Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

fresh water tanks

getting ready for first long trip...what level should i fill my water tanks to for the road trip...
Papashap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Depends on what type of RV, where you are heading, are you going to have hook-ups or not. I have a 100 gallon tank and travel with about 1/4 full. I only use it for during the trip to use bathroom and or water for various items. If we are drycamping I get water at the location or if close to the home I will fill the tank 1/2 full and go from there.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #3

we generally carry enough to allow use of the toilet and a small amount for hand washing dont need anymore weight than needed
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Papashap:

Yup, as mentioned above, ya probably only want to carry enough fresh water for a few flushes while traveling, for washing hands, and enough extra just in case ya might need to spend the upcoming night at a spot without hook-ups (ie., Wallmart, truckstop, etc.).

We've got a motorhome with a 105 gal. fresh water tank, and after dumping and flushing the black tank and adding back a few gallons so black tank doesn't run empty and dry out while traveling, and....after emptying the grey water tank to flush sewer hose before storing, we'll usually try to carry around 40 or 50 gallons of fresh water for traveling, probably no more.

Steve & Lynette
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I most often leave home with one half tank of good fresh water but if going to a place of unknown water quality I'll not hesitate travel with a full tank.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I would agree with what everyone else says. Find the balance of what you'll need for however many days you'll go without a water hook up and what you find acceptable for extra weight. You can take into consideration 5 gallons for a quick shower & a gallon to 1.5 per toilet flush. Depending on what's being flushed. Water weighs in at 8.35 lbs a gallon. If we fill our tank half way, 45 gallons, that's an extra 375 lbs. That's a lot of weight, especially if you're pulling hills. I like planning out trips as precisely as possible, for no other than reason, than it's just how I do things. Same thing at work.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

It depends on the starting, and end points, and the type (gas/diesel) of rig. The best decisions are made using current available information, not a static programed method, IMHO.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

it really does depend on what you are going to do with your RV once you get there. We always boondock, so we always travel with full water tanks and empty holding tanks. That way when we get to our destination we can stay a week or so before we have to worry about filling up with water or empty the holding tanks. "Full" for us is 70 gallons of water in the fifth wheel tanks, 24 gallons in jerry jugs in the pickup and 14 gallons of purified drinking water in one-gallon bottles under the sink). It works for us...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We try to travel with at least 1/2 tank of fresh water. Often times more. I like knowing that I have it there even though we never stay anywhere without full hook ups. With a 100 gallon tank, even if it's full, the 800 lbs of water is fairly minor compared to the 32,000 lbs overall weight of the rig.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't like to add weight to MH. I will usually carry enough water for toilet and hand washing. I will also ask the CG where I plan to stay if there is a water issue there. If dry camping I will travel with full tanks to avoid any surprises
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water