Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
From manual to motorized patio awning

Has anyone replaced their manual patio awning with a motorized one? My RV is a 2002 Land Yacht (Airstream) diesel pusher. As a solo RV'r, it is impossible to raise and lower it by myself. Even with help, it's quite the ordeal. Experience and advice is greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Cindy in CDA-

What is the make and model of the awning that is on your RV now?

My coach has a Carefree of Colorado manual awning, the kind with the springs. Carefree offers a conversion kit to remove the springs and use a manual crank instead. I installed that kit. The awning is much easier to handle now. Perhaps something similar is available for your RV.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #3

I replaced my damaged original manual awning on our 96 Fleetwood Storm with a motorized Carefree Travel'r in 2019. I could not be happier with it. The cost difference between manual and motorized was not that much and ease of use is soo much better with the motorized one. The old manual one was such a pain to put out and retract that I seldom used it.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cindy.....you need to determine how you will use your awning to decide what is best. If you like to stay in one play for long periods of time, like 7-10 days, and keep it open in the rain, you may want to stick with a manual awning and figure out a way to make it work.

If you're like us, we typically only stay in one place for a few days and we only put out the awning when we're sitting under it. As soon as we go in, we bring it in. In our situation, the powered awning is a better choice.

One of your issues may be the design of your coach (Airstream curved walls) and do you have the structure under the skin to support a powered awning (can the roof carry all the weight)
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

I briefly considered it for our 2007 Coachmen Mirada. Looking at the install data as best I could determine on a couple of models, I would have to fish power and control wiring up inside an exterior wall. Other options were out thru the roof and across the roof outside (probably in plastic conduit), or inside in exposed decorative conduit, and carefully penetrate the wall in exactly the right place with some sort of decorative cover and sealant outside.

I have run wiring under the coach and also penetrated the floor a couple of places for new 12V and Ethernet wiring. But Im not sure how I would run awning power and control wires inside an exterior wall, which is full of insulation and has aluminum struts at unknown places. I desired not to run conduit on the roof or exposed inside.

So due to the following, I opted for fabric replacement on the old manual guts:
- no good options I could think of for running wires to the unit
- expense $$$ on an older motorhome
- the units I looked at looked more susceptible to wind than the strutted manual one I have now.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

I've owned several manual awnings and all of the could be raised or lowered one side at a time although I had to do it in several steps and alternate between front and back to complete the steps. Our current motorhome has an electric awning but I wish it had a manual because it needs to be rolled up at much lower wind velocities. We dare not leave it out when we leave the site.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #7

The Duck Duck Go search engine is your friend.

Airstream Power Awning

https://www.colonialairstream.com/power-awning/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
I am in the process of Replacing the (1 year only) Zip-Dee Air/Electric patio awning with a manual Zip-Dee... It has NEVER worked like it should, even when new..
After the fiasco with the air/electric, Foretravel went with the Girard system.. Unfortunately, our coach does not have the needed backing support panels to support the Girard.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
I briefly considered it for our 2007 Coachmen Mirada. Looking at the install data as best I could determine on a couple of models, I would have to fish power and control wiring up inside an exterior wall. Other options were out thru the roof and across the roof outside (probably in plastic conduit), or inside in exposed decorative conduit, and carefully penetrate the wall in exactly the right place with some sort of decorative cover and sealant outside.

I have run wiring under the coach and also penetrated the floor a couple of places for new 12V and Ethernet wiring. But Im not sure how I would run awning power and control wires inside an exterior wall, which is full of insulation and has aluminum struts at unknown places. I desired not to run conduit on the roof or exposed inside.

So due to the following, I opted for fabric replacement on the old manual guts:
- no good options I could think of for running wires to the unit
- expense $$$ on an older motorhome
- the units I looked at looked more susceptible to wind than the strutted manual one I have now.
The teck who installed mine had similar concerns about the extra expense of installing the switch on an interior wall. He suggested that we use an waterproof switch (from Carefree) as it would save several hours of installation expense installed outside near the front support arm. I later installed a power cot off switch in the front storage bay so that the switch would be disabled when the MN was unattended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAM_2361.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	315966  
Old 01-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm wondering why deploying your manual awning is such a chore - the several manuals I've owned have all been easy enough for one person. Maybe your awning is out of adjustment or damaged, or perhaps just some friendly advise on procedure? Or maybe you need a better manual awning than whatever yours came with.

Power awnings are generally easy enough to use deploy & retract, but they often aren't as effective as manual awnings when it comes to sun & rain protection, rain run-off, and winds.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We had a manual awning on our old '94 Airstream Legacy, and now we have a power one on the present rig.

I would just as soon have another manual because the power awning as there is no way to lower it for more shade when the sun is low. Also, it has that annoying habit of dumping water off one end at the most inoppertune time.

With the manual, you can have one end low to drain the water also.

I would think long and hard about going electric. Maybe have someone take a look at yours. It might just need some adjustments like others have said.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #12

If you slide the pull strap to near the end with the latch on it you will have no more problems retracting it. Nothing says the strap has to be in the middle. On a previous trailer I did that for years with no ill effects.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Good tip. Placing the pull-strap nearer one end makes deployment quite a bit easier. I also wonder if Cindy has an awning hook and if her strap has a loop for the hook to pull. That too makes a big difference.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
It's an A&E 9000

Tags
awning, manual, motor