Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford rep about scangauge *rollseyes*

I called the customer service at ford to complain about a bad dealer experience the other day. I happened to mention the scangauge pulling no codes.
After I finished, she goes, I would like to inform you any third party item like your scangauge may interfere with the ecm and cause issues with the normal operation of the vehicle. I explained it's a passive reading device and in no way affects the operation of the ecm. She said it might have bad wires causing issues...
I wish I knew where the call center was so I would know not to drink the water there There has got to be something in it...

I should have taken her name so I could call her the next time I have to have a problem diagnosed...
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

I had a Ford Tauris money pit. I called Ford to see what they would do and they said nothing because I did not have the work done at a Ford dealer. I bought it used with 45,000 miles on it. Before it had 75,000 miles on it I had to replace the A/C compressor, fuel pump, radiator, radiator cooling fan and a few other items. Total $ 2200.00.

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER FORD OR EVEN RENT ONE !!!
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

We've had Ford vehicles almost exclusively since 1988 and they've all been dependable. We've only had 1 issue in over 20 years (a leaking heater core) and are very happy with Ford products (and this from a MOPAR guy).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had my head thumped many times in these threads about which is best-----tires, cars, wifi, etc; you name it everyone has a favorite or one "they wouldn't own if________"!!!!

So I've become philosophical in my old age. I think all major manufacturers of what ever try to make a decent reliable product and they succeed to a high level otherwise we would all be using pure junk.

My 93 Ford Ranger is suffering it's very first problem---the ABS light is on---so I'll get it checked out. I've owned it since 98. Not bad. Would I buy another---you bet---would it give me the same service---probably not. Who knows why?

But for some reason all manufacturers have problems---sometimes with one vehicle---for some reason it is a lemon. Other times with an entire line--for some reason the engineering just did not work etc; so we have recalls. Every major manufacturer has recalls from time to time---every manufacturer has people who swear by them just the same.

Consumer reports if you believe them does a good job of chasing these things down and in my experience has been pretty accurate over time. But after all my research and careful buying smarts------when I got my new (back in 04) Honda CR-V they began bursting into flames all over the country. It turned out to be a bad seat on the spin on oil filter, which then leaked onto the catalytic converter. Is Honda a bad car---I think not and mine has preformed flawlessly and flamelessly.

Consumers is not impressed with the Smart car---but I met a guy this past winter that thought his was the cats pajamas-----if he is happy then so what about consumers?

For the record I'm a Chevy guy---do I own one---well no----- unless you count my MH.

Go figure.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

We have owned nothing but Ford products since 1983 and have gotten very dependable service out of all of them. I used to be a Chevy guy.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard practice is to blame the 3rd party device/product/addon/upgrade.

I mean.. Let me put it this way.. Let's say your body was insured like your vehicle is warranted.. You call you insurance company due to a broken ankle.

Oh, you used hair cream.. be advised that 3rd party add on products may interfer with the operation of the body and can cause failure.

I'm not saying it's impossible.. but you'd need an electron microscope to see where to put the dot on the probility line, it's that close to zero.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

This is so true "blame the 3rd party" is another form of CYA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The standard practice is to blame the 3rd party device/product/addon/upgrade.

I mean.. Let me put it this way.. Let's say your body was insured like your vehicle is warranted.. You call you insurance company due to a broken ankle.

Oh, you used hair cream.. be advised that 3rd party add on products may interfer with the operation of the body and can cause failure.

I'm not saying it's impossible.. but you'd need an electron microscope to see where to put the dot on the probility line, it's that close to zero.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While waxing philosophic----- I completely ignored Ctcamper and his plaintive pleas-----

These customer support centers have been farmed out to many exoctic places....the fact that who ever you spoke to was using english plainly spoken is an exception---perhaps Ford has retained something akin to "real" customer support. Usually when I call I can hear the person---sometimes Costa Rica other times India-----who knows where thumbing through manuals as they ask inane questions.
They are all of course trained to state the "policy" regarding third party devices etc;

I notice in these threads when someone gets good service they are enthusiastic about sharing that information; and dismayed to share the opposite experience.

REal customer service is becoming a scarce item---we should value it when received and perhaps to prevent a personal coronary when on the phone---lower our expectations of others.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was a complaint about a ford dealer and did not call for a subjective view of a person who's duty is to record complaints and forward them to the appropriate department.
I thought is was humorous that this individual was so savvy in the technical workings..

LOL Now I wonder if I violated my warranty by using turtle wax soap to wash it???? Oh boy I am really in trouble now after all the surfactants in the third party soap cause the rapid oxidation of the dohicky in the whatcamacallit.

Funny thing is, I have played with cars and rebuilt my toys since high school and I have found the third party parts and accessories to be far superior that that of the manufacturers labeled products.

She praised me for having five fords in the database... wheeee I have also had various flavors of chevy, dodge, honda, toyota. I care not for what brand it is, but if it works as it should.

Yes customer service is a thing of the past. I will not do business with an outfit if they do me wrong and don't fix or make it good ..I will complain if I feel things aren't good. Most of the time they don't care if they are a big outfit, which is why I like to go to the little guy if at all possible.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford