Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #1

Front Windshield Leaking, Where to Start

So when we get excessive rain, there is a pretty bad leak in the front windshield. Where should I start to look for the leak/ leaks? It runs down from the top of the windshield and pools on the dashboard. We have to put two towels down to soak up the water.

I've searched Google and there are many places to start. Does anyone have a few places that might be a first to check.

I found maybe the yellow running lights on the top, adding butyl rope to the outside windshield cover, somehow pulling the front part off inside the cab to get access to the windshield and using silicon, pulling two windshields and resealing them(if they dont crack).

If you have a suggestion, any tips would be appreciated if you have been through this.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
There are places that pressurize your whole rig by drawing air in from the roof vent and then checking for air leaks (water) from the outside with soapy water. Bubbles will appear wherever there is an opening big enough to let water in.

Check around with RV dealers, and maybe there's a mobile outfit that will come and check it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Here's a YouTube video to watch. On a trailer, but same thing for a MH.

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Well I re-sealed the front cab lights today. Now I need a decent rain storm or garden hose to check.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

Could be a bad windshield seal.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:02 AM   #6

Ours leaked after it was replaced. The curve of the windshield did not quite match the front cap so there was a gap with not enough urethane. The glass company finally pulled the glass and reinstalled after 3 attempts to fix it. Been good for a couple years now.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same thing in our '06 Itasca. The gaskets under the clearance lights were deteriorated to the point they were useless. After resealing the lights I didn't have any more leaks.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

I thought that only Winnebago had the problem.

I sealed my clearance light, but that was not my problem. My leak came from a piss poor windshield sealing design.

Winnebago glued the windshield to the steel frame. They then used double sided tape to glue a “U” shaped channel around the windshield in the gap between the fiberglass cap and the windshield. A “T” shaped rubber weather strip was put into the U channel. Water that made it past the weather strip was trapped. This caused the steel frame to rust which resulted in a leaking windshield.

My fix was to seal the edges of the rubber weather strip. I first used a clear windshield caulk/sealant sold in the automotive parts stores, Walmart, etc.. This worked for a year or so. I then tried Eternabond tape. This has worked for more then two years and shows no sign of failing.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
Well I re-sealed the front cab lights today. Now I need a decent rain storm or garden hose to check.

We once had a 5er with a water leak near a bedroom window. Turned out the front clearance lens were leaking but the bottom side was plugged with dirt. Water built-up and overflowed into the wiring hole in the front cap.
I solved the water in lens issue by drilling a 1/8" hole in the bottom of each lens.

I repaired the water damage and never had another leak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #10

sealtech leak detector or someone similar. it will save you time and frustration.
water can travel along way.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
I thought that only Winnebago had the problem.

I sealed my clearance light, but that was not my problem. My leak came from a piss poor windshield sealing design.

Winnebago glued the windshield to the steel frame. They then used double sided tape to glue a “U” shaped channel around the windshield in the gap between the fiberglass cap and the windshield. A “T” shaped rubber weather strip was put into the U channel. Water that made it past the weather strip was trapped. This caused the steel frame to rust which resulted in a leaking windshield.

My fix was to seal the edges of the rubber weather strip. I first used a clear windshield caulk/sealant sold in the automotive parts stores, Walmart, etc.. This worked for a year or so. I then tried Eternabond tape. This has worked for more then two years and shows no sign of failing.

Good luck.

My front windshield has the same design with the T shaped rubber weather strip. I noticed when I would touch the weather strip, lots of what would come out. Maybe I can also seal this weather stripping. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the water is coming in at the top- I ran a full length piece of Rescue Tape along the the top of the windshield. Half covering the rubber gasket and half on the cap. That was 3 years ago...no more leaks. BTW, you can't see it unless I point it out to you.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
If the water is coming in at the top- I ran a full length piece of Rescue Tape along the the top of the windshield. Half covering the rubber gasket and half on the cap. That was 3 years ago...no more leaks. BTW, you can't see it unless I point it out to you.
Rescue Tape is silicone and only sticks to itself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #14

Turns out the leak is still here, and sealing the marker lights on the top didn't work.

Now it's time for some rescue tape or butyl rope on the windshield.

Tags
leak, wind, windshield