Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

For folks still working: Multiple week long trips vs one two longer trips

Hi all,

For those still working do you prefer spreading out your trips or taking one or two longer trips a year?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think it depends on how far you want to travel. Weekend getaways can be just as much fun as longer trips. If you want to go to distant places, then a longer time is needed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
For folks still working: Multiple week long trips vs one two longer trips

We take a variety of trips, couple longer 1-2 week, a few long weekends, and as many weekend trips as we can fit. 8-10 outings and 6-7,000 miles traveled per year.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

Thanks both for posting,

We try to get away for 3-4 nights every other weekend and one week long a year. Hope to do more next year.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We shoot for two 1-week trips a year, and a long weekend in the other 10 months (live in Florida, so it's usually nice enough year around).
For the week long trips we don't go farther than we can get in a day's drive. Now that may be a 13 hour day, but still just a day.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

The DW and I work 12 hour shifts and our schedules generally line up with each others. So we are fortunate to be able to head out for usually 6-7 days a month, and then take an extended run of 2-3 weeks in February when we head to the Keys. Always looked at it as an RV sitting still is a waste of money.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Depends on our plans. I'm retired, she gets 5 weeks vacation each year. This year it was split 3/1/1, next year probably 2/1/1/1. Usually a couple weekends each month too.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

My wife and I both work full time. We are fortunate enough to each accrue five weeks of leave a year. However, since our kids are in middle school, we have to schedule our camping trips around the kids’ free time; during summer break, long weekends, and fall, winter, and spring breaks. Additionally, we take advantage of long weekends whenever possible.

As we live in Arizona, we can camp all year long. During summer, we try to take a full two-week long trip, normally out of state. During fall, winter, and spring breaks, we try to take three or four day long trips. These trips are normally in-state.

With all that said, we average five to eight trips a year.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:35 AM   #9

Still working: one long weekend trip in March. Maybe a couple weekends in April. Nine days in May. Maybe one long weekend in June. Nothing in July or August because she doesn’t like bugs and I don’t want to sit around inside a refrigerator. Lol. We usually do car road trips every weekend though. Nine day long trip in September plus a weekend. We didn’t go anywhere this October because everything was over-booked with all the newbies. Will try to go somewhere in November for a weekend. I usually wait for a dry weekend in December to run a 40 mile drive for topping off fuel.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #10

I wouldn't be too hung up on what others do...
Try some of each and decide what YOU like best.
We did both while working but I got 2 extra wks vac every 5th yr. That gave us the time and excuse to plan an extended trip every 5 yrs. We took all 5 wks one year to do Alaska.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #11

Hi all,

Thanks all posting.

We live way up north so our rig is on the road from mid April to mid October. I get decent vacation but half of it goes towards trips to see family back home.

We both are able to work extra each Monday-thursday and so off every other Friday, that allows 10-11 decent weekend trips and a couple of longer trips.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #12

Do to the nature of my work, a summer camping trip was; Friday morning, it's raining. Load most of the gear, (Or hook up later years) head to a state park. When somebody cancels, I got a spot. Call DW, "we are at site ## in _____, load cooler and dogs..."
Sometimes we would set up 1 weekend, she would stay all week, I come home next to bring her home. By Thanksgiving, work would be slowing, so we would get a day or 2 head start on that long weekend. She would take the first and last week of each year...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It takes about the same time to load & prep for a short trip as a long one. So I prefer longer trips to make the time worthwhile!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
It takes about the same time to load & prep for a short trip as a long one. So I prefer longer trips to make the time worthwhile!
This is a given. But if you are going out for 3 days next month, I can leave more in than if it is going to set for most of a year...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote