Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Technically the big two. Stellantis, Dodge etc is a Dutch company.

There is kind of a big three right now but the third is Tesla, although they still have some catching up to GM and Ford.
Not taking the bait...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
I'm just assuming that since Kia and Hyundai cars are of excellent quality .
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Their expertise is in high volume highly mechanized production, and building RV's is a low volume and hand-built activity. RV's do not play to the strengths of the foreign brands.
From what I have read about the Korean RVs they are mostly built by robots just like their cars. So, they would naturally be better built than the American RVs which, as you state, are still hand built. I don't think that the Koreans have been building RVs that long and possibly the reason they have not gotten dealerships in the US.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
There are an awful lot of them on the roads so they must be doing something right. In the last 8 years I've had a Kia Sorento and a Hyundai Tucson. Not one problem. And, they have the best warranties in the business in case I do.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #33

They seem nice, creatively designed and very reasonably priced. Note that the reviewer mentions that he's 6'2" tall so the beds seem ample. He's primarily an automobile reviewer and admits he's not an RV expert but he does a reasonably good job despite being a little light on the technical details. The Kia's battery looks like it might be a LiFePO4, but he doesn't mention it. I haven't searched but I'm sure there are more detailed reviews online.

I see these as a cross between a class B and class C (built like a C, sized like a B). I think there'd be a definite market in the US for these, especially considering the trend toward smaller RVs. On our short camping trip last week, about half the RVs in the county campground were fairly new, smaller, 20' or under TTs. The prices are attractive, $150k+ for a Sprinter-based Class B vs. $42k (Hyundai) and $60k - $62k (Kia). I'm not sure that these prices reasonably reflect what they would cost in the US after shipping, import fees, etc.

My second and third motorhomes were air-cooled, pre-Vanagon European VW Westfalia pop-tops, my first being a self-converted Ford E150, Econoline van. If I were younger and fitter I'd definitely be interested in one of these Kia and Hyundai options.

Here's more:

The KIA Rayv is definitely on the tiny side but still pretty nice:

https://carbuzz.com/news/this-kia-co...est-camper-van
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:46 AM   #34

Well, if you like a small RV that likely can’t pull much weight then the Kia might be for you. Many if not most RV’ers want much bigger coaches with slides that can pull a decent size toad. Are there any foreign RVs that fit that description?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post

I am actually glad we have foreign vehicles being made here, its seriously awesome for the economy!

Heck yeah. If you think about it, anyone from anywhere can buy stock in any major automaker, including foreign ones. A factory in America making jobs and revenues in America is more important than ownership.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Well, if you like a small RV that likely can’t pull much weight then the Kia might be for you. Many if not most RV’ers want much bigger coaches with slides that can pull a decent size toad. Are there any foreign RVs that fit that description?

Of course we are talking about motorized RV's. I think these are aimed at the same market as Class B's. The KIA RV is about the same width as a RAM 1500 pickup. I suppose a toad wouldn't be needed. But going off improved roads might be an issue. Looking at the clearance, it lseems like it has a pretty small departure angle. I wonder if it would bottom out on a lot of our gaso station curb aprons.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #37

Quote:
There are an awful lot of them on the roads so they must be doing something right. In the last 8 years I've had a Kia Sorento and a Hyundai Tucson. Not one problem. And, they have the best warranties in the business in case I do.
Quantity doesn’t equal quality. They are the walmart of the automotive world. Dump a bunch of cheap product and give store credit for any returns.
The big box auto part stores do the same thing by offering parts with lifetime warranties. It gets you back into their store spending more money while exchanging that lifetime part when you could have done the job only once with a quality part in the first place.
To address your original inquiry. No auto manufacturer makes an RV. RV companies build RV bodies upon supplied chassis’s. Your getting the peanut butter and chocolate mixed up.
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #38

Quote:
I don't think they manufacture motorhomes, do they? Only travel trailers and truck campers.
Prevost bus's and coach/rv's are made in Canada. The coach builders may be down here but the bus chassis is made in Quebec.

Due to NAFTA regulations Mexican and Canadian built vehicles are generally extremely easy to import compared to say, anything made outside of North America.
KurtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
They would compete well with Class B and B+ RVs. Incidentally, the latest market sales data show Class Bs currently outselling Class As. Someone wants those small RVs without slides!
Old 10-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
They would compete well with Class B and B+ RVs. Incidentally, the latest market sales data show Class Bs currently outselling Class As. Someone wants those small RVs without slides!
Yah. I agree. Although that may be regional. Certainly smaller class A’s and C’s are more popular here than large coaches. But I’m sure that’s not the case everywhere.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I would assume that weekend warriors would be after the smaller units but we opted to go full time for a while and got ourselves a well loved 40 foot unit to live in while we traveled.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
I would assume that weekend warriors would be after the smaller units but we opted to go full time for a while and got ourselves a well loved 40 foot unit to live in while we traveled.
Subject is the viability of the very small Hyundai and Kia RVs.... While one CAN full time in anything, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they would be aimed at full-timers.

They could effectively compete against Class B and small Class C RVs bought by weekend warriors.

This is August of this year, which is the last one I had seen:
https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/a...monthly-record
Class B sold more than Class A.

However, I just looked up September and it looks like they slipped a little in September:
https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/s...e-month-record

Still lots of people buying Class B RVs, and Class C. Some of those Class C would be B+.

These are national numbers. No doubt it's different regionally.

Tags
rvs