Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Foreign Manufactured RVs

Are there any American dealers for RVs manufactured in other countries? Kia and Hyundai manufacture some decent motorhomes and they are half the price of American manufactured MHs. Without a doubt they are much better quality also. Have never seen any dealers that carry foreign brands.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

If the "base" vehicle is not approved for the U.S. (EPA and DOT), the cost divided by the relatively few units would not make importing them a reasonable business decision.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
If the "base" vehicle is not approved for the U.S. (EPA and DOT), the cost divided by the relatively few units would not make importing them a reasonable business decision.

Exactly! That is why air-cooled VW bugs are not sold in the U.S.A. even though they might be a hot seller.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Exactly! That is why air-cooled VW bugs are not sold in the U.S.A. even though they might be a hot seller.

Actually, the BUG was last built in 2003 in Mexico.

While working on the air cooled VW's payed my way through University, the were very close to being outdated technology 40+ years ago.

Still have dreams about installing "case savers" in 1968-1970 VW's-- even with very low miles. And, in Texas, even with PERFECT maintenance, 60,000 was about the limit on engine longevity before the #3 exhaust valve decided that visiting the piston was a good idea.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #5

I had a acquaintence who had the first Smart Fortwo in Indiana, and one of the first in the US, in the mid-2000's. Although he bought it from a dealer in the UK, because of legal rigmarole it was considered "used" by the time he got it, and he could only drive it 1000 miles per year AND self-insure it. Then, once Smarts began selling here, he could still only drive it 1k miles per year because it was "gray-market" and produced prior to approval. The VIN was out of the approved range. Far more trouble than it would ever be worth.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If Triple E/LTV counts......

As for Hyundai/KIA, looks up engine recall

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/19/...problem-costs/

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
Are there any American dealers for RVs manufactured in other countries? Kia and Hyundai manufacture some decent motorhomes and they are half the price of American manufactured MHs. Without a doubt they are much better quality also. Have never seen any dealers that carry foreign brands.
Hmm…. Just wondering why you say Kia and Hyundai RVs are much better quality. Do you have firsthand knowledge?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #8

There are lots of Canadian RV’s in the US. The Bigfoot factory is 12 kilometres from our house and I would think the majority of what they sell is exported to the US.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Hmm…. Just wondering why you say Kia and Hyundai RVs are much better quality. Do you have firsthand knowledge?
I'm just assuming that since Kia and Hyundai cars are of excellent quality that their RVs would be too. They seem to have so much confidence in their manufacturing process that they give a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty. Don't see any American manufacturers even attempting that. I hear so many complaints about the quality of most American made RVs and the manufacturers that produce them.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
There are lots of Canadian RV’s in the US. The Bigfoot factory is 12 kilometres from our house and I would think the majority of what they sell is exported to the US.
I don't think they manufacture motorhomes, do they? Only travel trailers and truck campers.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
I don't think they manufacture motorhomes, do they? Only travel trailers and truck campers.
There are at least three class B manufacturers in Canada and I think some class C type units.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm just assuming that since Kia and Hyundai cars are of excellent quality that their RVs would be too. They seem to have so much confidence in their manufacturing process that they give a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty. Don't see any American manufacturers even attempting that. I hear so many complaints about the quality of most American made RVs and the manufacturers that produce them.
Well that’s good for them and the consumer but that warranty covers the power train only (engine and transmission) and it is limited as indicated in the fine print. You must prove that you did proper maintenance throughout that warranty and it is also not transferable. I usually trade my cars in at the 60-80K mile range. Most newer vehicles today should easily last 100,000 thousand miles on the powertrain if proper maintenance was done. It would be nice if that same type of warranty would apply to motor homes but then the problems most new MHs have are with other items other than the power train. Kia would likely price themselves out of the market if they did a bumper to bumper 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty…. Especially for MHs.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Well that’s good for them and the consumer but that warranty covers the power train only (engine and transmission) and it is limited as indicated in the fine print. You must prove that you did proper maintenance throughout that warranty and it is also not transferable. I usually trade my cars in at the 60-80K mile range. Most newer vehicles today should easily last 100,000 thousand miles on the powertrain if proper maintenance was done. It would be nice if that same type of warranty would apply to motor homes but then the problems most new MHs have are with other items other than the power train. Kia would likely price themselves out of the market if they did a bumper to bumper 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty…. Especially for MHs.
I have had a Kia Sorento and currently have a Hyundai Tucson. They both have a pretty comprehensive 100,000 power train warranty. They also have a 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I also get a very complete 5 year roadside assistance. Have had the Tucson for over 3 years and not one repair problem. Regular 3,000 mile maintenance and I just replaced the battery.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #14

What is the powertrain warranty on most American made vehicles nowadays.

Tags
rvs