Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fog Lights

The PO installed fog lights on the motorhome 83 Pace arrow and they no longer work, and I have never had or used fog light on any vehicle I have ever owned or drove, are they a positive thing on a motorhome and do they serves a purpose. I am pondering rather to replace them, so all of your feedback is most welcomed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

in my personal experience no matter what you are driving fog lights or extra lights always serve a purpose. My suv has fog lights on it and I use it not only for the fog but extra lighting when my high beams are not on I leave them on all the time when I drive. Our MH when we bought it had a set of fog lights on there and we just added two more sets on there to help the extra driving at night to light up[ the road so I would say replace them and add a another set to help. Happy Holidays
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fog Lights

I also added side lights. They are aimed at a low angle so as not to bother anyone. They work good when turning on dark roads or into driveways. We have DRL's also.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
There are real fog lights and not so good "fog" lights. "White" fog lights (vs. yellow) work work well, in my experience, to fill in the sides of the road (work good for spotting deer in the ditch). With a sharp "cut-off" they also work decently in fog and snow.

The add-on fog lights I've added have been Hella fog lamps. Over the years they have worked pretty good. I've added 2 Hella "mid-range" lamps to the motor home. They put just a little more light further than the low beams without blinding on coming drivers.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #5

Here is my crazy idea for fog light and it works awesome...

2 bulbs are for low beams and 2 bulbs are for high beams. all controlled from the normal dimmer switch. But none of its tied to the head light circuit. I'm using 2 realys to get the job done. But the lights are nice and bright I can see over 1/2 mile down the road with high beams and my low beams are nice and wide for spotting the last minute deer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1154 - edited.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	6891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3158.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	6892  

Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #6

Personally, if you need all that extra light, then slow down or park it. And though I am sure everyone here makes certain they are all properly aimed and tested so as not to interfere with on coming drivers, you must be the exceptions since most are not aimed and do interfere.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

They are checked and reaimed constantly. I'm legal with the only 4 bulbs burning 2 headlight and only 2 fog lamps. Then when I switch to high beam the other 2 fogs come on that are aimed higher. But just bump the switch and back the other way...

I live a long ways from any large town or city. Just to go shopping at a WalMart its ~180 miles away from me Yes its a 3 hour journey of nothing but open 2 lane roads.

It would be a different story if I live in a big town but I don't... Just to get a jug a milk for the house is a 40 miles ride one direction.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to the labeling on the box in the picture, those are aircraft spot lights you are using for fog or driving lights on your Dodge. Also the label states for Off Road Use, and as such regardless of how they are aimed, they are illegal for highway use in all states. . Way too bright!!!!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Foglites

I agree with jablair. Nothing more irritating than some one coming at you with unadjusted fog/driving lites.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #10

Funny...

Most all semis truck out here in Idaho run the very same lights... (Shrug smiley)

Even funnier yet I work with the local law inforcement (state and county) for search and rescue, fire dept, and EMS and never had any problems with the law about them for voer 7 years... (Shrug smiley)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
The PO installed fog lights on the motorhome 83 Pace arrow and they no longer work, and I have never had or used fog light on any vehicle I have ever owned or drove, are they a positive thing on a motorhome and do they serves a purpose. I am pondering rather to replace them, so all of your feedback is most welcomed
Hi Kartvines,
I have factory fog lights on my towd and would not be willing to go without them. As far as the MH is concerned, mine does not have them. I did drive the MH at night one time, but decided to avoid night time driving due to the poor lighting used back in '98.
If I ever decide I want to drive the MH at night, I will upgrade the stock lights to HID (high intensity discharge) This will allow the headlights to reach further and with brighter lighting.
I don't think I need fog lights on my coach for clear weather highway driving. I will agree with the other posters, that extra lighting is helpful when fog lights are installed properly, because the light is spread low and wide in front of and to the sides of the vehicle. But I also feel they are not necessary if the vehicle has good regular lighting.
Now if you need to actually drive in conditions for which fog lights were originally intended, fog, I would suggest pulling over and waiting for the fog to lift, with or without fog lights. I grew up on the coast of So California and found that driving in heavy fog at night with fog lights is very dangerous, even in a car. Visibility can be limited to one car length ahead of you. I would never attempt this in a motor home no matter what kind of lights were on it!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When I had to go to work, or get home, the fog lights on my car could be useful, but even then were rarely used (and please turn them off when not needed, as in daylight. They are rarely aimed correctly and are extremely annoying). As for the motor home, it has them, I'll never use them. If that kind of weather is anticipated I'll park it until it clears. This is supposed to be fun, white knuckle driving can now easily be avoided by just waiting out the bad weather.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #13

Fog lights make great headlights for our golf cart!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Funny...

Most all semis truck out here in Idaho run the very same lights... (Shrug smiley)

Even funnier yet I work with the local law inforcement (state and county) for search and rescue, fire dept, and EMS and never had any problems with the law about them for voer 7 years... (Shrug smiley)

Not funny, ( at least to drivers of oncomming vehicles), nor is it legal to have a vehicle equipped with lighting for highway use that can illuminate objects 1/2 mile down the road, as stated in your post. Check federal DOT lighting regulations, there are limits on amount of lumens and candle power for lighting systems used on vehicles for highway use.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote