Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Free Admission to National Parks 2014

Circle the dates on the calendar and plan your trip – America’s 401 national parks will offer free admission on nine days in 2014, including several holidays!

The 2014 entrance fee-free days are:
· January 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
· February 15-17: Presidents Day weekend
· April 19-20: National Park Week’s opening weekend
· August 25: National Park Service’s 98th birthday
· September 27: National Public Lands Day
· November 11: Veterans Day

*from nationalparkvisitor.com
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some National Parks are free to visit all the time BUT charge you for parking.
Mt Rushmore is an example.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't forget, with the "senior pass", it's free all the time.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Certainly nothing bad about accepting a free offer. That is nice information.

Our National Parks have had budgets cut severely. I personally like to pay.

Many of us qualify for the Senior Lifetime Pass to National Parks. A great way to support our national parks and gain long term access very reasonably. As a matter of fact it seems free once you have your card it cost ten dollars.

I also do the same for our Washington State parks although I seldom use them I buy an annual pass each year. Right now I have need of sewer dump and one is close by in a State park. I can dump there for "free" if I have an annual pass. It is saving me money and supporting our State Parks at the same time. Win win.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I got the America the Beautiful senior pass. I had to pay $20, because there's no place close by to pick it up in person for $10.

The first time I used the pass was at a COE campground that only charged half-price ($14 vs. $28) per night for camping. I stayed two nights; saved $28 so that paid for the pass with money left over. What a great deal! And it's valid for my lifetime!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You can also get the same lifetime pass if you have the paperwork for being disabled. I got mine this past summer. You can also get a pass for the state parks for FL and TX for being a veteran, double check thou with them as I don't remember if it's only disabled or all vets but a resident of any state can get them. Some states you have to be a resident to get their vet passes for a discount or free.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Isn't Rushmore a national memorial? Just being picky
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Isn't Rushmore a national memorial? Just being picky
Yes it is, but it still comes under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. The America the Beautiful pass is an "Inter Agency" pass. It is also valid at National Monuments, National Wildlife Refuges, Bureau of Land Management, National Forest, National Seashore locations and some others. It normally covers basic admission fees and gives other discounts including camping at many locations. The $10 for life Senior Pass is a great deal, but don't forget also that active military and registered disabled persons can get a pass for free.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Yes it is, but it still comes under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. The America the Beautiful pass is an "Inter Agency" pass. It is also valid at National Monuments, National Wildlife Refuges, Bureau of Land Management, National Forest, National Seashore locations and some others. It normally covers basic admission fees and gives other discounts including camping at many locations. The $10 for life Senior Pass is a great deal, but don't forget also that active military and registered disabled persons can get a pass for free.
Is there a web site that would give more info (where and how to) on these passes? My DW is not only disabled but is also a vet. Thanks for any and all advise on this!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Is there a web site that would give more info (where and how to) on these passes? My DW is not only disabled but is also a vet. Thanks for any and all advise on this!
www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought the Golden Age Pass the day I turned old enough. Paid for itself the first time I used it. It pays for myself, my DW and anyone in the vehicle no matter their age. I always feel guilty when I use it. So will usually leave a bit in the donation box. Our Parks are a great resource and seem to be used by more people every year. Going to Yellowstone or Yosemite and traveling with the CROWDS is reason to believe that. Went to 10 different parks or national park run spots this past year alone. I found many of the Presidential Libraries very interesting and educational.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
I have the states and federal websites here along with some information that was at least correct about 2 yrs ago. I have not checked again lately so if you see something wrong let me know, thanks:
Thom and Chris: Federal and State Park Pass information

Florida and Texas also offer free passes for any disabled vet. Check the restrictions on the other states. Some will allow the federal pass to be used in the state for some discounts, like LA 50% off camping fees with the pass.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
rpk

Federal Park Pass at Mt Rushmore

Entrance to Rushmore is free, but parking is not, and they clearly post that Golden Access/Golden Age passes can not be used for parking fees. The multi-level parking facility was financed by a loan which is being paid back by the fees. As I remember the loan should be paid off in 2015.

Will that mean parking will then be free? Sure, and I have this bridge I would like to sell you......
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national