Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2021, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
My water and sewer both connected in heated bays, so never considered that a problem.

Glenn
Thanks. A big part of my problem is I don’t know what I have or how well the wet bays are insulated.

If my signature isn’t showing up I’m in a 2003 NT 7395.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #16

I'm assuming your sewer and gray drain dump connection is exposed? I have no experience with those in really cold weather, but I presume the exposed section of drain line could freeze solid if it gets cold enough. I doubt it would happen in the high 20s, but who knows? If that's a concern, you might want to dump every evening.

Also consider your low point drains and fresh tank drain.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
I'm assuming your sewer and gray drain dump connection is exposed? I have no experience with those in really cold weather, but I presume the exposed section of drain line could freeze solid if it gets cold enough. I doubt it would happen in the high 20s, but who knows? If that's a concern, you might want to dump every evening.

Also consider your low point drains and fresh tank drain.
Your assumption is correct. It’s not a big problem disconnecting the water line at the faucet and letting the water in the hose to drain on the ground. The sewer line is a different story. What I don’t want to do is have to unhook both water and sewer from both ends whenever it’s going to freeze slightly for a few hours at night and then get warm the next day.

I continue to read the weather reports and now see next Wednesday the low will be 18. I do not want my basement tanks and inside hoses to freeze. The sewer line laying on the ground freezing is no big deal. I’m thinking not flexing and handling the lines when it’s 35 will do less damage than just letting the tiny bit of residual water and waste freeze. I’m old and my hands don’t do what I tell them to do when it’s cold.

Even at 40 degrees it is difficult for me to unhook everything. Getting old is not for the young at heart.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #18

Freezing temps

Everyone has their own opinion as to what to do and how to do it and their own experiences. The way I look at it is that Mother Nature does not care what RV you have or how complicated or uncomplicated you water system is. My coach is too expensive for me to attempt to play with Mother Nature. That said I will tell you what we have done. Our water bay is not heated so I put a 100 watt normal light bulb from an old style mechanics work light (yes I am that old) working to keep the water bay warm. Assuming you have enough volume in your fresh water, gray and black tanks they should not freeze. I disconnect and drain out my fresh water hose so that it will not freeze. Just the way I do it with minimum freezing temps and duration. Let us know how you make out. Stay safe, Stay well, Happy Holidays to All
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Everyone has their own opinion as to what to do and how to do it and their own experiences. The way I look at it is that Mother Nature does not care what RV you have or how complicated or uncomplicated you water system is. My coach is too expensive for me to attempt to play with Mother Nature. That said I will tell you what we have done. Our water bay is not heated so I put a 100 watt normal light bulb from an old style mechanics work light (yes I am that old) working to keep the water bay warm. Assuming you have enough volume in your fresh water, gray and black tanks they should not freeze. I disconnect and drain out my fresh water hose so that it will not freeze. Just the way I do it with minimum freezing temps and duration. Let us know how you make out. Stay safe, Stay well, Happy Holidays to All
I have a remote thermometer in my water bays and they are well above freezing even when it gets down in the teens. I would not gamble with them. A $20 sewer hose and water line is a different story. At my S&B I’ve left unhooked water hoses out all winter and never had any problems.

From what I’ve read is that my house furnace will warm the water bays and I can not turn off the heat at night. There is even a chart telling me how high I should keep the MH for specific low temps. This is all assuming I unhook all lines. What I’m really thinking is an empty hose still connected and hanging out the bottom will not allow enough cold to transfer into the bays. At some point that might not be true. Four degrees under freezing for two hours seems safe. Now I’m looking at 14 degrees below freezing for up to six hours.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
National RV was very good at providing heat to the bays as long as you are heating the coach for habitation. My coach is my second National product, and both did very well, my previous post about winter in AZ was in a 98 Sea View by National and my 06 Sea Breeze has also been used in winter camping with no freeze problems.

Glenn
Old 12-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
National RV was very good at providing heat to the bays as long as you are heating the coach for habitation. My coach is my second National product, and both did very well, my previous post about winter in AZ was in a 98 Sea View by National and my 06 Sea Breeze has also been used in winter camping with no freeze problems.

Glenn
Thanks. I went back and reread your post.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:18 PM   #22

I's simple to fill your fresh water tank and store the hose. Run off the fresh tank. When tanks need emptying pull out the sewer hose; empty them and store the hose. We could last 2 weeks without having to get out the hoses.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #23

It is really warm and sunny right now however 45 mph winds are going to start in another hour. I pulled in my slides and am prepared for snow and wind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11BA91F6-A130-4837-A206-D0225BC8FDEC.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	352377   Click image for larger version

Name:	A543AB0F-9A3D-4B48-B241-355173DAA5CE.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	352378  

Old 12-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I's simple to fill your fresh water tank and store the hose. Run off the fresh tank. When tanks need emptying pull out the sewer hose; empty them and store the hose. We could last 2 weeks without having to get out the hoses.
I left my hoses out but not hooked to the faucet. They should be okay only half full of water. The sewer hose I left out but made sure it was mostly empty. The MH should be okay. I’m doing this as a test. Worst case is I’ll have to replace a water hose and sewer line.

I’m leaving the heat on at 66. According to the manual that amount of heat should make the water bay safe down to zero. The furnace sits right beside the tanks.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
It is really warm and sunny right now however 45 mph winds are going to start in another hour. I pulled in my slides and am prepared for snow and wind
You stopped too far north (or 2800' too high.) 100 miles south of you, the low tonight is 45. 60 tomorrow. Then 2-3 days of showers (which is really surprising) in the high 50's. And I'm pretty sure Yuma is even warmer, 200 miles south of you.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #26

If I read you right, you might be leaving your fresh water pump on when hooked to city water, no need and you might mess up your pump.

The weak spot in everything are the gate valves. Frozen open, no problem. Frozen closed, well potential problem. Previous poster nailed it the weak spot is the fresh water line. Sewer if left open, not really a problem because they are so big.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
If I read you right, you might be leaving your fresh water pump on when hooked to city water, no need and you might mess up your pump.

The weak spot in everything are the gate valves. Frozen open, no problem. Frozen closed, well potential problem. Previous poster nailed it the weak spot is the fresh water line. Sewer if left open, not really a problem because they are so big.
No I turn it off when hooked to city. The temperature at the coldest spot is far above freezing and because of the 2003 NT 7395 water connection I should be safe. I’ve seen others in my very short experience where I wouldn’t keep it connected.

The coldest I’ve tried this was 25. Later this week it will hit 18 and I will review my plans. I have arthritis and Dupuytren’s Contracture and my hands do not function when it’s cold.

So far at 25 degrees I’m no where near it freezing. The temp at the very coldest place was 44 degrees.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not be concern with leaving the sewer hose connected. But I don't leave the dump valve open.

Water, I have a heated hose. But before that I just filled the tank every x number of days. Rolled up the hose and put it away.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free