Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

I just have a quick qestion, last time I went through the Flying J I usually stop at on my way up north I noticed they have RV specific fuel lanes. But the question is do these lanes have both gas and diesel? I need gasoline for my truck, and a couple other stations I've stopped at only have diesel, but they seemed like they where more for big rigs than RV's anyway.

I was going to check it out on the way home, but the detour on I75 southbound took me beyond the exit the Flying J is on. I ended up stopping at a TA center, and I can tell you this TA was NOT RV friendly at all! The pumps where very close together and close to the building so it was difficult to manuver around them. They also don't have anywhere to park an RV after you fuel up. I know some people don't like Flying J for various reasons, but the one I stop at is still one of my favorit places to stop since even the regualar pumps have plenty of room to move an RV around them, they have a place to park, and good greasy pizza!

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every Flying J I have been to has 2 RV lanes with Gas and Diesel pumps on both sides.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Look close at the signs. Gas is in one lane. Diesel is in both most of the time.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, and the one's that I have been to have a dump station within the island as well. Very convenient if you need to pump, dump & go, without back-flushing.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Special thanks to Flying J for donating $25.00 restaurant cards and FREE truck washes for my WCMC Rally in Myrtle Beach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.:
Yep, and the one's that I have been to have a dump station within the island as well. Very convenient if you need to pump, dump & go, without back-flushing.

Craig

Really? How much does it cost to use the dump station?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Really? How much does it cost to use the dump station?
I believe, like the water, there is no charge. That doesn't hold true at the propane tank.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No charge to dump but some places lock the cap to control who uses them.

We usually can't make the turn out of the RV pumps when towing so we just use the truck lanes. They fill faster anyway and we park in the truck area since we are as long as most trucks. We use the trucker protocol for fueling and so far have not had and issues.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've actually been to a Flying J that had two designated rv lanes that had a propane pump machine and deisel pumps so you didn't have to jockey your long rv/toad around the building to get to either. I believe that was on the southern CA/AZ border, I can't remember anymore. Usually if I can't tell where the rv lanes are as I'm pulling off the road and into teh Flying J, I just head straight for the trucker's lane. There's no hassle accept you have to go into the store to turn on the pump and give them your credit card first.

Later,

AKBrick
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There's no hassle accept you have to go into the store to turn on the pump and give them your credit card first.
You don't have to do that if you have an FJ Rv card. Can run the card and your credit card at the pump and then fuel up. Then go inside at the end to collect your receipt.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RV Roamer:
You don't have to do that if you have an FJ Rv card. Can run the card and your credit card at the pump and then fuel up. Then go inside at the end to collect your receipt.
True but under FJ's new rules, you must now have a Flying J credit card in order to get the cash price in the truck lanes. You can use any credit card for the cash price at the RV island as long as you have the RV card.

I too use the truck lanes if the RV line is too long or the turn at the end is too sharp, so I guess I will have to buckle under their new rules and get one of their cards.

Craig

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I use J almost exclusively. I actually feel welcome there. I drive a 45' pulling an H2 and have never had a problem using the rv lanes. Hope I didn't just jinx my self.

I have to park in the truck area because of my length, but have never had a problem. I went into a T&A and found them very rv UNfriendly. Only one or two nozzles will fit. Most have a ring at the tip that won't allow it into the filler neck. You have no way of knowing what lanes these are in. They are not marked. Then I have to make a circle to go to another without the ring. Then after all that, I had to leave my driver's license with the cashier before she would turn on the pump! I put $100 in and went down the road to the next J I came to.

My 2 cents.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #13

Glad I'm not the only one that found a TA center RV unfriendly! And I just have a small travel trailer!

Thanks everyone for the info!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked over FJ's new policy again re: getting the cash price for non-cash transactions in the truck lanes. It states:

"Our loyalty members may continue to receive the cash price at the commercial truck islands by paying with cash, a pre-approved check or one of Flying J's proprietary cards or Transportation Alliance Bank (TAB) Rewards Plus or RV Real Value Plus credit cards."

If you don't want to carry around one of their credit cards, you can apply here for pre-approved check writing privileges. I carry enough credit cards, so I think I'll submit the check writing app.

Craig