Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not yet tried this and a little clumsy, but it should work.

I was told by a Flying-J employee you can purchase a "Flying-J Gift Card" in any amount at any time (at time of fuel purchase even) with YOUR Credit Card and then use the gift card to pay for fuel at ANY pump and you will get the Cash Price.

Benefits--
Get to use your rebate card
Get the Cash price
One less card to manage

We called the Flying-J home office and had a very positive discussion with a manager and told him this new policy, for RV'ers, was not a positive position for Flying-J. Either big rigs would tie up the RV and Car lanes or big rigs would go elsewhere to purchase fuel. He said many RV'er's are paying the credit price premium . Flying-J's position is that RV'ers who wish to pay cash price will get the Flying-J TAB credit card. He did say they will monitor the situation and react accordingly.

So I guess the message for us is "market forces will prevail".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not yet tried this and a little clumsy, but it should work.

I was told by a Flying-J employee you can purchase a "Flying-J Gift Card" in any amount at any time (at time of fuel purchase even) with YOUR Credit Card and then use the gift card to pay for fuel at ANY pump and you will get the Cash Price.

Benefits--
Get to use your rebate card
Get the Cash price
One less card to manage

We called the Flying-J home office and had a very positive discussion with a manager and told him this new policy, for RV'ers, was not a positive position for Flying-J. Either big rigs would tie up the RV and Car lanes or big rigs would go elsewhere to purchase fuel. He said many RV'er's are paying the credit price premium . Flying-J's position is that RV'ers who wish to pay cash price will get the Flying-J TAB credit card. He did say they will monitor the situation and react accordingly.

So I guess the message for us is "market forces will prevail".
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

That's why I still use a Flying J RV card. I no longer get their discount, but still get cash price with my Discover gas card.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Got a little lost here, Are you saying that if I use the RV/car lanes I now pay more if I use my Master Card and use my RV Flying J discount card or only in the truck lanes.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Only in the truck lanes. To get the cash price in the truck lanes you either need to pay in cash, use the gift card, or the Flying J MasterCard.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

I guess the next time we fuel up at the Flying J
I'll be running inside and purchasing a 'gift card' for a couple hundred dollars with my visa/mastercard - get MY rebates from MY credit cards - and then pay for my fuel via the gift card at the cash price!
If there's a will - there's a way!
Sounds like this is the way..........

Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jody & Jeff:
I guess the next time we fuel up at the Flying J
I'll be running inside and purchasing a 'gift card' for a couple hundred dollars with my visa/mastercard - get MY rebates from MY credit cards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If your credit card gives you a higher percentage cash back for fuel purchases than for other purchases, you might want to check to see if purchasing a gift card at Flying J shows up as a fuel purchase...I'd be willing to bet it doesn't.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I just got my FJ RV Plus Mastercard and filled up. Got the cash price ($0.09/gal discount) and the $0.01 RV discount. I just keep the Mastercard in the drawer in the coach just like I did the old RV card - FJ fill-ups is the only thing we use it for.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
We are very happy with the Flying J card too. Very convenient, and we to only use it for fuel.
Nobody ever seems to be lower priced on fuel then the J.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Nobody ever seems to be lower priced on fuel then the J. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually in some places there ARE stations with lower fuel prices.

When we were going to pass through Ellensburg, WA earlier this year, I got online to check fuel prices (specifically, diesel) and found that both the Flying J and the Pilots (?) in Ellensburg had diesel that was something like 20 cents MORE than the Union 76 in the same area. Obviously, we stopped at the Union 76 to fill up.

In short, it always pays to check prices in any given area before automatically assuming that Flying J will always have the lowest price.