Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Foggy Windows

Has anyone tried to repair foggy motor home windows? I have a 2006 Fleetwood RevolutionLE and ALL the windows are fogged. I know I can take it to a RV window repair place but that would cost 200 plus dollars per window. I thought I might try this myself, I am pretty handy. Has anyone out there tried this, if so what did you use to seal the 2 glass panes together? Thanks for any help I can get.
1clickaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I watched Dave Root Glass Repair do six windows in my Providence. Good luck on doing it yourself. It was one heck of a lot of work. It was a two man job. Took them all day and they weren't messing around either. Not something I would want to do, but then the older I get the lazier I get.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't really think you want to try and do this yourself. There is a special technique to doing these for sure. I would definately have a qualified company do them. You'll save yourself alot of headaches.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I don't really think you want to try and do this yourself. There is a special technique to doing these for sure. I would definately have a qualified company do them. You'll save yourself alot of headaches.
Ditto don't try your self you can not get the damp air out and make the seal.leave it to the pros.just had all my windows in my tradition done.what a difference
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Talking

After purchasing my MoHo (out of province) I was required to get it "safetied". They would not pass it until I had the driver and passenger side windows fixed so they would not fog up. The glass company that took them out to re-seal them said they were etched and had to be replaced -- of course with tempered glass. The cost was just under $1,500.00.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clickaway View Post
Has anyone tried to repair foggy motor home windows? I have a 2006 Fleetwood RevolutionLE and ALL the windows are fogged. I know I can take it to a RV window repair place but that would cost 200 plus dollars per window. I thought I might try this myself, I am pretty handy. Has anyone out there tried this, if so what did you use to seal the 2 glass panes together? Thanks for any help I can get.
Unfortunately, your only choices are take it to a pro or replace the windows yourself. You cannot repair these yourself. The equipment required costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Also, sooner is better. Once the glass is etched, you have to replace the seal AND the glass. If you get to it before it becomes etched, you only have to fix the seal.

Good luck.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Any body knows of a window shop in New Jersey that can do this type of repair?
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #8

I have a '94 Bounder, so I had less at stake... I drilled two holes through the seal and aluminum - one at the top, one at the bottom. Started with a very small drill, then once I figured how much room I had, increased it a little. When I bought the RV in Oregon, I could barely see out of the driver's and passenger's windows. They cleared up over the course of a few days. Granted it is pretty dry here in Colorado, but we went to Texas earlier this year and camped in deluges - no fog. may seal the holes I drilled during a particularly dry spell, but so far it has not seemed necessary. Worked for me!
S2kskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #9

If you had them in St Louis,MO last Saturday, Your insurance would have fixed them. I seen a Winnebago with two holes threw the top fiberglass the hail was so bad.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I think you are looking at more like 300+ per window for a repair, if you can find some one to do it. And 500 to 1000 per for replacing the entire window. The people at Atwood Mobile Products are very helpful, you can order the glass you need from them (assuming your windows are Atwood/Excel) if they are still in production the price is very reasonable. If not they will build to order for $150 ea no matter what size. I recently replaced the glass only in three of my dual pane windows. Front passenger fixed pane and drivers side triangle fixed window were fogged and the rear small window in the slide fixed pane was broken. Total cost about $600, and it's really not that difficult. The larger windows like the front passenger require 2 people to remove and reinstall. I found a very detailed description of the process on this forum, Atwood (Excel) Window Condensation Repair. I personally think you are much better off replacing the glass rather than attempting a seal repair.
GNP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I also like to try new things. if I were you I would try the smallest one you have that is fogged and see what happens. worse case is you would have to buy a new one. hopefully your glass is not etched.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Sorry I have no experience to offer on how to reseal the glass.

I am sure you will get some inquiries as to where to get it done for $200. per window... I had 2 peices replaced on one side only in the cockpit. Parts and labor $1000. good wishes, old trucker.
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #13

dave root has a video on how to do it your self. he sales a kit for it . but after watching
it i plan to take mime to him and pay the price
daverootrvglassrepair.com
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not done so, but I am wanting to give it a try, I believe it can be done. Most are sealed with 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide double sided butyl tape. Tuolane or paint thinner should loosen the adhesive.
I think a simple wood frame would be the answer to getting the two panes back in allignment.
If it does not work nothing is lost but some time and $8 worth of tape.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote