Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
My wife would take offence that our food is not healthy :-)

We do use a lot of Turkey in lieu of beef.
Oh no!! I didn’t mean to offend your wife. I’m sure you’re blessed to have her and her wonderful meals. I’m sorry ~
Guess that means your not gonna try the apple with peanut butter?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
Oh no!! I didn’t mean to offend your wife. I’m sure you’re blessed to have her and her wonderful meals. I’m sorry ~
Guess that means your not gonna try the apple with peanut butter?
I am always fond of a good desert :-)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Zip Lock bags are your friend here - it's much easier to store lots of healthy food in a small RV fridge/freezer if you do it in Zip Locks.

We usually take a bag of washed salad greens, or maybe two bags. They take up almost no space if you remove the air as you seal the bag. A small bottle of healthy dressing makes this a good side dish.

Anything you can make at home and then freeze will be great if you have a freezer. I like to bring a meatloaf, sliced and then frozen in individual servings in Zip Lock bags. We carry a glass container to use to reheat things like this.

Fresh berries can be poured into a Zip Lock and then frozen before leaving home. They'll last during your whole trip if you have a freezer. Bring a tub of plain yogurt or cottage cheese to mix them into. Add a piece of toast and you have breakfast.

Eggs are a great food which is pretty easy to pack. If you need, hard boil them at home and they will stay for a long time in the fridge. Again, Zip Lock bag makes this easy.

Our local grocery sells single service guacamole. Great replacement for things like mayonnaise on cold cuts. If you're cutting carbs, bring some sliced cheese & healthy cold cuts along with some leaf lettuce to make carb-free wraps. We use the guac on these along with some sliced onions.

Lots of good options for packaged soups which are healthy and easy to heat.
Good info!
I’m starting to use my pressure cooker. It’s pretty foreign to me at this time. I like the idea that it’s quick-uses low wattage. I’m trying to master it for when I hit the road (full time). I love the idea of making a complete meal in one pot in a half hour or so. Tonight I’m making chicken and rice with mushrooms. If it’s not good (texture) I’ll just call it~soup!
Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #18

What we like to do is travel with our Vitamix. Sams club sells portioned bags of mixed frozen fruit and frozen blueberries. We grab some banana's and then orange juice but you could use any juice you like. I prefer Pineapple but its not always easy to get. We whip up a pitcher each morning and have that for B-fast and most of the time lunch. It's healthy, filling and tastes great. For dinners I make up meals we can portion and freeze ahead of time such as Lasagna and I make a killer Shepard's pie. I do mine from scratch with home made cream corn, seasoned beef and real potatoes nothing instant. Really the skies the limit on dinners. It's always fun to do tinfoil meals over the fire when camping as well. You can use whatever protein you like with fingerling potatoes, peppers, onions and carrots add a little Worchester sauce and seasoning to it and your all set. But we always like to go a out a bit when on a trip to taste the local flair.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #19

We use an instant for a lot of meals. Healthy and delicious!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We use an instant for a lot of meals. Healthy and delicious!
Do you mean Instapot? We started using the one we got for Christmas shortly after we got it. My wife likes it so well it goes in our MH on every trip we take.
Lynn
Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #21

If I'm going to do a lot of traveling, I make myself "Nut Mix". A bag of shelled pistachios, bag of cashews, bag of pecans, and a bag of walnuts. Obviously smaller bags work better. All are roasted because I prefer roasted to raw, but feel free use raw if you prefer that. Some are salted and some are not so that when I mix them all in a big quart (or gallon if I got big bags) ziplock bag I end up with everything being lightly salted.

Nuts are full of vitamins and minerals, and even help curb the appetite so if you snack on them while driving, you end up stopping less often for meals. I normally snack on them and end up eating only one real meal a day while traveling. Make it a late lunch, have a snack a few hours later, and you won't be hungry in the evening. Then just rinse and repeat the next travel day.
If you want, you can even toss in some dry cereal or pretzels if that's your thing. Just be careful with pretzels because they have a lot of salt. Also, don't go overboard and make two gallons of assorted nuts. It'll take forever to eat them all.
As far as real meals go, I normally make red beans and rice when I get where I'm going. Dry beans + 3 times as much water in an Instantpot for about an hour and 15 minutes. A little onion, bell pepper, and garlic too of course. Then just make some rice and enjoy.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #22

We full-time so we cook exactly like we do at home because, well, we are at home!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Do you mean Instapot? We started using the one we got for Christmas shortly after we got it. My wife likes it so well it goes in our MH on every trip we take.
Lynn
Yes instapot. It changed wording on me. But the wife enjoys using it and the meals are fantastic!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
PS spray pot with PAM or such to make ease of cleanup
We use the plastic liners made specifically for slow cookers. They also make storing leftovers very easy. Simply lift out the liner with the remaining food, drop the liner and food into a plastic storage container, fold the liner over the food to limit the amount of air touching the food, add the lid, and place the container directly in the fridge (on a potholder; remember the food is still hot).

Typically the crockpot is still clean after use. The lid needs to be washed each time, of course. But water usage is minimal.

PS: Thanks for the crockpot lasagna recipe. I need to try that one.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #25

We've used our crockpot quite a few times as we traveled down the road. It was nice to have BBQ ribs after an Alaska drive. We set it in the sink while driving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:35 AM   #26

With my first post heavy on the grilling fresh farm grown, fresh butcherd meat that we fill the deep freezer with.
We bring a months or more worth of Hollys range fed chicken eggs. West of Edison Ohio.
Always celery and Apples fresh for snacking, and yes, smeared with a little peanut butter.
We have never been pop drinkers but keep lemmons and my wife makes a pitcher of fresh lemonade every day for intestinal health. A refreshing drink always.
Vinegar and olive oil for cooking, lots of rolls of Amish butter from sugar creek.
It keeps for several months as we travel.
As do hard boiled brown eggs from Hollys farm or the daughters flock in Maryland.

So for health sake.

And a staple and weight control.
I did loose 50 #s the past two years after we went heavy on the vegetable beef or cabbage soup route.
A fresh pot of Cabbage or vegetable soup is made most every week.
Fresh vegetables all winter long from Hastings Florida or Bunnell.
The cabbage, potato capital

Summers, its Amish farm vegetables from Holmes county.or daughters garden in Maryland. Indiana melons, Michigan Blueberries, florida strawberries for desert.
Soups, Lots of carrots, garlic, onion's, some fresh grilled sausages and a head of cabbage.
I treated mine with a few cheeze its I see.
Desert anyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191025_003454.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	264684Click image for larger version

Name:	20191023_191737.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	264685
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Yes instapot. It changed wording on me. But the wife enjoys using it and the meals are fantastic!
As I said in my previous post my wife likes her Instapot. One problem we have with it is it draws 1200 watts. The campground we stay at the most for weekend trips has older wiring and the voltage is often lower than I like to see. This is especially true on the big weekends such as Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. When the voltage is low I run my generator to power up the Instapot.
We plan most of our meals around using our Coleman Road Trip grill. We avoid cooking inside our MH as much as possible. We have the Griddle plates as well as the grilling plates and they can be used with one of each in the grill. We cook a lot of side dishes wrapped in aluminum foil placed in a square metal cooking pan if there is a chance of a spill over or directly on the grill for things like baked potatoes. Most everything we prepare ahead of time at home is done so with the use of our grill when camping. We even roast corn on the cob on the Coleman. Of course any of the other small grills would work just as well. I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about which grill is the best. Please don't.
One of my favorite sides is potatoes. My wife will slice potatoes and place bits of onion between the slices, put a small amount of butter on the potatoes and wrap them in foil. Place them on the grill for 15 minutes then turn the package over and cook them for another 15 minutes. The last 15 minutes gives you plenty of time to grill a couple strip steaks. One of my very most favorites for a gut filling meal.
Lynn
Old 10-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #28

Like many have said we eat pretty much the same on the road as we do at home. I vacuum seal all left overs and these make great quick and healthy dinner meals when we are traveling especially on those overnight stops when I tend to be more tired from driving all day. Once we are stationary for a night or two I’ll get down to grilling and cooking fresh meals as I have more prep time.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convestion, cooking, food, induction, insiderv, rvcooking