Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabsquared View Post
Jon Walker says they can no longer afford to pay for the FMCA assist. Too expensive and they can’t afford it.

He did say that prior to finding a new provider that is costing the organization substantially less money. The revenue challenges are sure to continue for the foreseeable future. I’m confident they will make the needed adjustments as needed.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #58

…..lots of challenges these days for all the aforementioned organizations, as well as many other volunteer/membership groups--but FMCA seems to have some special issues it needs to address....agree that organizations need to redefine who they are from time to time, and continue to evaluate what services their members want and that they can provide....again, think FMCA's challenge is a bit bi-polar: on one hand they see younger RVers as an important demographic in their future planning, yet they continue to focus on benefits and services for us older folks--that is a tough nut to crack IMHO.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
To me, RV Travel seems to make their living off of reporting and promoting gloom and doom. They even sponsor some Facebook groups such as "RV Horror Stories".

We are FMCA members, as well as members of other groups, and will continue to be an FMCA member. I believe they try to promote RV'ing as opposed to bashing manufacturers, dealers, and campgrounds.

Ray
I argree with Ray. We will continue to support FMCA they don't abandoned us when we need help I'm sure not going to abandoned them when they need our help. It's similar to tipping that waitress a little extra than 15% because those in the service industry have suffered so much from covid. At least we do anyway. They may not have a job if their restaurant or business goes under. We have to support these businesses. Support YOUR FMCA.
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #60

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabsquared View Post
Jon Walker says they can no longer afford to pay for the FMCA assist. Too expensive and they can’t afford it.

The Assist program is funded thru 2021 as we just passed the budget with the program funded. Just so everyone knows, the budget was passed with a surplus of over $100,000. This was due to the Risk Management committee actively seeking a new provider which cut the premium almost in half. Plus there are added benefits included. The program now takes effect when you are only 75 miles away from home instead of the past 100 miles and there is a small AD&D added. Also an emergence cash benefit

The dues are $75 and not the $85 as someone claimed. For the first year dues are the $85 where the extra 10 bucks gets you the goose egg and a few other things.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #61

Well written. I think FMCA has been and is active in RV-specific governmental actions. If FMCA ceases to exist, we will loose any organized voice when it's most needed.

Safari included a one year FMCA membership when we purchased our 1995 TREK. I wonder if any manufacturer does that now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonandRoy View Post
I argree with Ray. We will continue to support FMCA they don't abandoned us when we need help I'm sure not going to abandoned them when they need our help. It's similar to tipping that waitress a little extra than 15% because those in the service industry have suffered so much from covid. At least we do anyway. They may not have a job if their restaurant or business goes under. We have to support these businesses. Support YOUR FMCA.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Well written. I think FMCA has been and is active in RV-specific governmental actions. If FMCA ceases to exist, we will loose any organized voice when it's most needed.
Escapees does the same actions.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
I am an FMCA member, and will continue to be. Not only for tge benefits I get, but to support our industry, and boost support for all others who enjoy RVing. The tire savings alone has really paid my membership for many years! And I can't say enough about their towing feature that really works, although I only had to use it one time, it is worth it! In today's world, all fraternal or group organizations are changing, and because of that, they have to change to keep up with the needs and wishes of the members. If we keep caring, forward thinking people in the leadership, the organization will be able to last long into the future. A "cliche" now is "We're all in this together..." and if so, then together we can achieve a lot. I have found folks I talked to at RV parks welcoming and interested in learning about FMCA, and have signed a few up. It's really worth mentioning around the campfires.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
I know lots of people enjoy Escapees, and I believe they are very helpful for full-timers. I have looked at the organization a number of times, and it just doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t help that I have had a number of really bad encounters with a few subgroups (they call them BOFs - Birds of a Feather). Some people have probably had bad experiences with FMCA chapters too. To me there is just too much emphasis on full-timers, not on part-timers like us. In my mind, FMCA is broader in purpose. Different strokes for different folks.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Is FMCA on the way out? I was looking at this group as a potential chapter to join in my area for social outings. However, it seems that most all chapters are no longer in existence. I have heard that FMCA has been going through some serious financial issues and membership is waning. Does anyone have a current status on FMCA?
I cannot stress strongly enough how important membership in FMCA is. Magazine very informative and excellent roadside assistance program. They took a couple of hits by doing the honest thing returning deposits to vendors and exhibitors when meetings had to be canceled due to COVID. It’s not that expensive and the value is awesome!!!
1PlasticMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #66

Reading this thread made me sad. I am not a RV owner yet but hope to in 3 1/2 years when I retire. A membership to FMCA was always one of the things I knew I wanted to do once I become an owner.

It sounds like FMCA's problems started several years before the Covid 19 pandemic but the pandemic accelerated things.

Perhaps expanding to include towables was a decision made a few years too late to retain their financial integrity.

I think the pandemic has been a cautionary tale for many businesses showing them that they need to sock away enough cash to weather a one year disruption of business. I know easier said than done but the truth is very few businesses have even tried to do that because we never dreamed something like this pandemic would happen.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #67

I guess I should have known or assumed that. However, if FMCA goes under, there will be one less organization addressing RV-related government actions.

Originally Posted by George Schweikle

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Escapees does the same actions.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #68

The times they are a-changin. I would like to see FMCA continue for the future and evolve with the changing times, but like many old timers they may be resistant to the ways of younger generations. The way I see it, you can either adapt or you can be a bump in the road and hope that people will continue to go around you, because if you’re too much of an inconvenience they might stop going your way altogether.
roaminranch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaminranch2 View Post
The times they are a-changin. I would like to see FMCA continue for the future and evolve with the changing times, but like many old timers they may be resistant to the ways of younger generations. The way I see it, you can either adapt or you can be a bump in the road and hope that people will continue to go around you, because if you’re too much of an inconvenience they might stop going your way altogether.
And,in addition to that......Each time a new President takes over...the next 4 years will be changed to how he thinks things you be going and in what direction. So everything changes again.....new vendors to get Insurance, roadside Service,mail forwarding...all will change for the best part of the next 4 years....seems like very little continuity... C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote