Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frozen regulator on BBQ

My new dual burner BBQ now all of a sudden freezes up at the regulator and reduces the flame to a tiny flicker. Starts off fine then halfway through the cooking process goes practically out. Im using the RV tank as a source and tapped off before the attached RV regulator.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
paz

Have you recently refilled your RV propane tank? If so, you may have gotten propane with moisture in it, which would explain why the freeze-up started happening suddenly.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
High propane flow and high humidity will cause the freeze up. You could either turn the flame down and cook a bit longer or use a hair dryer to thaw the regulator as needed. Had it happen when doing a fish boil in the summer when the humidity was high.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #4

Maybe it is not actually freezing, but it is in the safety mode. Try turning everything off including the tank, removing the tank/cylinder. Now with the valve turned off reconnect the tank/cylinder. Now slowly turn on the tank/cylinder. After a few seconds turn on the burner valve and light the burners.

Most BBQ grill regulators have a safety device that limits the flow of gas if it detects a leak. If the grill valve is turned on when connecting the tank/cylinder, the regulator sees a sudden rush of gas, thinks the grill is leaking and shuts down all but a trickle.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

What Bigd9 Said

This will most often happen when you turn off the burners before you turn off the valve at the tank. When you are done cooking just turn off the valve at the tank first then let the gas burn out of the burners then turn them off. That will prevent the regulators from going in to the safety mode.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Modern gas grill regulators are of very poor quality. When my flame is inadequate and I have enough gas in the bottle, I'll often tap the regulator with a hammer. Some times it starts to work okay. And sometimes I just have to buy another regulator.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Webber Q 220 and in less than three years I've had to replace (free of charge) two bad regulators. In my case the bad regulator stopped all gas flow. I'm hoping the third one is the charm.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all! It seems the volume overwhelms the regulator so the trick as mentioned here is to sneak the flow on and avoid the safety trigger.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

well this is opposite of what anybody that i know does. its always burners off then tank as the new valve does not do funny things like shut down.. but maybe yours is different/..

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
This will most often happen when you turn off the burners before you turn off the valve at the tank. When you are done cooking just turn off the valve at the tank first then let the gas burn out of the burners then turn them off. That will prevent the regulators from going in to the safety mode.