have used TA a few times when no J is close and have not had a problem other than leaving cash or CC before I fuel. What is the ring that prevents using truck island?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76dc View Post
What is the ring that prevents using truck island?
Some nozzles have a ring around the tip of the nozzle, increasing the diameter so that the nozzle won't fit in some fuel tank fillers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #25

Its always my luck in the RV lanes to get behind someone who walks slowly into the store, slowly back to his rig, slowly fills up, then leaves his rig parked while he , you guessed it, walks slowly into the store, signs for his fuel, then decides he needs to shop and has forgotten he has the lane all blocked. Trucker pumps for me....

have you ever been behind someone at the RV pumps who decides to go in and have lunch when your behind them? I have; I finally went in the store to have them move, when I complaned to the store manager . he said there wasn't anything they could do. I sat there for 45 minets while this-----ate his lunch. I couldn't back up I was towing.I wished this man; many many many flat tires.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #26
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post

I finally went in the store to have them move, when I complaned to the store manager . he said there wasn't anything they could do.
Translation;

There wasn't anything he was going to do.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #27

Kind'a like the woman who was pulled into the fuel island while she filled her large class A with water. Jeeze, Lady - the water fill is even on the other side of your MH!! Sadly, becoming an RV'er doesn't automatically convey common sense.

On the fuel rings . . . our Vectra will accept the truck diesel nozzles, our View won't.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #28

My favorite TA gripe is at the Moriarty NM TA. We have a 40' MH and tow an H3, so we have to pick and choose our fill up points. Pulled into the TA pumps at the truck islands and noted an RV fill up island. I thought "way cool" and we pulled in. The fuel ended up being 20 cents higher and when we went to pull out trucks that had just filled up, move forward, blocking our exit. We waited and waited and waited before we got a window to get out. The folks inside were not nice and acted as if they were doing you a favor. A mile down the road, "Lisa's Truck Stop" was 40 cents cheaper and ultra friendly.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote