Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 04:49 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank not getting FULL

hi. I HOPE EVERYONE IS GOOD TODAY!!! ������2003 OUTBACK ( i wanna say 5th wheel but im new at this so maybe not). Attaching pictures for clarification... Im told it has a 30 gallon water tank. Yet when i put water in it burps alot and spits some out and only lets me fill til about 1/4 or 1/3 im guessing because i only get One shower and a sink of dishes out of it then ITS EMPTY again). Ive read some about hoses CRIMPING and also about LETTING THE AIR OUT... And i ALSO wpuld like to know WHAT IS THIS WhITE VALVE UNDER THE CAMPER FOR if someone knows... SO GLAD THIS FORUM IS HERE! Thank you all for your HELP ��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_175810.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	173248   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_175636.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	173249  

Name:	20170816_175733.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	173250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170702_145814.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	173251  

Dpmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #2

Sure is a LOT to learn about being an RV'r
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Not a fifth wheel. Bumper pull.
White valve is to drain the fresh water tank.
A shower will use all your water quickly second highest use is washing dishes.
turn the water pressure down when filling so the air has a chance to burp out. Chances are you are getting it full it is just a small tank. After it is full turn the pump on and let the air out of the lines on the cold and hot side by opening each faucet one at a time till it flows smoothly be sure to get the toilet and shower also. Opening the hot side will fill the hot water tank which could hold as much as 6 gallons. Turn everything off and go back and top it off again.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

Fresh Water Tank not getting FULL

You need to gain access to the water tank in order to physically see if it is indeed getting filled -- 3/4 - 7/8 is ok. Having gained access, you should be able to find the water tank vent and figure out what is going on.

Just to the top/right of the fill is your vent outlet. My guess is that is not hooked up.

It is normal for the fill tube to burp a little and spit some out.

Keep asking questions, we like to share information.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

Hello.and thank you so mych! Im told it is a 30 gallon tank but idk how to confirm that... Also discovered ystrday that the Camper was NOT LEVEL... So we levelled it. Filled water again after levellung and it held more water...now i know water gauges could be off but it did show from 1/3 to 2/3 full after we levelled it and added more water... Will post more questions if i have. Tyvm! ��
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #6

Hmmm. Ok. Hello and TY! Enclosed pic of the hose apparatus i belueve is part of water tank (?? but again im a newbie so??)... Anyway, all 3 tanks G, F, & B are covered over with some sort of outside "floor"?? hahaha. But the update on ONE MYSTERY is that CAMPER WAS NOT LEVEL. LEVELLED YESTERDAY. Then filled with FW again and it took more water...went from 1/3 to 2/3... Someone suggested lowering water pressure but it is very low when i fill. Any liwer would trickle..but another suggestion was getting a male fitting. I did but i thnk i need female one... Wow am sure learnin lot being a fulltime RV'r... Tyvm for your help! ��Hv a blessed day!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #7

Fresh water tank not getting FULL

Attached pics of indoor water tank hose apparatus if this helps 😊😊😊tyvm!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170817_092638.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	173389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_092630.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	173390  

Name:	20170817_092627.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	173391  
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

Ah! I see what is going on.

Your fill point is below the tank input.

You need a special hose fitting that slides about 8" inside the fill point. These cost about $10. You can make your own with a short water hose that has no fitting on the end that needs to go inside your fill point.

I use a fitting called a "water thief". It cost about $5.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Ah! I see what is going on.

Your fill point is below the tank input.

You need a special hose fitting that slides about 8" inside the fill point. These cost about $10. You can make your own with a short water hose that has no fitting on the end that needs to go inside your fill point.

I use a fitting called a "water thief". It cost about $5.
Also, i believe that little hose in the middle is the vent line. The OP needs to make sure it is not obstructed or kinked. As water goes into the tank, air is supposed to come out of the vent. The tank is full when the air stops and water begins coming out of it.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #10

Biggcrisp. I sure appreciate that inpit! Is that what i look for? "Water thief"? Where do I find it? Camper supply?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #11

Also... Which one is the FILL POINT where the water thief goes? Annd...the little hose? I take it thats the SKINNIER one? Thank yall SO MUCH!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #12

A water thief is made to push on a water hydrant that has no threads, I don't know why that was suggested.

You can push a skinny hose down the water fill to better force water in without splash back.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
A water thief is made to push on a water hydrant that has no threads, I don't know why that was suggested.

You can push a skinny hose down the water fill to better force water in without splash back.
Didn't go look it up but i was wondering why the name "water thief" would be used for this application. I still may be missing something but in my thinking, the OP simply needs a short piece of hose that has a female connector on one end (to connect to the water supply hose) and nothing on the other. Looking at the image above, i'd make sure it was longer than 8 inches, more like a couple of feet to make sure it went past the high point of the fill line. The gravity fill hole (the large hole with cap) is the one you would slowly, and not forcibly, insert this hose into.

Again, make sure the smaller vent line between the gravity fill and the city water connection is clear.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #14

Maybe someone knows somethin that we dont?? I know alot of times we can come up with unconventional solutions?�� I sure appreciate all the feedback... Im a NEWBIE RV'r and fulltime at that so having aLOT of questions come up. Everyones input is appreciated

Tags
fresh water, tank, water