Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Front power shade question

Driving on I-55 in Arkansas today when passenger side power shade fell down. I have shade down. On the end of the shade opposite the motor end, there is a plastic plug that has a threaded insert that the screw that holds the shade up screws into has come loose. Can I just remove the plastic insert or how to I fix it?
I have tried to find something on the forums without success. Any help will be appreciated.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #2

I used 'L' brackets from Ace Hardware(metal) that worked great as replacements for the plastic mounts. I used the original mount holes in the ceiling and had to drill small holes in the shade end caps and installed with short sheet metal screws(SS). Those metal bracket legs are about an inch & 1/2 long x 5/8" wide.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

Did the insert come loose from the cap, or did the screw that went into the insert come loose? Either should be able to be replaced. If this screw is also the axle the shade rotates on as it goes up and down, depending on how the shade attaches to the frame, you may not tighten the screw all the way down. It may take a tiny drop of loctite to keep it from backing out. It would be different if the insert was the axle, in that case the screw would come go through the cap from the inside and the insert thread on the outside. If the inset is the axle I bet the screw would be tighten down. Again, if it's working itself loose, a bit of loctite would help. You may even see a bit of blue or red residue on the threads if it was done at the factory.

It's really hard to know from your description without seeing the shade and frame.

If you need a new insert a lot of hardware stores carry them.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Did the insert come loose from the cap, or did the screw that went into the insert come loose? Either should be able to be replaced. If this screw is also the axle the shade rotates on as it goes up and down, depending on how the shade attaches to the frame, you may not tighten the screw all the way down. It may take a tiny drop of loctite to keep it from backing out. It would be different if the insert was the axle, in that case the screw would come go through the cap from the inside and the insert thread on the outside. If the inset is the axle I bet the screw would be tighten down. Again, if it's working itself loose, a bit of loctite would help. You may even see a bit of blue or red residue on the threads if it was done at the factory.

It's really hard to know from your description without seeing the shade and frame.

If you need a new insert a lot of hardware stores carry them.
The screw is the axle. The female end which is inside the tube has gotten pushed back into the tube. The question is “Can the plastic insert in the end of the tube be removed without damaging it so as to reinsert the female end of the screw back into its correct position thus allowing me to screw the axle screw back into the end of the female part.” My concern is being sure that the plastic end plug is removable before I destroy it trying.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power