Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Foggy Glass in Mobile Select

Just purchased a Mobile suite Select. Almost every window in it is foggy. I knew this when I purchased as the price reflected this. I just wonder how a glass company can continue to build there product year after year and not improve it. I am not sure who does the glass in this unit. All I can find on the glass is the usual safety numbers and a oho at the bottom . For a five year old unit this is a shame.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
paz

Foggy glass in RVs is a common problem. It seems the windows just can't seem to hold their seal with all the bouncing down the road and with all the temperature changes. There are several businesses around the country that do little more than repair dual pane RV windows.

We had several windows in our motorhome replaced under warranty (at less than 3 years old), and then went on to have those and all the others repaired over the next 4 or 5 years. The good news is the place where we had our windows done (Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL) has a 10-year prorated warranty. None of the windows they repaired for us ever re-fogged.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #3

Paz- That is what I was wondering about. If a after market company can guarantee for 10 yrs why cant the original company make them to last longer then the one year warranty they give. I am close to Hudson so will talk to them. Thanks for the info
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyho View Post
Just purchased a Mobile suite Select. Almost every window in it is foggy. I knew this when I purchased as the price reflected this. I just wonder how a glass company can continue to build there product year after year and not improve it. I am not sure who does the glass in this unit. All I can find on the glass is the usual safety numbers and a oho at the bottom . For a five year old unit this is a shame.
I have wondered why they keep building these leak prone, safety hazard windows and they haven't been recalled by now. I mean if we can put a man on the moon, why can't they build a quality window meant to be used in motorcoaches?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #5

I am currently parked at Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL with cardboard over the windows that are in the factory being repaired. There are at least 50 other RVs of all types and makes and price ranges doing the same thing. Makes you wonder if that $600,000 coach (not mine of course) is really worth it. It took them about 1 hour to remove the 5 windows. Should be reinstalled tomorrow.

They have 50amps and water hookups so aside from being in a parking lot it is not bad.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

15 years old and "stuff" is going to happen. I have seen foggy windows in 5 year old Prevost . There are numerous companies that can correct it.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

You have Drv Select Suite, not a Mobile Select. There are 3 companies that I know to repair the windows, the RV Fog Dr in Searcy, AR, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL and one that works around Mesa/Phoenix/Yuma. I think the name was Glass Boss, Joe is the owner. Maybe someone else can give better info on that one
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

Missourijan--Got it
on the Select Suite, thanks. Do you know who supplies the windows for The Select Suite? Would be curious to see if they are still in business.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Happyho".....There are a lot of companies now that are doing repairs, about $150.00. a window. You did good to negotiate the window repair into the deal. There was a post the other day where someone actually bought a new window from the manufacturer for less than the repair. Look around and try and determine the brand. A lot were made by HEHR.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
There are 3 companies that I know to repair the windows, the RV Fog Dr in Searcy, AR, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL and one that works around Mesa/Phoenix/Yuma. I think the name was Glass Boss, Joe is the owner. Maybe someone else can give better info on that one
I had Glass Boss do my rear window a little over a year ago and the seal between the glass is sagging and now the window is fogging again. Will not use them again.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #11

You can add our name to the Suncoast list. Windows are great and done on time.
My batts were dead when I went to pick the coach up...but they had pedestals right there, so plugged in and drank my coffee.

They did what they said they'd do, and they did it when they said they would.
Very rare in this day and age.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

We used two companies in Arizona. Glass Commander in Surprise / Phoenix Arizona, great people and even better work done, almost three years ago they did three of our foggy windows and they sill look brand new.
We also used, and will NEVER use glass boss in Mesa Arizona again, many no call no shows, foggy again after only 7-8 months and did not honor their warranty.
rileyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

RV manufacturers buy window glass from the low bidder. They only warranty the RV for a year, so no worries (at least not for them).

Nobody had a fogging problem until dual pane glass became more common in RVs. Then they found that standard dual pane glass, made for residential use, doesn't hold up long in RVs that move around a lot. Oh well... There is better window glass available, but its more expensive and few buyers ever ask about window quality. Most are more interested in the size of the tv or the horsepower of the engine.

A big window company, SE-GI, got into the RV window business and stole a lot of business with low prices, but their product was crap. Most RV makers eventually went to a different supplier, but stuck to their one year warranty, leaving owners holding the bag. SE-GI said the same with their warranty: "tough luck". And SE-GI still claims to be a "leader" in RV glass. See Window

As long as RV makers can wash their hands of their product after just one year, with little repercussion to the brand name, RV industry suppliers will continue to produce crap. They also don't bother to innovate, since they can sell the same old stuff year after year.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote