Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
FMCA losing their allure?

We've been FMCA Members for several years but as they continue to drop perks we're wondering if the membership fee is worth the price to "own" a number on an oval and get a discount on CoachNet.
Good Sam seems a likely alternative but I've noticed a lot of negative posts toward them and the barrage of mail they send.
We'd appreciate all comments from users.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
What benefits have been dropped? I find the membership is more than benefits as FMCA is a voice for those of us that love the RV lifestyle. Great magazine, many local clubs, fun national conventions, etc.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
One benefit we used was a 2 night stay for free at the FMCA campground at their Cincinnati Mail Forwarding site. This 15 site campground has full hookups with 50 amp service. It can be used 2 days per month for free for FMCA members. This one thing more than paid for our membership. There are also discounts on Michelin tires for those needing tires. These are in addition to the aforementioned CoachNet discount.

We are also members of Good Sam and Escapees. All have their benefits.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just renewed for 5 years. Paid for 4 and got the 5th free.
The magazine alone is worth the cost, then there's the tire program too. The did drop the medical evac though, which we really liked but never used.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

We've been thinking about joining FMCA, even tried to attend a regional rally once but was denied, saying we had to join first. All we wanted to do is learn more about the group before joining, guess that's out.
I suppose, just like FMCA, the Good Sam organization is misunderstood by some, others don't like it because it is the largest RVing/camping organization in the world. All junk mail from them may be stopped by just clicking a link on their website, that's not a problem.
The FMCA Michelin tire program has a disclaimer on the webpage stating, one should check with tire retailers first because sometimes they will sell tires cheaper than the FMCA pricing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's only $50 for a one year membership. No long term contract. No financial obligation. Give it a try. Good Sam has become a shill for Camping World.

Dave
Old 11-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #7

Yuch!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
But with my GS membership and ERS I get money off at CW which helps in emergencies. I won't run around the country without ERS during holidays. I think everyone's needs are different and we should look at our services with a critical eye from time to time.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I joined FMCA as it was required to belong to owners clubs, clubs have degraded and when the renewal is due, I will drop. I don't like large gatherings, Good Sam gives campground discounts, I get a good price for Coach Net without FMCA. The FMCA magazine is nice, if you like $3000,000.00 units, same info is available on the web. Just don't see the benefits.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We've been thinking about joining FMCA, even tried to attend a regional rally once but was denied, saying we had to join first. All we wanted to do is learn more about the group before joining, guess that's out.
I suppose, just like FMCA, the Good Sam organization is misunderstood by some, others don't like it because it is the largest RVing/camping organization in the world. All junk mail from them may be stopped by just clicking a link on their website, that's not a problem.
The FMCA Michelin tire program has a disclaimer on the webpage stating, one should check with tire retailers first because sometimes they will sell tires cheaper than the FMCA pricing.
They now offer day passes at the rallys. Good for the exhibits but not seminars and entertainment. How long ago did you try to go?
And every good group has it's detractors that will do whatever it pleases them to run someone/something down.
So, as with most stuff on the Internet: trust but verify!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They now offer day passes at the rallys. Good for the exhibits but not seminars and entertainment. How long ago did you try to go? And every good group has it's detractors that will do whatever it pleases them to run someone/something down. So, as with most stuff on the Internet: trust but verify!
If we only join organizations for what ever perks accrue to us as members then we may not be looking at the total picture. As a full time motor-homer I look to organizations like FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees, as a collective voice as governments at every level get more powerful and over reaching.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
...The magazine alone is worth the cost, then there's the tire program too...
Agree.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Agree.
X'S 2
Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Everything in life has it's pros and cons, but it seems at times the cons are more vocal. These MH organizations are just the same. There are a relatively few detractors that are very vocal and a majority of happy members that say nothing.

You get discounts on products and services. Members can use their campground for free with full hook ups and you get the louder voice in governmental discussions that only a large organization such as FMCA or Good Sam can provide. For the cost of the annual membership, these organizations are cheap.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote