Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

FMCA Status

Is FMCA on the way out? I was looking at this group as a potential chapter to join in my area for social outings. However, it seems that most all chapters are no longer in existence. I have heard that FMCA has been going through some serious financial issues and membership is waning. Does anyone have a current status on FMCA?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FMCA will be just fine. They are having some problems right now like many business's. There are many Chapters in CA that are still active, not sure about Oregon.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #3

They've been having problems for many years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Is FMCA on the way out? I was looking at this group as a potential chapter to join in my area for social outings. However, it seems that most all chapters are no longer in existence. I have heard that FMCA has been going through some serious financial issues and membership is waning. Does anyone have a current status on FMCA?

This article will answer the questions above. In short, FMCA is hurtin' big time. All the best.

https://www.rvtravel.com/fmca953/
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
This article will answer the questions above. In short, FMCA is hurtin' big time. All the best.

https://www.rvtravel.com/fmca953/
To me, RV Travel seems to make their living off of reporting and promoting gloom and doom. They even sponsor some Facebook groups such as "RV Horror Stories".

We are FMCA members, as well as members of other groups, and will continue to be an FMCA member. I believe they try to promote RV'ing as opposed to bashing manufacturers, dealers, and campgrounds.

Ray
Old 12-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
To me, RV Travel seems to make their living off of reporting and promoting gloom and doom. They even sponsor some Facebook groups such as "RV Horror Stories".

We are FMCA members, as well as members of other groups, and will continue to be an FMCA member. I believe they try to promote RV'ing as opposed to bashing manufacturers, dealers, and campgrounds.

Ray

X2 Amen.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Commercial Member

i believe fmca will do just fine. they used to be class a and class c only, but they have started allowing trailer owners to join.
i have been a commercial member of fmca since 1998 and plan to continue on.
i believe they should go the way of good sam, and allow all campers to join. fmca needs new blood, and thats how you get it. most campers graduate up from tents to pop ups, then to regular trailers and so on.
every camper loves the outdoors, and i believe fmca will benefit by opening its membership to many more who want to join.
hwh is going to the national rally in perry georgia next march, hopefully. i have my reservation confirmed.
im looking forward to meeting old friends and new.
its been a long time since ive been to a rally of any kind. but hwh determines where i go.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I canceled all my RV Travel accounts when I got tired of their negativity. As for FMCA, they are like pretty much all organized groups these days - fewer members mean less money coming in. It is happening to lots of groups, but the cancellation of their March rally in AZ last year left deep financial woes. I belong, and I will gladly pay my dues to maintain a great source of RV information (their online library is very good) and a strong lobby for RVers. I really enjoy their rallies too, and we are planning our summer trips around their Diesel Club chapter rally and the July rally in WY.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Membership clubs of all types are on the wane and FMCA has been hurt financially by the loss of print advertising in their excellent magazine as well as declining membership. The social aspect, technical library, national + regional rallys and member benefits are all still excellent reasons to belong to FMCA, but every year fewer seem interested. I guess the various forms of social media, e.g. this one, are more attractive for many.

Back to your original question, why wouldn't you join anyway? You aren't risking much money and the membership is year-to-year, so why not try it out? If you don't get much value from it, you can always drop out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

I'd recommend the Escapees RV Club for lobbying for RVers. Their members are increasing because of a subgroup of younger RVers who are able to work while full-timing.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I am a member of fmca as its required to be a member of one of their Chapters that I do find value in. . Already noted is all the problems not the least of which younger people aren't ( generally ) interested in the social aspect. Especially the existing old guy chapters. No younger members = death. Opening it up to all Rv's may attract other rivers which was the goal but those old guys that paid the bills wanted an exclusive MH group addressing only those issues. I think they felt GS did the "other guys". Regrettably they left in a large number I think. GS and FMCA are nothing like they were
That said as far as a lobbying group with Rvers of all types concerns ,actively worked on, I'd look to Escapees and the younger sub group Xscapers ( working rvers and their concerns). In fact Escapees offers many benefits also like roadside assist virtually the same as FMCA for less money.
Hopefully FMCA can find their way.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'm an FMCA member and have enjoyed the financial rewards of membership especially the tire discount program and road side assistance program. And if ever needed, the medical assistance program. Given the wife and I are a few years away from retirement we were looking at a couple of Chapters near the Houston area that are quite active to start a transition to retirement phase of life. But like everything else in the world today, the Chinese Virus has forced cancellation of Chapter rallies that we could try. Hopefully sometime in 2021 the virus will be under control and rallies will resume. I do hope FMCA can survive is current financial challenges and can be more enticing to younger RV'ers like me (I'm not ready for pickle-ball or card games yet!).

In the meantime, FMCA, just like iRV2, has some very knowledgeable folks willing to help me on my multi-year effort of Motorhome 101 class. Someday with their help I may graduate to Motorhome 201 class (??).
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
I I do hope FMCA can survive is current financial challenges and can be more enticing to younger RV'ers like me (I'm not ready for pickle-ball or card games yet!).
Sorry to get off topic but Pickleball is not for 'old' people. It is played worldwide by younger people.... big tournaments. Kids learn it in their phys. ed. classes. It's an upcoming sport and we may see it in the Olympics some day. It's fun! Try it!!

Old 12-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I have been a FMCA member for quite a few years.......I love their Magazine and is one of the reasons I stay a member
They however ,go thru Benefits and providers like people go thru their socks
Couple years ago,they suddenly increased the Dues from $50. To $85. A year to !maintain the Medical transport benefit.....I'm sure this cause a lost of members....then just within the last few months they AGAIN changed PROVIDERS
THIS Has happened with all their benefits......Yo sign on get comfortable and knowledgeable of the benefit and they either change the benefit or CANCEL IT
Their Mail Forwarding Dept was fantastic and well run.....all of a sudden was eliminated in the space of 3 months
For $50.00 A month it was not a bad group to belong to.....BUT for $85.00 ,probably not as attractive...... C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote