Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2022, 07:10 PM   #43

I use GoodSam now. I've only needed them once in the last 6 years and they were great.

Prior to that, I had AAA. While they may be OK for cars, I would strongly NOT advise anyone to count on them for RV service.

First time I needed the "Premium RV Coverage" I purchased, they left me on the side of the highway for 14 hours waiting for a flatbed to tow my Vintage 74 GMC which, as I explained in my initial call, could not be towed by a wrecker. 10 hours (literally) after the call, they sent ... wait for it ... a wrecker, which refused to tow me (because the driver said he couldn't without doing substantial damage) and then he drove off promising they would have a Landsall flatbed there within an hour. I waited another 4 hours. Only after I called back for the 10th time and threatened to call the media (one of my good friends works for a CA network TV station) did they finally send the flat bed. But wait, there's more... They then demanded $3000 to tow me to the nearest place that could fix it. I paid it - noting it was under protest - and then had my lawyer send AAA a demand letter for reimbursement. Turned out that the problem was Nevada AAA (where I broke down) and CA AAA (where I live and bought the policy) were arguing over which franchise should pay the towing charges, so they just left me stranded for hours. They wrote the reimbursement check and apologized profusely. I was assured such a thing would never happen again.

Next time I was going to a different event in Nevada. I'd put brand new tires on the coach for that trip as my old ones (while looking fine) were 7 years old. What I didn't know was the particular batch of new (major brand named) tires had been recalled by the manufacturer due to a sidewall defect before I bought them. (The dealer from whom I bough them sold and installed them anyway, and ended up getting shut down, but that's another story.)

I was doing about 60mph on the I 5 south of Sacramento when my right front tire went thump, thump, thump, BANG!. FYI, GMC motorhomes are front wheel drive. It blew out some of the fiberglass side and the fender well covering. Somehow (and I have no idea how!), I was able to get control and get off onto the shoulder. After about 20 minutes of my wife and I calming down, I called AAA. They said it was a holiday weekend and they were super busy, so it would be "a couple" hours before they could send someone to change the tire. But a truck showed up in 45 minutes and changed the tire for me. We were back on the road with the blown tire on my rear carrier. (In retrospect, I should have gone to the nearest tire shop and replaced the blown one. But hey, they were all brand new!)

About 5 hours later, I stopped for gas a few miles east of Reno. I always do a walkaround and while inspecting my tires, I noticed a bulge on the outside side wall one of my rears. I looked more closely and 2 other tires also had bulges on the inside sidewalls, including my left front. This coach wasn't going anywhere like that. I then called AAA, told them where I was (a gas station off the 80) and, this time, a very nice man said they would send a flatbed for me within an hour. I used my cell phone and found the closest tire shop that had 6 correct tires was in Reno, called and asked them to hold them for me, which they agreed to do. 5 hours (and a few very angry calls) later, no flatbed. I finally got an honest (?) "supervisor" on the phone who told me that, because it was a holiday weekend, they wouldn't have an available flatbed for "AT LEAST TWO DAYS." I was not a happy camper.

The wife and I talked it over and we decided to try to get back (slowly!) to the tire shop in Reno. We drove about 35mph the whole way. Almost made it...

Exactly 2.4 miles from the tire shop (on the same street), my other front tire started leaking. I pulled into a parking lot (in a VERY sketchy part of town) just as it went completely flat and called AAA. I was told - quite rudely this time - they didn't provide flatbeds at all, but they would send a tow truck in 1 hour. I pleaded with the dispatcher, and her supervisor, explaining that you can't tow a GMC safely with a wrecker. But they sent one anyway. Of course, when he showed up 3 hours later, he refused to tow me, saying it would damage my frame, unless I signed a form absolving them for liability for the damage which he said it "would absolutely cause" - which I refused. He said he would see what else they could do for me and asked me to wait in the RV while he called dispatch, which I did. As I was telling my wife what was happening, and without any further contact, he just drove away.

It was raining, it was not a safe location, it was about 11pm and my wife was in full panic mode. I found an all night used tire shop about 10 miles away on my cell phone and confirmed they had a "close enough" tire that they could mount on a rim that could get me a mile or two. I pulled out my jack, removed the blown front, and called an Uber to take me to the tire shop. He showed up in 5 minutes.

My wife was seriously panicked and didn't want to leave the RV with all her stuff in it, so (against my arguing that her safety was more important than her stuff) "we" decided I'd go alone and we'd stay on our cell phones together until I returned. I also gave her a certain high quality "security device" of German manufacture, to use in case anyone approached that wasn't a police officer. An hour later, I was back. (I tipped the Uber driver $100 to wait and take me back when the tire was fixed). I installed the tire (in the pouring rain) and we drove the remaining couple miles and pulled into the tire shop parking lot where we both passed out. The next day, I had all 6 tires replaced. She insisted on flying home, which she did.

Both the tire shop that sold me the recalled tires and AAA paid substantial settlements for that one. Moral of this story... Always immediately replace a blown tire; and NEVER trust AAA.
XXXEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaimlerRV View Post
We are relatively new to RVing. Bought our first Sprinter-based RV in 2019, and just bought a new Super C a few months ago. On a 900 mile (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois Wisconsin, back through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and back to Michigan) trip this past weekend, we encountered a slow leak in one of our rear tires (Tireminder paid for itself right there).

We were in the middle of Indiana somewhere on Saturday night, it's around 8PM and getting dark, found a truck stop to pull over at and watched the pressure slowly but surely go down. Well at least I have an FMCA membership my naïve-self thought. After being over an hour on the phone making calls to several of their numbers, being forwarded to multiple people, I kept getting call centers that did not have any record of my membership. I finally ended up getting a number for the truck shop next the Flyin' J where we were parked at, and someone on call that night showed up about 10PM and got our tire fixed.

Come Monday morning, I go to call FMCA office to explain the giant fail we experienced. Being a member, which they immediately confirmed, and then explained the wall we kept hitting with their 3rd party call centers. Reason I know this, is that the people that kept answering told me this that they were contracted by FMCA to answer the phone. Anyways, FMCA then tells me that they don't use call centers, that they are closed on the weekends and then she just goes "we will cancel your membership" and then proceeds to hand up on me.

Yikes, this is not why I had joined. But given the only time I needed them and this is the kind of response you get on Monday morning, and no response when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, that is not what I thought I was signing up for. Maybe they are just flooded in memberships now that RVing has gained some much more market share of the leisure industry.

My question, who do you use and have had a good experience with when you needed it most?
Try Good Sam road service they are great
Mike Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #45

I used Coach-net. They saved me a bundle when I had my motor home. I had to have it towed 5 times when I had it and it never cost me out of pocket. And they have someone answer the phone 24-7
jlewi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #46

X2 on Coach-Net

been towed been towed at least 4 times by them nocost to me

one time i found my own tow, cancelled theirs, filed for reimbursement paid promptly
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:05 PM   #47

X2 on Coach-Net

been towed been towed at least 4 times by them no cost to me

one time i found my own tow, cancelled theirs, filed for reimbursement paid promptly
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
If the OP was in a truck stop with a flat why would he not just ask to get flat fixed rather than worry with getting roadside to put your spare tire on. what am I missing here

W5CI, Read again the first sentence of his second paragraph.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:06 AM   #49

Road side assistance

GEICO - 24 hours waiting on the side of the road, Okaton SD.

Progressive - 8 hours side of the road, Lordsberg NM. Gave up and found a local tire dealer.

Good Sam's member now, have not had to use them.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #50

We have been a member for 18 years...Usewd the emergency road service twice..Worked out great ! Renew every year !
J. W. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had Good Sam ERS for over 20 yrs since AAA stopped covering Travel Trailers. Only had to use Giid Sam 3x, flat tire on the trailer on I93 in NH, then a battery jump and low tire on the Class A in Florida. All responses were timely and at no extra cost.

That all ended 2 years ago when I had a rt front tire blow out on I-10 in Jacksonville. Called GS and was told to call 911 first as we were on the hwy. then call back. Ok did that, 911 didn’t seem to care, never saw a Road Ranger or a cruiser. GS said they’d get back to me, which they did, said I had to pay them over $1000 for a new tire, truck fee etc. Understand paying for the tire, they wouldn’t use my spare as it was over 7 yrs old. Not pleased about the extra fees that I believed GS should have covered but didn’t have much choice. Tire shop showed up replaced tire and off we went to the campground in GA.

Next morning decided better safe than sorry decided to replace left front tire too. Called around and found a tire shop that would come to the campground, replace the rd and charge me $250 LESS for the same G670 tire that I had to pay Good Sam for. Decided to have the 4 rear tires replaced as well.

Same year got stranded at Wal Mart after getting groceries when the Toad shift linkage dropped out. Called Good Sam expecting a quick response as there was a tow company a mile away. Almost an hour later they called telling me they couldn’t find anyone. Said they would keep trying. 3 hrs later a tow company calls me saying he’s on the way from 3 towns away and he understands I need a battery jump??? How did a dropped shift linkage go to a battery jump? Any way he shows up crawls under the vehicle and gets us moving. Dropped the car off at a repair shop for a $64 repair.

Not very happy with the latest responses from Good Sam, was a good company into Marcus got his hands on it.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Yes, please answer this. FMCA offers a Roadside Assistance product, fulfilled by a third party and with a separate cost, membership and phone number. It is not in any way just part of your FMCA membership.

And, their offices is not a 24/7 operation because none of the standard membership benefits are 24/7 either.

The issue seems to be that you have totally misunderstood what FMCA does and how it works.
This was my understanding as well. I (thought) I had FMCA Roadside Assistance and the card is out in my MH. The Roadside Assistance details are buried in their website, but is discussed on page 7 on the Member Benefits brochure.

LL
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #53

So sorry for your awful experience. We’ve had both Good Sam and Coach-Net. While some complain about Good Sam our experience was excellent AND the plan includes all our vehicles regardless of who’s driving, etc.
The one time we used it for our RV our tires had sunk in some new gravel at our new barn. It was sinking as it sat…back in turn was tight. Anyway, they called around and to locate someone who could help us on a Saturday without a very long wait they brought a guy from over an hour away. He did an amazing job and got us out.
Fast forward….our Newmar Dutchstar on Spartan Chassis came with Coach-net. We had an issue there and they were exceptional start to finish. They don’t have a plan that covers cars too. Therefore, at the end of the free period, baring any bad experiences with Good Sam, we’d either have to have both so our cars are covered separately or just choose Good Sam so one plan covers it all. We live in Indiana by the way!
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #54

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaimlerRV View Post
We are relatively new to RVing. Bought our first Sprinter-based RV in 2019, and just bought a new Super C a few months ago. On a 900 mile (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois Wisconsin, back through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and back to Michigan) trip this past weekend, we encountered a slow leak in one of our rear tires (Tireminder paid for itself right there).

We were in the middle of Indiana somewhere on Saturday night, it's around 8PM and getting dark, found a truck stop to pull over at and watched the pressure slowly but surely go down. Well at least I have an FMCA membership my naïve-self thought. After being over an hour on the phone making calls to several of their numbers, being forwarded to multiple people, I kept getting call centers that did not have any record of my membership. I finally ended up getting a number for the truck shop next the Flyin' J where we were parked at, and someone on call that night showed up about 10PM and got our tire fixed.

Come Monday morning, I go to call FMCA office to explain the giant fail we experienced. Being a member, which they immediately confirmed, and then explained the wall we kept hitting with their 3rd party call centers. Reason I know this, is that the people that kept answering told me this that they were contracted by FMCA to answer the phone. Anyways, FMCA then tells me that they don't use call centers, that they are closed on the weekends and then she just goes "we will cancel your membership" and then proceeds to hand up on me.

Yikes, this is not why I had joined. But given the only time I needed them and this is the kind of response you get on Monday morning, and no response when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, that is not what I thought I was signing up for. Maybe they are just flooded in memberships now that RVing has gained some much more market share of the leisure industry.

My question, who do you use and have had a good experience with when you needed it most?

It is clear in membership info I got and on the FMCA website that service of tires on the road is a separate benefit at a reduced price when compared with some providers. General membership does not include that benefit. You need subscribe. Have you reviewed your membership literature or the information on FMCA.com under "Benefits"?
Old 03-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I use your second option. Pay as I go.
Agreed.
For decades, at least as early as 1980 or so, I avoided the swamp of 'health care insurance':
* I go to the dentist, I pay cash.
* I go to the chiropractor, I pay cash.
* I go to Algadones for meds, I pay cash.
I get a busted windshield, I pay cash.
I get a suspicious intruder in a tire, I go to a tire fixing place... and pay cash.
Irregardless of outcome, my technician receives a tip.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #56

I think they all have there flaw's. I have coach-net. Somehow my fuel filter (plastic) got broken while driving. I called coach-net and there response was a filter is general maintainance, If we send someone out, the bill is all yours! and if they send someone it won't be until the next day. Found the closest truck stop. Uber and was back rolling in 3 hours. So much for a membership.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote